Too many sets?

Insane_Man

My chest is disproportionally weak compared to thwe rest of me, and I have found myself doing 6 sets on my chest every workout (Benchx1, Inclined Benchx2, DB Pulloversx2, Dipsx1) and yet I do not feel the burn. On one hand, I think that I may be overworking my chest, but I feel like I'm hardly working it at all. I am three weeks into my cycle, on my second week of 10s.

What was your cadence on the 15s? If you do 4-0-2, you should feel the burn. Also, I'd probably do just two sets of incline bench (low incline, about 15-20 degrees) and two sets of dips. On the latter, make sure you lean in with your chest and keep your elbows out.
Jake

I'm like Insane, my pec is weak and underdeveloped and moreover I cannot feel pecs burning at all.No matter if i do lots of sets lots of reps burn sets 4,0,2 tempo or whatever,i've never felt pecs burning in my lifting career.
When i try to get the burn there I end up stopping due to shoulder failure or shoulder fatigue even if i use baby weights.

Try pec-dec, it should isolate the pecs pretty well for those who tend to use shoulders & biceps during flies or shoulders and triceps during presses.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jake, I'm thinking of getting rid of flat bench and doubling up on dips; al;though I want to continue DB Pullovers, because I have heard from a few sources that if performed at my age (19), they can expand the ribcage.

Micmic, I may do pec-dec next cycle, but I left it out this cycle since I am going for pure mass. That may have back fired on me, but I'll see what happens.

It's a machine. You sit on a bench, and place your forearms on some padded handles that are around shoulder height out to the left and right sides of your torso, then bring your elbows together in front of your body. in a "crushing" motion that isolates the pectorals. Here's a pic:

www.megafitness.com/peii24-megatuff-p-l-pec-deck-mtf0021.html

Just wondering. After you guys do all of your bench presses, do you feel like your traps have been worked? What I'm wondering is if you are raising your shoulders up when you lift. It's like any time when you lift a big weight off your chest or upwards, your body will instinctively want to 'shrug' and use the traps for leverage. You have to make sure you're not doing that when you bench press. I used to do it a lot until someone noticed it and taught me how to pin my shoulders back so I don't raise them. After you do that for a while, you'll just get used to not raise them when you bench.

Insane> Do you concentrate on squeezing your shoulderblades together during the lift? That way, you exclude too much front delt action.

Flex,
No I've never really done that. I'm thinking of adding flat bench back to my routine next cycle along with flys, which I've always seen good results from in the past. I want flat bench because it allows me to do heavier weight than with incline, which will earn me better strength gains (along with my revised form). That and I now feel that my lower chest is underdeveloped.
That said, I just measured today and I gained 1.5" on my chest so far this cycle (1 week left). I'm very happy with my results!

Wow! Great results, Insane - keep it up
thumbs-up.gif

Regarding the aforementioned sqeezing tecnique I really feel that it helped me getting control of my bench press.
Not only does it releave stress off the shuoulders but at the same time it really narrows down the action to the pecs.

Back