What do you think?

Agreed. Talk about discipline, devotion, and general well being. He means business when it comes to living in a healthy way.

Or so i think ... he does go against alot of rules ... but he's basically eating paleo and raw.

If you read his 'thoughts' he mentions alot about hybrid cars, and fuel cells, and cleaning up the environment, air, etc.

Only thing i question about his diet is the raw meat idea. I've allways thought paleo diets were pretty cool, seems like the cleanest way one could eat. But not cooking meat would be gross as hell, he's saying it's dangerous to eat it cooked, EVERYONE else says the opposite.

I also question his training ideas. The second I read "HIT" I kind've lost any faith. I do support some of what he discusses in terms of dieting, but I've seen people live into their 70's and 80's while eating meats and other cooked foods. Unless I want to live past then, when I'm old and feeble anyhow, I think I'll stick to cooking my food time and again.

And that whole thing about eating raw butter is kind've gross. I also don't see him mentioning any sort of EFA's. If he's so health conscious, he should think a bit about that.

All the meats and eggs he eats are from grass fed or free rangs animals. The eggs, and fat of animals actually from the wild (so to speak) have omega 3's in them. It's the chickens and cows we have cultivated, fed #### and getting no exercise all day, that are full of such bad fats.

That probably wasn't worded right. But from what i've read, free range, natural growth of animals makes their consumption very healthy for us as well. Think fish. Protein and good fats.

Personally i think it's really cool. I like paleo type diets anyways, i just don't see how to get a higher carb diet out of them. You can only eat so many fruits and veggies have #### for carbs.

I tried the raw thing for one day .... so nasty it's ridiculous. Raw eggs i'll eat anyways, raw ground beef was pretty bad, and poultry was the worst.

I just think it would be cool if the answer was right there all along. Just eat what we NEVER have really touched. I never thought about cooking something as being a sort of 'proccessing' of foods, but it obviously is.

Lance be very careful with any raw meat, the increases in bacterial infection goes up.

Wow, what a crock. This guy is wacked. That is total nonsense about cooking food. Ever heard of boiling or steaming or baking? No burning involved, and many veggies have nutrient availability increased by cooking, not to mention killing parasites and bacteria in meat.
dozingoff.gif

Paleo = new age fantasy, not science.
Plus what Dan said. Ever heard of salmonella, among others?
crazy.gif

Sure, natural range animals can be healthier, but cook the things first!

Yeah the only meat i eat uncooked is eggs. I just don't have a problem with throwing some in a protein shake, blender, or cracking them in a cup and gulping them down for that matter.

I couldn't handle eating meat raw i don't think. I think if we ate it like that since we were born then it wouldn't be a problem, we'd probably have immunities to any real threats.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lance @ June 19 2005,11:37)]I think if we ate it like that since we were born then it wouldn't be a problem, we'd probably have immunities to any real threats.
Not true, we can not develop immumity to some parasites and some bacteria. Eating raw meat is not all that smart. Now with mad cow disease out there it's even more foolish.

Speaking of paleo, his timeline is a little off, homo sapiens have been cooking meat for most of our existence, this practice started with homo erectus, note the difference in jaw musculature between early erectus and later eructus in the fossil record.

not to mention I don't understand the fascination with paleo diets. Since when does "natural"/old = healthy? Last time I checked, these people lived to be about 30 years old, if they were lucky. Whatever.

I wonder that too if it really is the healthiest way to eat. I don't see anything wrong with oatmeal, potatoes, and what not. But if paleo is the optimal menu for health, then i'd eat like that. Only thing that really changes is your carbs solely come from fruits and veggies, no more potatoes and etc.

Well my great grandmother lived to be 90+, and she ate pasta all the time. A glass of wine a day. My uncle's father lived to be 60-70+, and he ate like complete garbage.

