Training log. Plz feel free to comment!

gbglifter

In the proper section now:

I decided to do 12´s, 8´s and then 4´s 2 weeks each. I have one workout to do on the second minicycle(8´s). I train M,W,F. With two different routines.

1st routine: Squats, weighted chins, DB press 30 degree, DB OH press, weighted dips and standing calf-raise.

2nd routine: Deadlift, weighted chins, DB press flatbench, BB OH press, skullcrusher, standing calfraise.

I only do one set per exercise and Im done in 30-40 mins. Ive been meeting all my weight goals for each mini-cycle so I know Im getting (slightly) stronger, which isnt bad as Im doing a leangains bodyrecomp now as I want to get down to 10% BF. Ive lost 4kg during this cycle. Im aware that Im not going to be building as much muscle as I could due to my macros. Ill start a slow bulk once I get to my goal.

Ive been reading the posts here and Im intrigued regarding reptotals. If I were to do the 30 reps Id be at the gym for a couple of hours, like I used to. Im going to continue working as I do but I may do 2 sets instead on certain exercises ie squat, deadlift perhaps chins. I prioritise shorter sessions as I feel fresher this way.

Im unsure how long it willl take me to get down to 10% BF. Im probably 13-14 now. Im wondering if I should extend my cycle by doing an extra 2 weeks of perhaps 3´s. Anone else got any ideas regarding this? Should I just do my cycle then do SD and eat at maintainance?

I realise Ive already posted with my schedule but it wasnt determined then exactly how Id train this cycle.

//Chris.

Yes, definitely spend an extra 2 weeks after the 4's either trying to increase your 4RM or working in 3RM range//negatives. 4 weeks of heavy weights per cycle is by far optimal.

Personally, I think a rep total of 30 is definitely too long. It's extremely hard to justify or even manage getting 30 reps from the beginning of 5's//end of 10's or heavier. There's very little evidence to suggest a consistent rep total across different load ranges will lead to greater hypertrophy. Simply speaking, as you progress through a cycles, you want to progressively increase the load, maintain or progressively increase TUT (time-under-tension) and similarly maintain//progressively increase 'work done'.

e.g. 12-8-4-3/neg's is obviously progressing the load. Load is the stimulus for hypertrophy

Heavier reps are generally performed at a much slower rate than lighter reps, and TUT is usually consistent across the cycle.

Work-done is also often discussed as 'total tonnage', ala how much total mass are you moving throughout your cycle, the aim being to increase it from cycle to cycle (i.e. you're getting stronger), and progressively increase it within each load-range (don't drop the rep count within a load range). If you do 3x5 @ 100kg for bench (1500kg moved), you don't want to drop it to 2x5 for 105kg (1050kg), for example.

There's really no need or justification for maintaining total reps (total volume) at each load range, and doing so is almost certainly going to lead to over-training and fatigue during the 5's. Doing 6 sets of 5 will also make it a lot harder to gain strength and continue increasing the load.

Having said that, after a while you may wish to add a 3rd set to the 5's, nothing wrong with it but there's no need to increase volume if you

a) Are still growing with 2 sets
b) Are not in a definite caloric surplus

Obviously if you've lost 4kg then you haven't built muscle at all for this cycle, no reason you can't gain some strength nonetheless.

Thats me just done my final sesh of the 8´s minicycle and I was feeling strong today. Really pleased Im able to maintain/increase strength during my cut. Here´s my results:

Deadlift: 125kg(275lb)
Chins: BW(89KG-196LB) + 20KG(44LB)
Flat DB press: 47.5kg(105lb)
Stand OH BB press: 60kg(132lb)
Dips: BW + 30kg(66lb)
Stand calfraise hack: 247.5kg(546lb)

Could done more on deads, OH press, dips. The others were just right about at the limit. The only set I didnt manage on this minicycle was the seated DB press. I moved up to the 37.5kg db´s this cycle but I only managed 7reps. Ill be staying on the same weight next cycle and hopefully should be able to get it up eight times. I havent been using the BB to press and I think that may help me.

Next week its the 4´s. Im really looking forward to lifting a bit heavier weights. Ill increase as many exercises to two sets to retain volume.

