Totentanz Makes a Comeback

Totentanz

Super Moderator
Staff member
I figured I may as well post one of these myself...

As I've posted elsewhere, I went most of the winter with very few workouts, getting very sick and losing a ton of weight. I was actually down to a mere 190 lbs for a while. Currently, I'm back up to 208 lbs. A lot of what I lost was muscle. I know because I lost strength, and because if I hadn't lost muscle during that period, I would have been absolutely shredded.
So now I am soft, but I don't care. I want my strength back. I'm eating slightly over maintenance, and gaining weight very slowly. I don't plan on cutting for a very, very long time. I could really care less about fat right now.
When I first came back from being sick, I decided to retest my 1 RMs. With deadlifts, I was barely able to get 385 lbs an inch of the floor. There was no way it was coming up any further. That really sucked!

So... currently, I'm doing a strength focused HST variation. I started out doing 3 sets of 10 on everything using roughly 80% of my 15 rep max, and am building up to the most I can do for 3 sets of 10. I was alternating, but found that workouts were going too fast, so I've rethought what I'm doing a bit.
Since my strength levels were so screwed up, my maxes were pretty difficult to measure correctly. I've just kind of estimated some of them, estimating on the low side for some of them. I've already adjusted deadlifts and rows, since they were too easy to start off with, but I've really had a hard time gauging where I'm at with clean and press and with high pulls.

At the moment, my workouts look like this:

Deadlifts
Pendlay Rows (Alternating with Weighted Chins)
Weighted Dips
Clean and Press (Alt with High Pull)

I've dropped squats completely, just because I don't really care about my squat. I just want to get my deadlift back up and push it beyond my previous 1 RM. Good news is that it looks like I regained my strength pretty quickly.
The other day, my brother and some of his friends came over. We ended up fooling around deadlifting in the garage. Maybe that's weird, my neighbors seem to think so. But it's fun to sit around deadlifting through the afternoon. We started out wit 225 lbs on there. My brother managed to pull it for one rep. He's only 120 lbs, so that's pretty decent I suppose. His friend Robert, who is about 130 lbs, pulled it for a couple reps. There was a third guy there, Ben, who pulled it no problem.
We pushed it up to 245 and Robert pulled that for two more reps. I pulled it easy enough, as did Ben. So... we went up to 315, Rob tapped out, unable to get it off the floor at all. No surprise though, 315 lbs is a lot for someone his size. Ben pulled it with a bit of effort. I pulled it, it was kind of hard, but wasn't too bad.
So we go up to 385 lbs. Ben can't do it. I do it for a couple reps. We stick another couple 5s and a couple 2.5s on there. 400 lbs even. I get one rep, but second rep is a no go.

That was pretty cool. Kind of broke my progression, but I don't think it will matter.

Anyway, last night's workout. I hit what is supposed to be my 15 rep maxes a couple workouts ago, but I'm going to keep pushing the 3x10 until I can't add more weight, at which point I plan to drop down to 2x10 and work up to my approximate 10 rep max - I will refigure these based on my new 3x10 max (which is basically my 15 rep max..)

Deadlifts
3x10x245 lbs

Rows
3x10x155 lbs

Clean and Press
3x10x115 lbs

Weighted Dips
3x10xBW+15 lbs

Deadlifts were tiring, but I got all the reps without any real problems. I had to rest a good couple minutes between each set. Rows... I'm happy with these. My strength is returning at a good rate. All the reps were easy. I'm trying to really focus on my form with rows. My form isn't bad or anything, I'm just being absolutely sure not to raise my torso at all now. Sometimes during the later reps, I start to rock, I guess to help the weight up, but I'm not allowing this anymore.

Clean and Press... I really think I'm going to start doing these outside. Lowering the bar sucks. I'm not really sure where my max is with these, I'm trying to find it. Two 35 lb plates for 3 sets of 10 was hard. It felt like I was doing cardio. I think I can do more weight though. I guess I'll find out. Maybe two 45s next time. That would be great.
Dips really are surprising me. They are a breeze, which is puzzling since I tested my bench the other day and had a hard time with a mere 185 lbs, which is pathetic. I really hate bench. Dips will have to do from now on.

Afterwards, we screwed around with weighted hypers, played around with pulldowns and face pulls just for fun. Finally, we did SLDLs. I used the bar that I had used for rowing and did that for 2 sets of 10, so that was 155 lbs.

Oh, I guess I should warn, though it may be apparent already - I tend to go and and on, elaborating a lot about everything. So... my log may look more like a novella.

Yeah, concise is not in my vocabulary.

Interesting to drop squats...and bench. You are such a rebel.
I actually have thought about dropping squats because they are so far behind my deadlift and I am totally not built for squatting. (narrow hips, long thighs)
I secretly wish you start benching again. I suck at benching also, but as I stick with it I am making slow and steady gains.

If I had to do a consolidated workout, I would do only these 4 exercises (actually the ones I did today)
deadlift
chins
dips
press

But I like alternating exercises and will continue to bench and squat for awhile and see where it takes me. Deadlift though is my number one priority and I want to break a state record someday in a meet.