I mean, I don't think there's much hidden in this "paelo" diet bull. You're not going to live much longer, and if you do, your friends won't follow the same diet, so you'll be lonely anyway.

has anyone heard of the term: metobolic type?

this is a proven nutritional model that is based upon hundreds of years of research, clinical observation, experimentation, etc. the problem with all "diets" is just that, THEY ARE DIETS! they aren't lifestyle changes and are usually supported by no more than a few misleading studies that really proved nothing. The "Paleo Diet" is just another diet, since it doesn't take into account a persons heritage, blood type, biochemical individuality, etc.

as for the raw food issue...i pose this question: if eating raw meat is so detrimental, then how have the eskimos, monsaii tribes in africa, the hunza tribes and many other societies lived for centuries this way?

this certainly does not mean that you should run out to your local supermarket and start tearing into the chuck steak while you're in the checkout line! but it does put a large dent into the information that has been force- fed to you by large corporations, the dairy industry as well as the government. the reason meat kills people is that that particular piece of meat was bad...and why is the meat bad? that is the million dollar question that when answered, leaves you a little weary of the "food" that we americans eat!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nellyboy @ June 19 2005,7:21)]has anyone heard of the term: metobolic type?

this is a proven nutritional model that is based upon hundreds of years of research, clinical observation, experimentation,

as for the raw food issue...i pose this question: if eating raw meat is so detrimental, then how have the eskimos, monsaii tribes in africa, the hunza tribes and many other societies lived for centuries this way?
Yes, and any human can adapt to differing "lifestyle changes". Therefore the term metabolic type is in itself a fallacy because the metabolism of a human is dependant on an environmental influence not a genetic. As far as how you work versus how I work there is no major difference metabolically speaking.

That is very much still up for debate.

They didn't, most of their meats where either dried, salted or cooked. Drying and salting was a practice used to eliminate parasites and bacteria and to help keep the meat from spoiling. Granted there were times that eating raw meat was a necessity but this wasn't the norm.

do you know how long it takes for the body's digestive system to "adapt" to this new food? the answer is up for interpretation...but i can tell you one thing...it's much longer than our lifespan.

as for your statement " because the metabolism of a human is dependant on an environmental influence not a genetic"

how can you say genetics do NOT play a significant role in digestion? after all where we come from determines many of our other traits. if you are of scandinavian, russian, irish and italian decent, how could you think that eating the same as a person with native american, mexican and syrian decent would bring about health and vitality?

a quick look around you while in public should show you that the current models of nutrition are not working....especially when it comes to the illustrious food guide pyramid! a more personalized, scientific approach to health and vitality is necessary. metabolic typing is just one part of that. without adequate and correct movement, quality water, correct breathing mechanics, adequate sleep and daily exposure to sunlight, metabolic typing will only get you so far...although it's probably the most important of them all, since everything that we are made of, comes from what we eat!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nellyboy @ June 19 2005,8:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]do you know how long it takes for the body's digestive system to "adapt" to this new food? the answer is up for interpretation...but i can tell you one thing...it's much longer than our lifespan.
Yes, and my point is exactly that, as a race humans have been cooking their food for well over 300,000 years, some resources say as long as 1.6 million, therefore we have adapted to cooked food. To try and go bak now to a paleo lifestyle is BS and this gentleman is simply basing his belief on unsound speculation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you are of scandinavian, russian, irish and italian decent, how could you think that eating the same as a person with native american, mexican and syrian decent would bring about health and vitality?
What difference dose this make? It doesn't matter what your nationality is. This is a matter of environment not genetics. If I were from Siberia, it wouldn't matter to my metabolism what national origin the food came from as long as the nutritional requirements were there for health.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a quick look around you while in public should show you that the current models of nutrition are not working....especially when it comes to the illustrious food guide pyramid!
This is because people eat too much SH*T not because of their nationality of the origin of the cuisine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a more personalized, scientific approach to health and vitality is necessary.
No more reason in your food choices is what is needed and less believing the latest Article in Miss Magazine

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]since everything that we are made of, comes from what we eat!
Exactly, no matter where these nutrients came from or where you came from, your body, my body, everyone's body needs the basic nutrients to survive.

It's really not all that difficult to see that all these BS DIET guru's are after one thing. Your check book. To say you must eat this way because you have this metabolic profile or this blood type is bunko. How do you even know what your metabolic profile is? Your body is a hell of a lot smarter than you think, it can adapt, it has adapted, it will continue to do so.

Back