tired of being embarrassed

slingblade

I am 48 yrs. of age and I am slowly re-entering the bodybuilding life style. Call it a mid-life crisis or whatever. I haven't lifted in about 15 yrs. I always became frustrated when I worked out because I felt like I was wasting my time and not seeing any improvments. Now there could have been many reasons for this so this time around I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer. I do not want to compete, I just want to be able to mow my lawn without my shirt on. The guy I'm talking too says that he would start me out on cardio till I got my body fat down and then hit the free weights. I'm 6'0 ft, 213 lbs. I have the dreaded spare tire and love handles. Most of my muscle is gone. My question is: what can I expect of the end product? Supposing I hire this cat, how long will it take before I can actually see results? I am not asking these questions to him because he has a "vested" interest. However I did tell him how unhappy I was and that I wanted to get into shape no matter what had to do or what it costs (supplements, etc.)Can somebody tell what I need to get the ball rolling. I have 24 access to the gym, with nautilis and free weights, cardio equip. etc. I want to get everything lined up so I can go full force. Sounds like I'm a poster child for Charles Atlas.........I need specifics please

Too answer honestly, a while.

It took me over a year to go from 225 to 149Lbs. Based mostly on a Ketogenic diet with aerobic work. I started weight training last may, first by using conventional volume, for about 5 mos. then I switched to HIT for about 5 mos, then to HST, started my 4th Cycle 2 days ago.

Since HST I have gone from 149 to 160, as weighed this morning. I fiqure I have a 5 year plan, and now already into it for almost two years now, I fiqure I might have to extend it a year or even two to get where I want to be, 175 @ 7 to 8%BF.

I am 40 years old so I am no spring chicken, and so I realize time although not out of reach, surely isn't on side.

Be realistic, patient and concerted in effort and you will see results.

sling-
Welcome to the forum (and hopefully, HST!). I agree with dkm- you do need to be realistic, but I'd like to offer a different prespective. I'm 54, and started to work out again (after a 20 year hiatus) about 5 years ago. Then, I hadn't heard about HST, so I basically followed the "Weight Training for Dummies" routine (no kidding- I actually bought the book, and at the time, I thought it was great- I used to be an athletic trainer, and thought it was very sensible and practical). Anyway, I went on a 1600cal diet, the so-called "ADA" or diabetic diet, that's the basis for just about any calorie diet out there. I'm not diabetic, but it's an easy diet to use, and extremely effective. No keto, no fancy stuff, just a balanced diet (about 20% fat, 40% carbs, 40% protein). I also did lots of moderate-intensity cardio- about 50 minutes of Nordic Track skiing every day. I did that for about two weeks, and then added in lifting. The lifting I did then was basically 8-10 reps, upper/lower split, 6days/week.
Long story short, the pounds peeled off, and I gained some reasonable LBM. I started at 235 (I'm 6' even) with the same tire and handles you have, I'm sure. After 10 weeks, I was down to 170- probably too fast, according to most people, but it set the stage for gaining back some LBM.
I stayed with this approach, although increasing to 1800-2000cals (all clean), and trying different HIT-style routines. I kept the fat off, but wasn't overjoyed about my progress on the LBM gains. Then, I discovered HST a couple of years ago, and have been lifting this style ever since. I now weigh 190, and I'm at about 11%BF, which I'm basically comfortable with. I'm not into competitions or anything, but I certainly don't get embarrassed at the beach, either.
Sorry for the long post- there are a number of us old folks in here, and between us and the youngsters (like dkm ;) ) we're here to help you. Feel free to read the FAQ, the Articles tab on the site, and go through the different sections of the forum, then ask away.

Good luck!
Jake

slingblade,

I understand that you hesitate to start training again. But you know, bodybuilding has gone a long way in 15 years. There are many training systems which are effective now (HST, DoggCrap, Max-OT, DFHT..).

What's more diets have also evolved. Low carb diets have proved their effectiveness. For instance I'm using a carb cycling system right now and WOW, IT WORKS.

