What Should Exercises FEEL like?

wrestlingmark

I was wondering what an exercise should feel like during a set of _(insert example exercise)? Should you feel constant tension during the whole set? I just thought of this recently while testing my maxes. I used very little weight, yet i felt the muscle working during every rep.

That`s the way to do it. Feel your muscles! Muscles don`t know how much weight in lbs/kg`s you have in your set. What counts is that you are able to feel the movement. When i realized this everything changed. Hardest part was to leave the ego to the locker room. I feel sorry for those guys who has to put as much weigh as possible and then do the worst movements i`ve ever seen.

But how it feels....well usually after only one set i feel the blood rushing and the pump hits on. How would i put this...you just feel when it hits the right spot. That`s what makes it all worthwhile
worship.gif

OK, thanks for the reply, but,

the main question I need to be answered is if you're supposed to feel CONSTANT tension throughout your WHOLE set.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wrestlingmark @ Aug. 19 2005,5:02)]OK, thanks for the reply, but,
the main question I need to be answered is if you're supposed to feel CONSTANT tension throughout your WHOLE set.
yes

Not to be rude, but you're thinking too much about this. If you're placing the muscle under load and lifting that weight through any appreciable range of motion, your muscle will be contracting (well, it would anyway, even if you were to just hold it static) and thus you should feel something. If you don't, you're broken.

Don't worry about things like this. Lift, progress the weight, train often, and take off when you reach your strength limit, come back lighter, ramp up again, all the while eating over maintenance and resting - you will get bigger, and stronger.

i disagree Chthonian, i think that getting your form down properly may be more essential than almost any other aspect of training that you could modify.

keep the tension and load on the targeted muscle at all times throughout the set, never rest on your joints or other muscles.

Back