This is heavy Doc...

GreatScott

For all those who get my username and log title reference... you're awesome. Lol.

Greetings!

I've tried a lot of different workouts in the past, I've been working out for around 6 years now but clearly I've been doing something wrong. For the past year or so I've been trying to cut my way to a six pack but... at 140lbs now with a 31 inch waist and ~15% body fat I think it's time I focus on some quality bulking. It's high time I get my body where I want it to be.

I looked at HST in the past but never took the time to actually find out about it. I've read through the website, forum and read the awesome eBook. I usually get bored with "do this and keep adding weight" type approaches and love the fact HST is a cyclical approach and has a somewhat complex structure (not to mention is all research backed.)

I've also tried a lot of dieting approaches from eating whatever and not counting, IIFYM, intermittent fasting, carb cycling, low carb and counting every last thing I consume. I don't think I will eat enough of the right stuff if I don't count, so I'll be counting. I don't mind it actually, I like to have control over my diet and see things on the larger scale for a day/week. I'll also be sticking to whole (and organic where I can) foods. I'll supplement with Whey, Creatine (Kre-Alkalyn), fish oils, multi, ZMA and BCAAs. I'll also be using a digestive enzyme supplement to assist with food digestion.Once I get back to the point where I need to cut I'll most likely be using Lyle Mcdonald's Guide to Flexible Dieting principles and perhaps run Rapid Fat Loss first (although last time I did it I hated it and re-bounded hard although it worked.)

Diet should be (according to the eBook):

2400 Calories
140 Protein
325 Carbs
53-66 Fat

My diet will actually be:

2478 Calories
191 Protein
306 Carbs
50 Fat

I'll be using the following exercises:

(Would like to start using front squat but I've never added weight before, still a bit awkward on the shoulders)

A
Bench
Deadlift
Front Squat
Calf Raise
Military Press
Chins
Shrugs
Curls

B
Squat
Calf Raise
Romanian DL
Incline Bench
Dips
Rows
Tri Extension
Weighted Crunches

2x15, 2-3x10, 3-5x5 on all. Will be running this M/W/F.

I plan to begin tomorrow. I last lifted on Wednesday last week and did a conditioning body-weight circuit on Friday, I know it's not a 9 SD but I'm eager to start.

Let's do this.

Last edited:
Hi.

Do you plan on doing 12 exercises each and every workout? Thats 36+ sets some sessions.

Simplify and win ;)

Yeah, it does look like a lot. I was going to do 2 sets for only a couple of them and the rest 1 set. I was following the ebook. What the ebook didn't mention though is when you move to 10s and 5s do I stick to the same sets for the exercises?

I assume this is correct: e.g. 2x15 Squat, 1x15 Rom DL, 2x10 Squat, 1x10 om DL, 2x5 Squat, 1x5 Rom DL?

Hi.

Do you plan on doing 12 exercises each and every workout? Thats 36+ sets some sessions.

Simplify and win ;)

Generally: 2x15, 2-3x10 and 3-5x5.

But by doing RDL after squats you can do one set on the 15s and 10s then perhaps 1 or 2 on the 5s.

Id ditch shrugs, lying tricep and BB curls. You get plenty of work on the traps by doing RDL/BB rows. Use supinated grip for the chins to hit biceps and dips will hit tris.

So first workout tonight, went really well. My strength is all over the place at the moment (benching more than I squat, shrugging more than I can press lol) and for the first set of 15s I was using really light weight (squating 11.25kg + Olympic bar, lol...) although the 15s were tough on some exercises. I definitely under estimated my 15RM's ever so slightly for Squat and Military Press (or at least I think I did, weight lifted today was challenging on second squat set and both mil press sets.

I did some of the exercises at 2 sets and the others at 1. I could continue with this. It took me around an hour as there's a lot of switching up bars and benches at my home gym so the added weight may make it longer. I think I'll opt for a A/B alternating split and may run it 4x week. My only query is... what exactly is an intermediate lifter? I mean I've heard it thrown around a lot. I've squatted, deadlifted, benched and OHP'ed for at least 3-4 years now and am confidence in form, although my strength isn't great on all the lifts. Could I class myself as an intermediate given experience? Or is there some sort of strength threshold I need to get above and maintain first?

Last edited:
So I've decided to go with an A/B workout instead...

A

Bench
Deadlift
Calf Raise
Military Press
Chins
Shrugs
Curls

B
Squat
Romanian DL
Incline Bench
Dips
Rows
Tri Extension
Weighted Crunches

2x15, 2-3x10, 3-5x5 on all. Running this M/W/F. Would like to go for 4x week but I guess that would be too much? Trying to take advantage of the fact we can load a muscle again after 48 hours but I don't want to burn out.

Last edited:
Your A split seems to be a bit short of leg work really. You´re training at home arent you? You´re only doing deads for legs(if you do them properly that is) on the A split. Id try and get another leg exercise in there TBH. Why not do front squats after the deads so you´re getting two leg exercises per workout. Other than that, the split seems good. Id even do calf raises on the B split too so they´re getting targetted every other day like every other MG.

Ive started doing 4 times a week but I do upper/lower A/B. Id start with the three times per week for the time being until you get going then decide what would be better in the long run. There´s a few of us testing this out so we´ll see what others say down the road a bit.

Last edited:
Your A split seems to be a bit short of leg work really. You´re training at home arent you? You´re only doing deads for legs(if you do them properly that is) on the A split. Id try and get another leg exercise in there TBH. Why not do front squats after the deads so you´re getting two leg exercises per workout. Other than that, the split seems good. Id even do calf raises on the B split too so they´re getting targetted every other day like every other MG.

Ive started doing 4 times a week but I do upper/lower A/B. Id start with the three times per week for the time being until you get going then decide what would be better in the long run. There´s a few of us testing this out so we´ll see what others say down the road a bit.

That's a good shout, I'll add front squats into A and calf raises on both days. Be good to hear feedback on 4x frequency.

Back