What do you mix your protein powder with

bandekk

Now I've finally got some whey protein powder, vanilla flavoured, what can I mix it with to make it taste better. So far I've tried strawberries, and nesquick chocolate powder + millk.

What about putting it in some food etc.

Please let me hear your own methods, however quirky

thanks

Kev

I just dump my chocolate whey in a half cup of water, mix the bastard, and chug it. It's not necessarily gag-worthy, but holy cow is it rancid. My next purchase will definitely be vanilla.

-Calkid

I will tell you that vanilla in water won't be as "tasty" as chocolate - just to warn you.
butbut.gif

I will mix mine in water or skim milk normally, & down it. It helps if you plug your nose/not breathe until you can eat or drink something else - I'm serious.

Otherwise, I've done the following:

- for a post-workout shake, I mix it with milk, FF vanilla yogurt, ice cubes & banana or other fruit & put in a blender. Makes a very tasty shake.
- I have put it in oatmeal (after cooking the oatmeal); have to mix it very well.

You can also mix it in pudding, pancake batter, etc. - though I haven't tried these personally. Like I said, usually it's with water & "down the hatch".

Most everyone I know prefers chocolate whey over vanilla, no matter the company. Anyway, just mix it with water and pound it like there's no tomorrow.

Dear bandekk,

As indicated in the other posts, there are numerous things you can add to your protein drink for alteration of texture, flavour, caloric content etc.

It is advised that, prior to working out, a fast digesting protein is ingested for the purpose of hyperaminoacidemia i.e. the flooding of your bloodstream with amino acids. Thus, in your pre-workout drink, do not add anything that can potentially slow gastric emptying. This means nothing with fibre or fat. Thus, the best would be to mix your whey with water and if you must, nesquick or whatever carbohydrate-based flavouring (malted barley etc) if whey alone is unbearable.

The post-workout shake is different from the pre-workout shake. Post-workout, hyperaminoacidemia takes second place to a slower, continuous supply of nutrients. If you are on a strict carb-free diet, then this shake can consist of protein powder, thickened cream, peanut butter and sugar-free flavouring. If not, add anything that catches your fancy: fruit -fresh or canned, ice-cream, yoghurt, butter, butterscotch, cookies, candy bars, honey - blend the whole thing until a desired consistency is achieved then drink up.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Strangely the GNC 100% whey I get tastes just fine. I mix it in about 2 cups of water, milk, or 1 cup water and 1 cup milk..then after drinking that I fill the glass back up to get the remainder and drink that while I down my vitamins.

I also mix it with creatine before workout.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I have bitten the bullet and now just down it with semi skinned milk, or just water alone, I think I must be getting used to the taste.

One other question though, it looks like I will struggle to get the required 200g per day needed with the two doses of whey (totally 34-50g depending on mix) and my normal meals, is there any reason why I cannot just top up with the Whey protein, until I reach the quota. Are there any negative results by taking too much Whey?

thanks again
Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dianabol, The post-workout shake is different from the pre-workout shake. Post-workout,hyperaminoacidemia takes second place to a slower, continuous supply of nutrients. If youare on a strict carb-free diet, then this shake can consist of protein powder, thickened cream, peanut butter and sugar-free flavouring.

Dianabol, great post
thumbs-up.gif

Is this your post workout drink when you are try to get lean / cut ??

Thanx
Mikeh

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now I've finally got some whey protein powder, vanilla flavoured, what can I mix it with to make it taste better.

find an alternative protein powder that you like the taste of when its mixed with water or skimmed milk. there are some out there.

I love this shake:
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 cup fat free milk
1-2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1 frozen banana, sliced

Mix it up in the blender. This is delicious if you like bananas and PB. I think shakes taste much better if they are extremely cold, so any fruit you add -- make it frozen fruit or add ice cubes. You can freeze whole bananas in a ziplock and then take one out as you need it and slice it.

:D

I like to add 2 scoops of vanilla whey powder to oatmeal (steel cut or Scottish oats - don't bother with rolled or "quick" oats!) for breakfast #1 when I'm bulking. (Breakfast #2 is always half a dozen eggs or more.)

Interestingly, the whey seems to cause the oatmeal to become less thick in consistency...one would expect adding a dry powder would make it thicker! Maybe there's some kind of enzymatic action happening, predigesting the oatmeal or something...anyone here have an explanation???

Other than that, I agree that chocolate flavored whey powder tastes better by itself. But for mixing I usually prefer the vanilla or unflavored whey, although the vanilla whey I just got from GNC has a very bitter aftertaste compared to others I've tried.

bc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bandekk @ May 01 2003,9:10)]One other question though, it looks like I will struggle to get the required 200g per day needed with the two doses of whey (totally 34-50g depending on mix) and my normal meals, is there any reason why I cannot just top up with the Whey protein, until I reach the quota. Are there any negative results by taking too much Whey?
thanks again
Kev
No proplem with drinking more whey. But if you are only drinking whey, drink the extra glasses with your meals. this will slow its absorption. If you are using a slow protein like Driver go ahead and take it any time with or without meals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ May 01 2003,11:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dianabol, The post-workout shake is different from the pre-workout shake. Post-workout,hyperaminoacidemia takes second place to a slower, continuous supply of nutrients. If youare on a strict carb-free diet, then this shake can consist of protein powder, thickened cream, peanut butter and sugar-free flavouring.
Dianabol, great post
thumbs-up.gif

Is this your post workout drink when you are try to get lean / cut ??
Thanx
Mikeh
Dear Mikeh,
This drink can be taken when I am trying to get lean or gain weight.
If I were trying to get lean, I'd count rather carefully the calories in the shake and would have to make sure that such a drink does not exceed my calorie allowance.
On the other hand, if I were trying to gain weight, I'd still keep an eye on the caloric content of the shake so I'd know exactly how to fine-tune my diet.
Calories aside, I have a disdain for dietary carbohydrates, thus the use of sugar-free flavourings. I am an advocate of a high-fat/protein type diet, having been on the high-carb bandwagon for way too long and too fat... You can read more of this diet at: www.metabolicdiet.com
Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Dianabol, thank you for your reply.

I have followed Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale sense The Anabolic Diet
and will use a diet like metabolicdiet (30 carbs before / 30 after)
next cycle when I start to get lean.

I'll miss those after workout Driver ice cream malts
sad.gif

Back