When I get hungry I get tired

Calkid

Okay when I get at least moderately hungry, I become unbelievably tired. All I want to do it take a nap. Eating in such a situation never fails to energize me.

I don't know anybody else who experiences this so drastically. What's going on with me?

i get this at night after my "4th feed" (i sound like a frickin gremlin lol) - i eat 5 meals day
i think it's more to do with my sleep pattern than the diet ...
but u say it happens everytime u get hungry - perhaps you're hypoglycaemic... but then u'd perk up instantly - or maybe not... i dunno enough about this stuff tbh

the same is for me...
I thought that was normal anyway isnt it?
I mean when I get hungry (which mostly happens while dieting I feel really sleepy and also I feel legs and arms 'heavy' so that even walking becomes a pain.
Isn't that normal when being such low on energy while food is lacking?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is this a dieting phenominon or does it happen all the time?

Happens all the time, even now when I'm bulking. It's like clockwork.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but u say it happens everytime u get hungry - perhaps you're hypoglycaemic... but then u'd perk up instantly

Yeah, I do perk up quite immediately. Hmm.

Sounds like hypoglycemia to me. This may be more pronounced with a larger BS surge from more calories. Insulin sensitivity tends to decrease throughout the day as well.

maybe it's a homeostatic thingie - when bulking, perhaps your body is overcompesating a bit by releasing lots of insulin, resulting in lowered blood sugar during certain periods...

I was thinking maybe it's an insulin thing. My personal theory is that I'm incredibly insulin-sensitive. I'm naturally quite lean and don't want to eat that much.

So I figure I have an intense response to insulin, and blood sugar gets cleared quite quickly leaving me (thx Cliner), hypoglycemic.

Julios -- it's not a bulking thing. It happens regardless of caloric intake.

So what do I do then, just make sure to eat often? Is there any specific thing I should be aware of about hypoglycemia?

don't think of hypoglycaemia as a "pathological condition" - it's just a general state of low blood sugar, and some people are more prone to attaining a hypoglycaemic state than others - remember it's a matter of degree.

When I was a kid i became quite hypoglycamic easily - probably because i was so energetic i burned off all my energy.
Typical things about hypoglycaemia - feel tired, mildly depressed, easily irritated, lose focus. You don't necessarily feel hungry, but if you eat, the symptoms disappear quite fast.
This is probably why dinner conversation gets good halfway into the meal.
I can't recommend what you should do to "manage" hypoglycemia though - maybe eat some food items that release sugar slowly - maybe fruits or something?
maybe have half a banana when u're feelin down :)

There should be someone you know who has a blood glucose meter which you can borrow for a week or so. This should clear it up. Also, elimination of stimulants like ephedrine, caffeine etc may help.

A "slow" liver may be responsible for frequent hypoglycaemia during the day. This could be a result of mild hypothyroidism.

A ferritine test could also be helpful.

The best dietary treatment for hypoglycemia is frequent meals that are balanced in protein and carbohydrate. Six "feedings" a day should help (which you probably already do). You might find that your symptoms are more pronounced a few hours after you have a large carb meal -- especially if it is simple sugar.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elle11 @ Aug. 08 2003,3:42)]The best dietary treatment for hypoglycemia is frequent meals that are balanced in protein and carbohydrate. Six "feedings" a day should help (which you probably already do).
This has never been proven. There has been no research that shows frequent feeding better control BS. In fact some research shows just the opposite. Overall there is no conclusion.

My comment was based on some research I was involved with at an Endocrinology research center with Type I diabetics, and individuals with hypoglycemia. The normal controls, diabetics and hypoglycemics alike had a more normalized glycemic response and in turn insulin response to multiple mixed meals in comparison to 3 meals a day. The response was also improved when the meals included balanced protein and carbohydrate as compared to a higher glycemic meal (higher carbs).

