Taurine

xahrx

Any new thoughts on Taurine as a supplement? A quick search through Pub Med shows it has some quantifiable beneficial effects.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xahrx @ April 29 2004,6:30)]A quick search through Pub Med shows it has some quantifiable beneficial effects.
It clearly has beneficial functions as do all amino acids. Maintaining cellular fluid balance being one of them.

Taurine isn't an essential amino acid however so deficiencies are highly unlikely in people with normal metabolic capacities (unlike cats).

If you can get it for free, go ahead and take it. If you must pay for it, save you rmoney and use a protein powder (or eat any protein food) instead. Its a much cheaper way to get taurine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mindwraith @ April 30 2004,8:54)]Isn't it in Red Bull?
There's a potential mechanism in which taurine may enhance the effects of caffeine... Still, the question remains, is there even enough taurine in Red Bull to so anything of that sort?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ April 30 2004,12:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mindwraith @ April 30 2004,8:54)]Isn't it in Red Bull?
There's a potential mechanism in which taurine may enhance the effects of caffeine... Still, the question remains, is there even enough taurine in Red Bull to so anything of that sort?
I don't think they print the actual amount on the label, which would be a clue that there isn't enough, kind of like that proprietary formula nonsense some manufacturers pull. As far as I can tell there haven't been taurine only studies done in humans, which to me equals out to a no go on supplementing it right now. Nothing proven.

Back