Interesting stuff, Tot. Don't worry about being long-winded...I am too.
biggrin.gif

If I understood you, you're figuring that your 15RM is about what you can do for the 3 sets of 10...correct? How long are you resting between the sets of 10? I've thought about doing something a little higher volume, but maybe split upper/lower 2x/week each so that the workouts weren't too long.

I will say that maybe it's not the best to drop something permanently just because it's not a strength. There's a guy who is a 41 year old attorney who competes in strongman events and keeps a log on bb.com. He's probably stronger than anyone I've seen on this site except Steve Jones and might even give Steve a run for his money. When a guy has an avatar of him deadlifting a car...

Anyway, he had an interesting comment the other day that I'll quote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The biggest problem that many athletes have (and I see it on this website ALL OF THE TIME and I have to say I see it with some of you dudes on this thread) is that guys want to train what they are good at. If you are good and strong on the bench, you want to bench a lot. The problem with that is that you create for yourself imbalances and you hit brick walls in progress. You should always be striving to train what you are BAD at doing. If you are an awesome bencher, give it a rest, train your lower body and start focusing on the accessory work to the bench. I guarantee that when you come back to bench you will be even stronger.
</div>

Now I sort of resemble that remark, and you're the opposite wrt bench. I'm kind of like Sci re not built for squatting. Whatever one's weaknesses and strengths, though, the point seems to be a good one. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just giving you something to think about.

Good luck on the &quot;comeback&quot; Tot.

I recently been able to start hitting it again with decent weights.

I'm really amazed at how quickly my strength is bouncing back especially with the amount of time I was off.

Good Luck and keep us updated

im somewhat of a kindred spirit as to where you are right now.over christmas i fell ill and pulled my shoulder,lost some lbm as i was in a steady cut at the time.what a mess,i lost loads of strength,which is just starting to come good and my shoulder is nearly up to scratch.

but im glad to hear you are making progress.bench and squat are my weakest execise's,but its exactly why ive chosen to put more effort into them than ever before.

good luck with the comeback.

Yeah, getting sick or injured sucks, I feel your pain guys. At least you didn't almost break your wrists because you're too stubborn to drop a badly caught clean.
biggrin.gif

Tot, I think doing the clean &amp; press is great, I just wouldn't do it for more than 5-6 reps. Form breaks down pretty quick. I'd increase the weight and as far as progression is concerned, you'll just get to push-press sooner. I'm convinced improving in the OH press and push-press is going to help boost my bench.

I know about getting sick or being hurt as I've been sick and had two surgeries for four of the past eight months. What's your diet like?

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 18 2007,01:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tot, I think doing the clean &amp; press is great, I just wouldn't do it for more than 5-6 reps. Form breaks down pretty quick. I'd increase the weight and as far as progression is concerned, you'll just get to push-press sooner. I'm convinced improving in the OH press and push-press is going to help boost my bench.</div>
Yeah, I'm finding this out. 3 sets of 10 makes it feel like I ran a mile without stopping. Heh.
I could just do them in sets of 5 to reach my rep goal. Actually, I'm finding the same to be true with high pulls as well. Especially after doing deads... last night, I had to sit down and not do anything at all for a half an hour after I finished high pulls, I was so dizzy.

I would normally agree with some of the sentiments that I should concentrate on bench even more, since I suck at it... but I really just don't care much about bench right now. I'm making decent progress in dips, so that should hopefully be enough. I don't care much about my pec development anyway...

Like Carl, what I really want to do is compete in deadlift someday. I'm going to stick to locally though, since I don't even know what the state record is here in MI.
There are meets around here all the time, I'm planning to start attending some of the local ones just to watch. Someday, when I'm actually decently strong in deadlift for my weight, then I'll give it a shot myself.

Squats... I really actually like squats, to be honest. We end up fooling around doing squats and even bench sometimes after our actual workout is done, sometimes on off days when the guys come over, we mess around with squatting too, but not a ton of weight.

Diet? It hasn't been the best. I've been real busy at work lately, so some days I don't get to eat breakfast and some days I don't get to eat anything at all until I get home. Soon, things should slow down at work and I'll get to eat more regularly. Other days, I can focus on eating a ton all day.
But I still get my protein for the day regardless. It's not too hard to make a giant shake before bed if I need a bunch more protein.

I'll be following your progress....best of luck, tot.

You may be the only lifter I know who doesn't care about pec development...lol.

And Liege gave some excellent advice, too...definitely haul more poundage rather than increasing reps.

Last night's workout:

Deadlifts:
3x10x250 lbs

Brutal! I seriously considered not doing the third set... but I did.

Rows (didn't feel like doing chins):
2x10x165 lbs
1x8x165lbs
1x2x165lbs

Yup, had to cluster. Maybe because I just did rows the other day, and had just done deads. It's possible I may have to start alternating rows with deads, or something like that, because I can see that it will get difficult as the weights progress.

Dips:
3x10x17.25 lbs

Easy.