IOW, if you have problems with hypoglycemia and you want to regulate your glucose and insulin response, you can effectively do this by eating muliple mixed meals and avoiding high glycemic meals. Six mixed meals a day is a well accepted treatment for hypoglycemia in clinical circles.

Another thing you might want to consider is that if you are on a very low carb diet and working out often your glycogen stores are depleted. The first place your body would get glucose from when it needs it is liver glycogen and if it's not there, you may have symptoms of hypoglycemia which would be perfectly normal in that situation. (Some people might call it bonking.)
crazy.gif
Eating more often just gives your body a more steady stream of glucose either from carbs or taken from protein.

Just my 2 cents! :)

Calkid, do you 'bonk' if you have a high glycemic meal prior to training?
Becuase you may be one of the unlucky few that are sensitive to blood sugar swings.
The only time I get any problems with blood sugar is extremely high (I can tell when my glucose is >12mmol/l) and also when below about 4mmol/l
but if I have carbs duirng the day I dont really get that low, and unless i have a massive carb only load, it doesnt relaly get that high.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elle11 @ Aug. 08 2003,9:42)]IOW, if you have problems with hypoglycemia and you want to regulate your glucose and insulin response, you can effectively do this by eating muliple mixed meals and avoiding high glycemic meals. Six mixed meals a day is a well accepted treatment for hypoglycemia in clinical circles.
So six different BS spikes will elicit better BG control? Any Endocrinologist worth their weight can tell you that this is totally false. They will rarely recommend a diet outside of proper macro ratios. Truth is there is no research that says if one meal or six meals is better. A feeding can leave BG higher for up to six hours.

I agree with Aaron.
Calkid, you may just be sensitive to carb loads. With increased insulin resistance later in the day these effects may be more pronounced.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Any Endocrinologist worth their weight can tell you that this is totally false. They will rarely recommend a diet outside of proper macro ratios.

Who said anything about a diet outside of proper macronutrient ratios? The diet I am speaking of is 50% carb, 20% protein and 30% fat. When you have 3 large feedings as opposed to 6 small ones, the carb load is much bigger and results in a larger insulin spike. The calories are spread out into 6 meals instead of 3. In diabetics, they would have to take a larger lose of insulin following a larger meal. It's just common sense. I've worked with many endocrinologists worth their weight and they would tell you the same.

Calkid, you may be hypoglycemic but it is a normal reaction to having low glycogen stores.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Calkid, you may be hypoglycemic but it is a normal reaction to having low glycogen stores.

so if I have the same problem what should i do while dieting low carb?
It's quite impossible to make up 6 meals from a 1400-1500 kcal daily isnt it?

I'm really having problems with energy levels through the day, I am often slugghish\sleepy feel no strenght in my legs lost interest in activities find difficult training and cardio...all symptoms of low BS levels.

What could I do?I think i wont be able to go on longer in this conditions.

P.S Calkid sorry if I intruded with my problem but it is quite similar to yours (at least symptoms), if this bother you i will open a new thread.

1500 divided into 6 small feedings then would be 250 kcals. You're really looking at 6 snacks at this level.
But 1500 seems awfully low to me for a man -- even for losing fat. How much do you weigh? Are you male or female?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elle11 @ Aug. 10 2003,6:23)]When you have 3 large feedings as opposed to 6 small ones, the carb load is much bigger and results in a larger insulin spike.
Depends entirely on the glucose load of the meal (amongst other things). Getting into the argument of diabetic doesnt work either, because depending on which type they are, they have different problems. IDDIM never match insulin/carbs very well at the best of times, and NIDDIM have insulin resisntance as well as a kuput insulin production.
Insulin resistance perse will cuase hypoglycemia, as BS stays high for a while, so the body reacts by higher and higher insulin until all blood suger is gone, and then some.
Calkid should have next to no insulin resisntance problems, as hes young, lean and exercises regularly.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What could I do?I think i wont be able to go on longer in this conditions.
how r u eating, negative cals, low carb?, phase of hst etc :)

Back