I must say it feels really good maintaining strength and losing fat. Ive failed at evry single cut Ive done as Ive always been in too big a rush to lose fat and therby lost muscle volume, which resulted in me panicking that I looked tiny and going on a bulk immediately. I feel for the first time in years that I have a clear goal. Im so pleased I found this site as it reaaly suits the way I like to train and I like when science is involved when people are giving advice in physiology as opposed to broscience where guys have heard from someone who heard from someone who read it in a magazine. Feels like almost all of the training advice and tips Ive read through the years was a pile of crap!

Roll on the 4´s!!

Have a nice weekend all.

Started my 4´s yesterday. It was a tough sesh and Im aching a bit today.

Squats: 100kg(220lb) 4reps then 3+1. Didnt want to induce failure so I stopped.
Chins: 35kg(78lb) 4reps x 2
DB 10 degrees: 47.5(105) 4 x 2
Stand OH BB: 60kg(132) 4 x 2
Dips: BW + 40kg(88) 4 x 2
Stand calf: 265kg(584) 4 x 2

I probably went in a bit heavy on the squats, Ill stick with 100kg next time but make sure I do 4 x 2 then increase slightly. Im feeling a bit DOMSy today: shoulders, bi´s, glutes.

Im now down to 88.8kg(196lb) thats a decrease of 3.6kg in just over two weeks. Ive been taking a few pics each week. I can already see a difference. Ill post them once Im done cutting.

Yeah your routine is a lot like mine! It looks really well rounded.

How long have you been using IF? Do you count out your calories? Ive just kind of been winging it which I know is not the best.

Ive been using IF for 5-6 weeks. Im not too anal with counting them but I know roughly what Im eating caloriewise. Im basically carb-free on my non training days. I eat carbs after my workout and then again for my last meal, albeit less of them then. Im probably around 1300-1500 kcals on days off and roughly 2500kcals on workout days. Ive lost 6.3kg since I started. Ive got used to not eating until 1pm without any major problems. Im not losing any noticable lean mass. Im increasiing strength. Ive managed to get rid of my sweet tooth. I could binge on chocolate and buns n stuff previously but Ive found will power and am, for the most part, not even tempted.

Im eating about 800g of meat each day: ca 1000kcal(200g+ protein) and 1kg veggies: ca 250kcal. A bit of sauce and Im around about 1300kcal. Ill just add carbs on my training days. Its usually nachos or fries or potatoes if I can be bothered boiling them. Its pretty simple. Im just sticking with that level for the time being. I may have to cut down on my carbs a little once I lose a bit more.

Wow 1KG veggies?? I don't know how you manage to force that many in, thats good though most bodybuilders ignore their veggie intake. That is a lot of weight to lose without losing noticeable mass, good for you on everything. Personally Im not sure if fasting is for me because Im losing weight way too rapidly, I may just need to increase my cals though.

Youre probably just on too big a calorie deficit. The only real reason fasting is good for me is that when I eat breakfast I also eat lunch, dinner, supper etc. Im stuffed after every meal this way and never have to go to bed hungry.

How heavy are you? How do your macros look?

Re: the veggies. A 1kg bag of frozen veg. Boil it. Split it into three portions. A third of a kilo at each meal. Easy-peasy!

Thats the final sesh of my 4+s minicycle. I felt really strong today and managed more than I thought. Ive got a lot more in me than I thought. I was almost at failure on DB chestpress and chins. I did as follows:

Dead:140kg 5reps x 2 Could have done 10 reps twice!
Chins:30kg 4reps x 2 plus an extra wo BW 11reps.
(10degreebench) db Chest: 50kg 4 reps then 3+1
BB OH press:65 4 reps x 2 plus 50kg 9reps
Dips: BW + 45KG 5reps x 2
I used another calfpress today as Im a bit tired of loading 300kg on the hack to do 2 sets then remove them!
Finished as per with standing cablecrunches.

My PR on the dead is 1 x 180kg. I fell as if Im not too far away from 200kg+ there. The chins were wo BW were piss-easy. I feel like I could do about 30 chins in a row now and with strict form. I havent lost any weight this week though as I had a major beer-sesh last weekend and my girl and I gorged on tacos yesterday. I love tacos!

