What do you think about my routine?

julguribye

Hello, new guy here  
tounge.gif

Here's my first new HST program, please tell me what you think. I'm starting of pretty light.
Feel free to critisize.

I'm 20 years old 166 lb and 5'9 ft and have been lifting weights half-hearted for about two years.

Note: The weigth is in kilos.

Looks cool to me, only a few corrections!

Squats and Deads on same day is gonna get tough, split them so that you do deads once weekly (Wednesday), start with the heavy exercises first, do not end with shoulders, do them rather after bench.

If you have worked out your RM's then the weight is fine, 15's are always lighter but they have a different function!

I wouldn't drop so low with your db weights for shoulder press. Use a smaller increment. You are still increasing the weight by over 5% each session.

For 15s do: 9,10,11,12,13,14
For 10s do: 13,14,15,16,17,18
For 5s do: 17,18,19,20,21,22

If you can't do single kg increments then do 10,10,12,12,14,14 etc

I would do shoulders before arm isos but, like you, I like to do them after my back exercises so my triceps have more time to recover from chest work. However, like Fausto, I find it's a good plan to do your heavy stuff first when you are freshest. Up to you though. As long as you don't compromise the loads you can use for your big lifts.

I think we should make this routine a sticky.
biggrin.gif

I think you need to forget about isolations at this point and concentrate on moving a lot more weight in the big exercises. Alternate A&B workouts MWF:

A: olympic squats, bench, 90 degree bent rows, standing OH press
B: deadlifts, dips, chins, standing OH press

You probably don't have to stop after only 8 weeks, you can probably go right into a type of Rippletoe 3x5 routine i.e., a couple of warm-ups and 3 top sets at the same weight and gain some more strength.

Back