High Pulls:
2x10x155 lbs
2x5x155 lbs

Er... Yeah, I think I talked about these in my last post. I think I'm going to drop the reps on both high pulls and clean and press down to 20 reps total, and achieve that by doing 4 sets of 5 rather than 2 sets of 10.

I am clustering where necessary to complete the reps. Might be close to time to drop reps on everything...

Slaps: I guess it's not that I don't care at all about pec development, it's just not really a priority. I have some decent size in them already, which probably pleases me due to the fact that a two or three years ago, I was totally flat chested. I'm not so much focused on size/appearance as much as I am on strength. Although... the one thing that I am concerned about, appearance-wise, is lats. I want wings! My wife swears they are big enough now, but what does she know?
And it figures, the thing that has grown the most noticeably so far would be upper traps. I can't seem to stop those things from growing. I wish my lats would respond the same!

As a side note, I've begun doing my Wing Chun drills again on my off days. I guess this would qualify as cardio. Hopefully I won't burn to many calories doing this... but it's been probably six months since I practiced my hand forms or did drills, so it's about time to get back into it.
I did this today. Warmed up with some dynamic stretches, did some punching drills, palm striking, turning punches, etc, then went into the Siu Lim Tao handform, followed by the Chum Kiu. Really, really rusty with the Chum Kiu. I'll have to work on that one some more.

Two days off, that was nice. Now, back to it...

Dropped reps a bit tonight. Doing 5x5 now for everything instead of 3x10. There was a noticeable improvement in my performance in the last reps for each lift.
Further, I've decided to alternate Rows and Deadlifts. I'll do weighted chins on the same day as deads, and drop dips on that day. So the workout now resembles the following:

Fri/Tue
Rows
Weighted Dips
High Pull
and misc junk

Sun
Deads
Weighted Chins
Clean and Press
and misc junk

I don't mind deadlifting more than once a week, but... I don't want to compromise my row, and doing high pulls and clean and presses along with it, might get to be a bit much for me eventually. I have been having some troubles with sleeping, which isn't new, I go through periods of insomnia, but better safe than sorry. I don't want to trash my CNS and get sick or something.

Rows
5x5x185 lbs

Dips
5x5xBW + 20 lbs

High Pull
5x5x160 lbs

Afterward, I did some pulldowns with 105 lbs just for fun, 4 sets of 5. Squats, 205 lbs 2x5. Pullovers with 105 lbs (I think it was? Didn't write it down...) for 2 sets of 5.

I felt a lot better after this workout than I did last time.

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 20 2007,23:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Looks pretty good Tot. How long have you been doing high-pulls? What's your 5RM?</div>
Since November or so, I think? I haven't had the opportunity to max out on it yet, but I'm going to build up to maxes in a few weeks here. I've been using a grip slightly wider than shoulder width, I don't know if a narrower grip would increase the load I can use. I feel more comfortable with the wider grip...

I thought about testing maxes before my cycle, but I figured I could just estimate some low starting weights and adjust if necessary. Besides, it gives me more room to progress.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
You still got some decent power in your pendlay rows I see. 185 this early in the cycle is impressive.
</div>

Yeah, rows have been going quite well. The last set was difficult but entirely doable. I'm quite satisfied with how those are going, especially since I'm being a lot stricter with form than I used to be, which should have made them more difficult, I would think.
Kind of sad that I was able to do 185 for 5x5, when I could barely bench 185 for 1 rep a week or two ago. Maybe my bench has improved, but... doubt it.

I've been progressing the load every workout instead of once a week like I was planning, so it's possible I may reach my maxes sooner. Once I get to that point, I'd like to take a week or two and find my 1 RMs for everything, and maybe for a few extra lifts, just to see.

Going back to bench, I think when I get back into it, I may have to find someone around here who is a bench expert and have them watch me, make sure I'm not totally screwing up on it.
Or maybe take some videos if I can get my hands on a camera. I'd like to get some vids of a few lifts anyway, like deads and rows. That would be cool.

A narrower grip should give you more pulling power. Most are weakest with a snatch grip. Try doing it with a snatch grip and you'll see.

All the rules in the world for bench brought me down to 3 things: slightly arched back, butt on the bench, and press from the sternum, using the lats as a springboard for the triceps. I guess you could add pinching the shoulderblades together as a fourth.
Can't go far wrong from there.
smile.gif
But I still hate benching.
sad.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 21 2007,20:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">All the rules in the world for bench brought me down to 3 things: slightly arched back, butt on the bench, and press from the sternum, using the lats as a springboard for the triceps. I guess you could add pinching the shoulderblades together as a fourth.
Can't go far wrong from there.  
smile.gif
 But I still hate benching.  
sad.gif
</div>
Benching can be shoulder killers, for sure.

But right on, q, with the form tidbits....

Over on elitefts.com they are having a sale on their instructional DVDs, the bench one and the squat/dl one, which are normally like $54, are only $6. I just got both. You could check one of them out if you want to learn visually instead of just reading articles.

Back