3´s as of Monday. Theres a few exercises I think Ill be inceasing fairly moderately and others, like squats, where Ill be a bit more conservative with the increases. Training hasnt been this fun in.....ever!

Started my threes today. After the initial anger at all the unfit and weak new year resolutionists clogging up the gym I managed to get going. I didnt manage to do my squats as the three "racks" were being used by the same people for over half an hour. When they were free I didnt have the energy to squat.

Chins: 32.5kg 3reps 3 sets plus 10reps WO BW
DB press 10 degree on bench: 52.5kg 3 reps 3 sets
Dips: 47.5kg 3 reps 3 sets and 15reps WO BW
BB standing OH: 70KG 3 reps 3 sets
Standing calfs: (different machine) then heavy standing cable crunches.

Very pissed off at not being able to squat today. I was thinking about going tomorrow just to squat but Ill leave it. Do deads on wednesday and then squat again on friday. I finish work an hour earlier on fridays so its usually quite chill when Im there then.

I measured myself on the scales today and Im now at 86.9kg(191.5lb) Minus shoes and shorts etc Im probably closer to 85(187lb). I felt my abs directly after I got changed and they havent been that prominent/protruding in years. Like since I was 24. Ive got a fat/caliper measuring booked in four weeks. I believe Ill be at my goal by then if not surpassed it!

Today was tough. I was almost at failure, if not already there a couple of times. I had to cluster once.

Deads: 150kg 3reps 3 sets
Chins: BW + 35kg 3reps 2sets then 2+1 on the last set plus 10 WO BW
DB 30degree on bench: 47.5kg 3reps 3 sets plus 37.5kg 7reps
Standing BB OH: 72,5kg 3reps 3 sets
Dips:BW + 48.75kg 3reps 3 sets plus 11reps BW only
Standing calf raises.
Standing cable crunches.

I almost went to failure on my 3rd set of chins and therefore had to cluster it. The last set of my db chestpresses went to failure if Im being honest. Ill probably stay with that weight for the next time round, likewise the chins. The dips are starting to kill me! The first rep on the way down I can feel my shoulders and elbows straining like hell just to retain form. Ill probably not be increasing much for the rest of the cycle on them either.

Then Im wondering how I should do the eccentrics. Im unable to do eccentrics on squats, deads, OH press. I should be able to do chins and db press. But the db´s only go up to 55kg at my gym. That doesnt seem enough as Im able to press the 52.5´s for three reps already. Looks like Ill be extending the 3´s a couple of weeks longer.

Any advice?

Last edited:
That is some heavy lifting. Be careful! It sounds to me that you are peaking and at the end of a cycle. Time to SD, and start over with some higher rep stuff. You can keep going with 3s, for as long as you want. Weeks on end even. Ultimately, it is a matter of if you still growing and not simply killing your joints with the loads...only you can really tell.

I still feel Im growing but it may do me a lot of good to SD soon. I might just do that after this mini-cycle. Ive got 4 more sessions to go and even without adding weight Ill probably still have enough load to enduce hypertrophy. I was really wanting my SD to coincide with my trip back over to Scotland. Looks like Ill start another cycle before then and try and get a session or two in when Im over. There isnt, however, a gym back in my home town. I had to drive for miles to find any the last time I was over.Ive noticed the difference between swedes and brits: swedes go to the gym after work, brits go to the pub. All you have to do is take a glance at a cross-section of each public and you can see its apparent. Im half scot and half swede so Im allowed to slag both off!

1st: congrats on Scottish heritage, it's awesome :D

2nd: just continue your cycle until your trip. It won't hurt you; you can keep the load where it's at if you don't think you'll be strong enough to raise it, or just raise it for whichever exercise feels appropriate and leave the rest where they are.

3rd: SD works most effectively when it's done for a good 12-14 day. 9 is the bare minimum. You if you stop your cycle a couple of days early it's no problem, maybe even better for hypertrophy.

4th: You can always do some light BW movements over there as a pseudo-15s/10s start to your cycle. Pushups w/chairs for greater depth, chins/pulls on whatever you can find, two legged progressing to one-legged squats etc.

Back