What Sport do you do?

Rakki

I thought it'd be cool to find out what Sports are popular with HST users :)

Apart from the Obvious (Bodybuilding) alot of athletes from other sports are drawn to weight lifting for both aesthetic and functional reasons

Anyone from Pro athletes to casual weekend warriors just list your sports

I'll start:
Judo & Karate, recently been toying with the Idea of taking up boxing but nothing serious

started HST to move up in weight for Judo (so I can go at it with the Big Boys) but I think Aesthetic reasons have taken over with my HST goals ;)

I played Division III baseball my freshmen year in college. At Rowan University we were ranked as high as #1 in the Country for DIII and we also made it to the third round of World Series. I didnt continue my sophomore year because I dislocated my shoulder twice during the season. I also played basketball and ran cross country in H.S. ( not something im proud of) lol.

Joe G

I practice Wing Chun, a type of Kung Fu. I'm not into the competitions yet, but I plan to do that eventually. I used to run a lot, not long distance though, only sprinting. I'm really fast.

Basketball, billiards, and a lot of different martial arts.

I already know lots of HST dudes practice one or several martial arts, but I'm surprised nobody (as of now) mentioned basketball... I thought everyone was a Michael Jordan fan back then and so played basketball like there was no tomorrow :D

Regards,
-JV

Wing Chun Toten? How is your speed considering all the mass you're gaining with HST?
laugh.gif
I've read up on Wing chun and such. Have you tried looking into Jeet kun do? seems more practical in the real world, but I guess it's hard to find a jeet kun do sparing partner. Just a thought.

pzhang

My speed has remained constant. Perhaps increased slightly actually in some areas. I've gained a lot of strength in my lats from all the chins, which seems to have improved a lot of my strikes.
My footwork and coordination has improved a lot since starting HST. My reflexes have always been very sharp, but they seem to be better lately too. All in all, it seems like HST has only been a benefit. I think as long as I don't go overboard and get as big as Jay Cutler (yeah right) I should be fine.
laugh.gif

I've been considering crossing over into JKD for quite some time, actually. Unfortunately, everyone around here that "teaches" it are pretty much clueless.
I'm a big fan of Bruce Lee, my teacher is as well, having been taught by the son of Bruce Lee's Wing Chun instructor... I'll probably just buy a few of Bruce's books on JKD and see if I can apply the knowledge myself. A lot of the basics of JKD are quite similar to Wing Chun - no surprise considering Bruce's training - so it shouldn't be too difficult to get myself started on it without any official training in it.

They have a class at my school for full contact sparring that doesn't teach one strict type of Kung Fu but actually incorporates techniques from several different martial arts to try to give you more "real world" experience. I'm considering taking up that class. Unfortunately due to my schedule, I'd have to drop Wing Chun in exchange... so it's a bit of a dilemma.

I know what you mean about finding sparring partners. I can spar with people when I'm at class, but outside of class, no one I know wants to spar with me. My wife too Wing Chun with me for a year or so before she quit going, so she knows somewhat what she is doing, but she's scared to spar with me...
However, I've been training my younger brother for some time now, off and on, in the hopes of creating a sparring partner. Heheh. He's getting pretty good too. There are a couple kids at work that want me to teach them too, so who knows. Maybe I'll have a sparring partner soon enough.

Really, I just want someone to Chi Sau with, so I can practice outside of class more.

Ultimate Frisbee
tounge.gif
I play in a summer league right now and my team is headed to the playoffs, so we'll see how that goes. Anything out is just recreational like football, volleyball, or soccer.

By the way, I hate soccer. Who creates a sport where you can't use your hands? :mad:

steak eating and sex on the beach :D

awesome Toten. your instructor must be one crazy guy. Good luck with that. I would go full out MMA(mixed martial arts) and find UFC trainers and whip out the super fly wing chun or JKD and showem a thing or two. haha :D . It'd be cool to have a JKD guy in here.

pzhang

Aikido is definatly my fav. Such a peaceful art.

And again, ultimate is a great sport. And really its a perfect compliment to lifting because its basically like HIIT for an extended period of time. I am just learning how to throw a hammer. Its so fun.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]pizza eating and beer drinking

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]steak eating and sex on the beach

I 2nd both of those.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am just learning how to throw a hammer. Its so fun.

hey precious roy, how's your flick? I just started playing competitively this summer and I am still not comfortable throwing it with a marker on me.

-Colby

Floorball and Soccer....as you go to the gym almost always alone it`s good to get involved in team sports

Purpel belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've not trainned in almost a year but i'm planning to start up again. I've just finished my first cycle of HST and I don't think i'll be able to handle doing both. I'm planning on doing maybe one or two more cycles of HST and then cut back to a twice per week training schedule to accomodate the B.J.J..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ROOKIE @ Aug. 04 2005,4:08)]Purpel belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've not trainned in almost a year but i'm planning to start up again. I've just finished my first cycle of HST and I don't think i'll be able to handle doing both. I'm planning on doing maybe one or two more cycles of HST and then cut back to a twice per week training schedule to accomodate the B.J.J..
BJJ in the house!

that's cool man, I got a couple tapes and have been using them in Judo Newaza. would love to join but no BJJ schools in my country
sad.gif
at least that I know of

BTW Rakki where you from? Just wondering , cause your name in finnish means stray dog. You know, mut full of fleas :D :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tcup @ Aug. 05 2005,1:42)]BTW Rakki where you from? Just wondering , cause your name in finnish means stray dog. You know, mut full of fleas :D :D
LOL
haha

r u serious? that's funny well I guess I could be a stray
tounge.gif

It means "lucky" in Japanese also. that was the inended meaning :confused:

I'm from Trinidad (the most southern Island in the Caribbean)

Bicycling. I'm fortunate to live in a city with *great* trails and bike lanes and so forth. I incorportate HIIT most of the time- other times, I just ride, ride, ride
tounge.gif

i practice kendo, but it's more of an art then a sport. i once read that a reason to practice this art is so that when the nuclear apocalypse comes and everyone else runs out of bullets, I can be the badass wandering the ruins of the planet, conquering all with my sword...

Back