Weight vs Feeling it

ian

For some body parts (mainly traps and calves) I hear conflicting veiws....

I feel cavles and traps when I go really light, the exercises feel great.
However all the massive people I know say youve got to go heavy on these execises to get any benefit.

The start of the 15s felt far better than the maxs on these bodyparts.
However Arnies idea (for calves) was.... when your walking each leg must lift your body weight, therefore to feel any difference you must lift a lot more than twice you body weight. This sounds logical, but it is difficult to lift massive weight at the extreme points of motion that you are not used to.

Which one. I mean I really feel it if I just tense any bodypart, but i wont get bigger from it. So is it really heavy or light so I feel it?

You have to remember that calves are used all the time and they are one of the toughest muscles to get bigger. Focus more on the movement and try to make it wide. Wider than with walking. There is no point using heavy weights if you cannot make the movements properly.

What you mean by feeling i suggest lactic acid when you are doing high reps. That`s not what you want.

Nice one, but not quite right.

By feeling it, i dont mean lactic acid, I mean on every rep, even the first I can feel it (not the best description)

EG everyone in the gym I speak to says youve gota do super heavy shrugs. However if i stick 8 plates on, im not getn that extra bita movement and i just feel like im shiftn the weight.
If I put two plates on the bar (60kg), although its no weight at all, I geta good strech and i feel like im working the muscle.

Point is if I go light I may just be flexing the muscle, hence it feels good. + everyone sez go heavy?

Back