Two routine questions

sheepofdoom

Hi, new guy here.

I've been reading up on HST for a few weeks now; currently figuring out my maxes so I can start SD and begin my first cycle. I've got two questions that I haven't found answers to on the boards yet.

1) I'm a lazy sack and don't find time for a lot of weight training. What I usually do is regular hiking and swimming. Currently, I pop over to the local gym on my lunch break and swim a kilometer or two (20-30 min) daily. I also like to go backpacking one weekend a month.

I will be doing my HST routine after work, so I'd get 4 hours of rest or so after swimming. Would either of these interfere with the program enough that I should stop doing them while I'm on an HST cycle? I assume swimming would be too much training during SD, correct?

2) I have a relatively weak core, so I'd like to work on my lower back as well as my abs. I was considering weighted back extensions along with crunches. But the weight necessary for my 5 rep max is honestly a little more than I'm comfortable with, seems like a good way to strain a disk if I'm not extra careful. Any other suggestions for a back exercise, or tips on back extensions?

Thanks for your time, It's really cool how helpful this community is on a lot of the questions.

for HST purposes do deadlifts for lower back.
after workout do some planks or hyperextensions non weighted.
swimming or backpacking wont interfere with weights as long as you take the 4hrs and have some food ie protein,fats,carbs, inbetween.
for sd swimming might not be a good idea but walking is
cool.gif

I agree with Faz. Deads and to a lesser extent squats will really help strengthen your lower back. Weighted extensions are a good exercise (bit more like an iso) but deads will get the job done for a lot of muscles at the same time.

If you want to make good progress with HST then you will need to consume enough calories to cover your BMR, swimming, training and allow enough extra for growth.

I would have thought swimming would be OK during SD. You could reduce the intensity a bit if you usually go for timed sessions.

Just my two cents: I would go ahead and start HST without changing anything in your current exercise routine. Keep swimming, keep hiking. Then as things progress you will see where you need to make modifications. For example, if your hiking begins to suffer from your last leg workout, you will have to either cut back on the weights or hike a little less. Same with swimming.

What you do will depend on your priorities at the time. But I think until you are actually doing both your won't know when and how much to change things.
smile.gif

I think if he does a regular routine though, he might burnout. I am not sure about the no weighted workouts but you should have no problem w/ them.

From past experience though, Taekwondo everyday+full body everyother day=burnout/no gains

<div>
(Cova @ Dec. 02 2006,14:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">From past experience though, Taekwondo everyday+full body everyother day=burnout/no gains</div>
Conversely, with my past experience doing Wing Chun daily and HST three or four times a week = awesome gains as long as I ate enough.
Most of my mass that I have now was gained back then. So... I'm going to echo what bryan said and say to just keep doing what you are doing. Eventually you will see where you have to adjust, just like I did.

So you think it would be ok to go monday-thursday and workout monday and wednesday? Right now I am just doing TKD on my off days.

Back