What Causes Soreness

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Release of algesic substances in human experimental muscle pain.

Tegeder L, Zimmermann J, Meller ST, Geisslinger G.
Pharmazentrum frankfurt, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: We employed the 'delayed onset of muscle soreness' (DOMS) and the 'hypertonic saline' muscle pain models in combination with muscle microdialysis to evaluate the role of potentially algesic substances (lactate, glutamate, prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), nitric oxide (NO) and substance P (SP)) in the development of human muscle pain. METHODS: DOMS was induced by 2 sets of 50 concentric/eccentric contractions of the calf muscles 24 h before the start of microdialysis. During microdialysis pain was stimulated through calf muscle contractions (dorsal and plantar flexions of the foot). Hypertonic saline was injected into the biceps muscle (5 x 200 microl 5.8% NaCl, 2 min interval) during dialysis. The calf (no treatment) and biceps (normal saline) of the other side was used as control. RESULTS: Both models reliably induced muscle pain with similar intensities as assessed by visual analog scale. The DOMS exercise caused an increase of lactate in serum and the calf muscles of the DOMS leg. In addition, glutamate, PGE2 and substance P dialysate concentrations increased following contraction-induced pain stimulation (peak concentrations 125 +/- 20 microM, 239 +/- 45 pg/ml and 60 +/- 11 pg/ml for glutamate, PGE2 and SP, respectively). This increase did not occur in the control leg (peak concentrations 97 +/- 12 microM, 114 +/- 26 pg/ml and 46 +/- 9 pg/ml for glutamate, PGE2 and SP, respectively). Concentrations of nitric oxide were lower in the DOMS than control leg, particularly during the first 4h of microdialysis. Injection of hypertonic saline into the biceps muscle caused a significant increase of dialysate glutamate concentrations (peak 50 +/- 3 microM) whereas glutamate remained constant after injection of normal saline (mean 26 +/- 1 microM). Injection of hypertonic saline had no effect on lactate, PGE2 or NO levels. CONCLUSION: Our data support the notion that an inflammatory reaction may be involved in muscle soreness following eccentric exercise, whereas the injection of hypertonic saline into the muscle probably directly stimulates muscle nociceptors and causes glutamate release.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Controlled Clinical Trial
PMID: 12234056 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

114_diagram_1.gif

Stepping in front of a moving bus ?

Edit: Sorry, that's the first thing that came to mind and I just coudn't resist
laugh.gif

Calcium stimulates muscle fibres to contract. Calcium ions accumulate within the muslce fibre causing the release of protease (ase basically means to break down, so protease is to break down protein) that results in muscle fibre breakdown. The soreness is due to the "formation of degraded protein components", or dead tissue. The body initiates a clean-up phase. The muscle produces a stress protein to stop further damage. Histamine, serotinin, potassium and others accumulate and this causes inflammation. Once these substances reach a certain level they activate nerve endings. This could be why it is 24-48 hours later that you get doms, after the accumulation of these substances.

How come after you have a long break from working out , and the first day you workout , you get SUPER SORE , but if you continu working out daily you dont get sore anymore ( or very very little soreness ) ? arent the muscle still ripping ?

Whatever causes it, i value it, partly due to a (somewhat unjustified) belief that it is correlated with growth; but also coz i can feel my muscles much more viscerally than usual.

Thats because its not the microtrauma that is causing the pain directly, its how the body reacts to the trauma. The tramua can still happen without the pain, becuase the body changes its way it reacts to the prostaglandins involved.

if i dont feel sore the day after the workout does it mean that i could have workedout alot harder ?

My first workout i felt sore on my whole body , now after workouts im very very little sore...
I tried to workout pretty hard my last workout to see if i could get soreness the day after ( today ) , i dit 1 more set of everything that i did , and today im not feeling very sore either...

is soreness in anyway related to the effectiveness of a workout ? or not ... i dont know why but i feel like i had a much better workout when im sore... cuz i can feel it

Back