You also have access to a lot more information through the internet and it never takes long before you find an answer to just about any question, especially if you stick to forums like this one.

So it's a good time to be a bodybuilder.. :D

Slingblade,
I am just starting my 2nd week of 10's on my first HST cycle after a 5 year total layoff from training. I've never been big but I had probably 15.5" arms when I did train. I'm 5'9 with a small frame and I use to look OK.
In three weeks on HST I've noticed visible muscle gain (I've had comments from people who see me every day) and the Stella belly is nearly gone!
If you've had muscle before it comes back reasonably quickly because of muscle memory & the more muscle you've got the quicker you will burn fat. This program rocks! Find your max's and get on it!
Cheers,
Jazzer.
:)

Life is good!!!!I finally have some time to spend on myself for a chnage. I joined a gym last week, and I certainly have noticed the improvements in training. I printed the Sample HST rountine, now if I can just figure it out. I also read the HST for dummies which kinda confused me. It says that you decrease your weigths over time but all I saw was increasinf them. I plan on training M-W-F- with cadrio in-between. I have already lost about 15 lbs on a low carb. diet and assist. from the doctors meds. I need measure mt BF so I'll know that I'm losing what I need to instead of the muscle. The trainer of the Gym is trying to suck me in on hiring him. Showing before and after pics,trophies etc. but he is wanting me on a diet of nothing but protein and water, starting me on the nautilus machines for 6-8 weeks. I asked him about isolation training and he said thaty I need to stay on the machines as they offered combintaion training.I think thats BS. I think I'll follow this HST plan. What multi-vitamins, protein etc are you guys using? I want to make sure I'm getting my 6 meals and the protein I need, but I don't want to fell tired either.

Life is good!!!!I finally have some time to spend on myself for a chnage. I joined a gym last week, and I certainly have noticed the improvements in training. I printed the Sample HST rountine, now if I can just figure it out. I also read the HST for dummies which kinda confused me. It says that you decrease your weigths over time but all I saw was increasinf them. I plan on training M-W-F- with cadrio in-between. I have already lost about 15 lbs on a low carb. diet and assist. from the doctors meds. I need measure mt BF so I'll know that I'm losing what I need to instead of the muscle. The trainer of the Gym is trying to suck me in on hiring him. Showing before and after pics,trophies etc. but he is wanting me on a diet of nothing but protein and water, starting me on the nautilus machines for 6-8 weeks. I asked him about isolation training and he said thaty I need to stay on the machines as they offered combintaion training.I think thats BS. I think I'll follow this HST plan. What multi-vitamins, protein etc are you guys using? I want to make sure I'm getting my 6 meals and the protein I need, but I don't want to fell tired either.

I take 1 Multi Vitamin, 4 Fish Oil Caps, 2 CLA caps, morning and night (minus the vitamin). I mix one whey protein mix (1 scoop) with Honey, Dried Non Fat Milk, and Creatine Pre Workout, I mix one HSN Driver, 1 scoop post workout plus 1 scoop Driver Shake around 3pm (I gave up my homemade concoction, too much lactose). I EAT 4 times per day, Brkfast, Lunch, Dinner, Prebedtime. So with the

The most important ones are

HST, Hypertrophy Specific Training
HSN, Hypertrophy Specific Nutrition

Theses are Bryan's training protocol and Nutrition Supplement Line.

Primer=Pre Workout Protein Supplement by HSN
Driver=Post Workout Protein Supplement by HSN

CLA=Conjugated Linoleic Acid -read more about it in the Supplements Threads

The only way to progress fast is to use AAS. In your age I wouldn't be surprised if a little testosterone "addition" would help, and you should be able to get it on a script from your doctor without too much hassle. Ask for 180mg/week as a starter, and then, when you've gained a little, reduce that to 100mg/week. Your wife will love you for it
tounge.gif

Jazzer, AAS = Anabolic Androgenic Steroids. Male sex hormone (testosterone) is one of these, but they have plenty of other good uses for aging men - and the dosage I recommended should be within normal ranges for a teenager *s*

Back