What would YOU estimate my metabolic rate to be?

hardvig

Hi there.

I have tried to calculate how many calories I need to take in each day in order to have a solid nutritional foundation, going into my first cycle this monday, but the results of different calculations out there on the interweb, has yielded results very far from each other, so now I turn to you, fellow HST'ers, to help me calculate my daily calorie needs so that I can make a good plan for my diet before I start working out :)

I am

25 years
Male
191 cm (6ft 3inches)
95 kg (209lb)

I work a desk job, so my workday is mostly sedentary. On workdays I take the bike to and from the train station 3,6 km (2.2 miles total)

As my plan for my first cycle is to reduce my weight from 95 -> 87 (209->192) which should give me a bf% of about 8 while maintaining what LBM I have... I was planing on doing 1 hour of spinning after each of my workouts (3x a week) and 30 mins of incline treadmill on off-days (will probably take 1-2 days a week off from any working out)

I hope that was all the info you needed, if not, don't hesitate to ask :)

Thank you in advance
//hardvig

Determining accurate maintenance calories is impossible to obtain from a generic formula. The only accurate way is to count calories each day and lower or raise until you can go a week or two without losing our gaining weight. Even that is not 100 percent accurate due to water fluctuations but usually closer than generic formulas. It's very similar to finding your 15, 10 and 5 max. You could never never do that by providing height, weight, or similar attribute .

That said, if you use a bell curve most people fall in the 14 to 16 calories per lbs of current body weight depending on activity level and metabolism. Like bodyfat levels which most people grossly underestimate, activity levels are usually overestimated so it is safer to start with a value of 14.

Many people use 8 percent bodyfat as a goal because the tools they use grossly underestimate current level. A true 10 percent bodyfat level is an ambitious goal and one that you can be proud of once achieving.

Determining accurate maintenance calories is impossible to obtain from a generic formula. The only accurate way is to count calories each day and lower or raise until you can go a week or two without losing our gaining weight.

This is IMO the best way. Use the formula to get a ballpark, then adjust for about a fortnight as necessary. Do the maths for that intake, and work off of that for your recorded BW at the time.

Be sure to continually adjust for the weight gained/loss.

Then that's exactly what I'm going to do :)

using a formula to get in the ballpark and go from there :)

Another question :)

The HST-standard program (that I'm going to follow) states that I should work out 3 times a week.

This means that my caloric needs will be higher on training days than on non-training days (duh..!).

Now that there are more non-training days than training days, should I set my caloric needs according to training or non-training days? (or have 2 diet plans?)

No. And actually, to be more precise, your caloric needs would be higher the 24 hours following training compared to the 24 hours prior.

I can understand why that is the case, the body needs more food to recover from a workout than building up to one...

But I really want to keep my diet relatively simple and not have 2-3 meal plans to follow, depending on wheter I am recovering or getting ready for the next workout...

Is that impossible?

Most definitively.

1. Determine your daily caloric intake (surplus or deficit)
2. Eat 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb. Use the higher ranges as calories decrease or if you are extremely lean already
3. Set fat to around 20 to 25 percent
4. The remaining comes from carbs

Probably won't win you a bodybuilding contest but simple and effective if exercise and rest are where they need to be.

Last edited:
I'd actually already prepared a nutritional plan (and started following it - with less than impressive results) when I started this thread, I just wanted to know if I should stick to it or change it in order to reach my goals...

Turns out the problem wasn't the plan, it was me not sticking with it... I've been following it now, very stricktly for about 2 weeks, and have already lost close to 6 pounds..!

I know that I'm losing weight too fast, but I think that is due to 2 things:
1. I'm currently on my SD
2. As I am on my SD, I am not taking in, pre/post workout meals = missing some cals = greater calorific deficit = greater weight loss...

I hope it all stabilizes in the next week when I start my first cycle - I'm SO looking forward to lifting again!!!

You main emphasis should be on burning more calories than what you take. Should must have a nutritional diet along with a regular workout plan. Having a nutritional diet would help you in recovery from your muscle injury and assist you in your workout plan. Taking protein in your diet is very much essential. You should take at least 1 gram of protein per lb. Apart from this amino acids also plays a very important role. You should get all the essential amino acids. Having a balanced diet plan and workout routine is the key here.

You have about 10 minutes to prove you are not a bot. With that link in your sig and your generic sounding posts, you look suspiciously like a bot.

Most definitively.

2. Eat 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb.

Bang on.

If anything you should have 4 meals throughout the day plus 4 shakes. Shooting for around 3400-4000 calories per day if a good goal. With your roughly 300g-350g protein as per your body weight, make sure that you're eating clean carbs and not crap like pizza's and Mcdonalds. Invest in good protein and carb shakes for additional calories. Getting 200g of protein with shakes (4 shakes per day) the other 150-200 is peanuts.

Back