What percentage of total calories is breakfat ?

They say that breakfast is the most important meal and you should not get rid of it or reduce calories from breakfast.

When you are dieting, what percentage of total calories comes from breakfast ? What percentage of total calories would come from pre/post workout meals.

My experience is that these meals are usually quite big and consume most of the daily caloric budget. If this is the case then there are extended periods during the day when there is no food intake. is this OK ?

Rainier.

Ideally you would eat most around your workout. That will be the most energy-expending activity of your day.

I think the metabolic rate peaks around mid-day. I don't like eating a heavy breakfast, but my appetite is worked up at around early-morning.

That said, outside the 3-4 workout window, it makes little difference if you split down your meals. If you only eat 2 or 3 meals a day, then sure emphasize the breakfast. Once protein is digested, they must be used within 3-4 hours. Thus ideally you'll want some protein every 4 hours or so.

cheers,
Jules

Breakfast is definitely the most important of a day's meal, but that does not necessarily mean it should be biggest.

Breakfast is the first meal after many hours of not eating -- your literally break the overnight fast. It's important to raise your body's metabolism for the new day. But that doesn't mean it has to be huge.

pre workout during workout and after workout should be about 75% breaky 20% and 5% for the left over meals.

asumming your doing 200 carbs a day,

But if you take into account that glycogen repletion takes place in the ~12hours after training, this doesnt allow for maximal glycogen storage prior to the next session

Back