Too much calcium?

Yeah. I calculated how much calcium I take in a day, it seems I take in around 8 glass of 250 ml milk per day, without adding in calcium from vitamins. Is that too much ?

Hey :)

Read the nutrition information label in the milk you drink, see how much calcium each 250 ml serving gives.

Andrew Weil, MD says an adequate daily intake of calcium is 1000 - 1500mg (1-1.5 g). For him, too much calcium is 3-4x that amount, which leads to side effects like constipation, dry mouth, a continuing headache, increased thirst, irritability, loss of appetite, depression, a metallic taste in the mouth, and fatigue.

However, Drs. Devendra and Wilkin, as quoted in Health Bulletin, claim that 1g of calcium a day is associated with an increased, not decreased, risk of bone fractures. This is because of bone turn-over. Our bones naturally reduce in density to build itself over again. Excess calcium slows this process, leading to more aged bone. The aged bone is more prone to fractures.

But take note that bodybuilders often have "special needs". In fact, if I remember rightly, bodybuilders need more calcium than most people because of the high-protein intake (high-protein diets cause bones to lose calcium). So personally, I wouldn't worry about too much calcium. Unless you are taking in 3+ grams of calcium every single day, I suggest that you don't worry about it too.

Regards,
-JV

Back