When to eat carbs and protein.

Ruhl

Will eating carbs and protein seperately throughout the day result in lost muscle and fat? Is this good for dieting?

I thought about this question as to get lean, it is recomended to avoid carbs pre and post workout, and eat carbs about 1h after workout, seperate from protein.

Dear Ruhl,

1. Will eating carbs and protein seperately throughout the day result in lost muscle and fat? Is this good for dieting?

Ans: All else being equal, there is no reason why seperating carbs and protein will result in lost muscle and fat unless you were in a hypocaloric situation. This would be pointless if you were not in some kind of calorie deficit. And even if you were in some kind of calorie deficit, there is no reason to seperate protein and carbs?

2. I thought about this question as to get lean, it is recomended to avoid carbs pre and post workout, and eat carbs about 1h after workout, seperate from protein.

Ans: Well, doing so can help fat-loss somewhat but being carb-depleted will hamper anaerobic activity. You could try having protein-only meals pre and post workout then take your carbs an hour after working out, seperate from protein. I think Blade wrote something about this in the FAQ so have a re-read there if you like.
Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Back