Where to buy best tasting least expensive protien?

Techo

Where do you suggest I look for inexpensive protein? It would also be preferable if it was good tasting as well. I'm thinking of buying some 5-10lbs of the stuff. I've heard that online is the best and GNC should be avoided. After realizing I only got about 100g of protein the other day I've realized that something needs to be done about this problem. Maybe I should be tracking this a little more closely? It's probably why I'm not seeing anything in the mirror =)

I like & use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. You can get 10lb for $47 from bulknutrition.com. It's your basic whey, and I can manipulate it as I choose by combining w/ other foods.

I have also used Primer & Driver and GNC. GNC does not agree w/ me (gives me gas), where the others do not. I liked P&D, excellent products, but are more expensive than I prefer. There are a number of good products out there, some spendy, depending on your goals.

You can even get custom blends (micellar, WPC, isolates, etc. etc.) made by proteincustomizer.com. They'll work w/ you personally to come up w/ what you want/need. (I have no financial interest, only speaking from experience).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stevie @ Nov. 26 2003,10:36)]i guess the first question should be where do you live?
I live in the US... I guess I didn't state that because I was under the impression that online buying is much more economical. Maybe it was some googled posts I read a while ago, but it seemed everyone was for online buying and against GNC. Plus there really aren't to many nutrition stores around here that I'm aware of unless you can get good values from places like Wal-Mart and BJs/Sam wholesale...?

I love protein customizers vanilla flavoring, and WPC is cheap. I also like the taste of Complete Whey from Cytosport, I buy through Planet Depot @ $18.99 for 5lbs.

All The Whey has 10lbs of WPC @ $38.99, but it's not quite as sweet as the other two above.

When I actually have money ;) I'll use Optimum Nutritions 100% whey. I think it's one of the best tasting powder(not miracle tasting protein or anything, but realy good) I've ever tasted. I think I got a 5 lb bucket for around 22-23 dollars. It also has a good amount of protein, vitamins, etc, especially for the price.

Probably not what you are looking for, but I have been buying 2.5kg dried skim milk powder in bulk and adding it to my milk liberally. 1/4 cup is 9 grams protein. Very cheap and easy for me since I drink alot of milk anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ryan @ Nov. 26 2003,1:18)]I love protein customizers vanilla flavoring, and WPC is cheap. I also like the taste of Complete Whey from Cytosport, I buy through Planet Depot @ $18.99 for 5lbs.
All The Whey has 10lbs of WPC @ $38.99, but it's not quite as sweet as the other two above.
This is great info. I went to allthewhey.com and they ship to Canada! Shipping is cheap, and the whey works out to like $51.00 for 10lbs. The best deal I've ever gotten around here is 5lbs for $46, and that was a clearance sale.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jellotree @ Nov. 27 2003,1:38)]This is great info. I went to allthewhey.com and they ship to Canada! Shipping is cheap, and the whey works out to like $51.00 for 10lbs. The best deal I've ever gotten around here is 5lbs for $46, and that was a clearance sale.
I learned about brokerage fees when I ordered from proteinfactory.com. The FedEX guy showed up at my door and rold me that I had to give him $32, because when they brought it accross the border, that's what the broker charged them. Although it was still a better deal than anything I could get locally, it was still a pissoff. I hear that if you get your stuff shipped US Postal Service, the fees are less. Oh, and WPC from proteinfactory.com is 4.25/lb

I just got a few pounds of strawberry flavored WPC from protein factory, and its good stuff. I use that, primer and driver. IMO driver tastes just as good as a chocolate milkshake when mixed with milk, and its not that expensive when you buy from netrition.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ectoman @ Nov. 27 2003,1:02)]Probably not what you are looking for, but I have been buying 2.5kg dried skim milk powder in bulk and adding it to my milk liberally. 1/4 cup is 9 grams protein. Very cheap and easy for me since I drink alot of milk anyway.
Thats a great idea... I probably won't totally rely on that, but it sounds like a good protein extra.

By the way, have any of you guys try the flavorless protein? The idea of adding protein to anything is intreresting.

I'm trying flavourless WPC too (tomorrow i'm buying them for the first time, theyr brand is 'Anderson').I will tell u how they are anyway someone told me they taste quite acid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Nov. 30 2003,11:45)]I'm trying flavourless WPC too (tomorrow i'm buying them for the first time, theyr brand is 'Anderson).
Do you buy online or in a shop?
Have you ever tried to buy online from USA (they've got really low prices , not like here
sad.gif
)?
If the answer is yes, have you ever had any problem with the customs?

ghost you are right.
Sadly prices in the USA are near 1/3 than ours and even if I have never bought online I'm definately thinking to try.
The only problem could be taxes and legal stuff as I have no idea or experience about international orders.

As soon as I finish the protein I've now, I will try this site: affordablesupplements.co.uk

Over 1kg they charge ~17€ (max 10kg) for shipping in Itay.

Costco sells 6lbs of Whey Protien for $20. They have two flavors and each serving (has 90 servings) has 22 g of protien. The Chocolate tastes great, just like Designer Whey. Check it out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Costco sells 6lbs of Whey Protien for $20
2.72Kg for 16.6Euro? I hate you ;)
The average price here in Italy it's ~30Euro/Kg (36$/2.205lbs)
sad.gif

At those rates, do Europeans even bother with purchasing protein supplements? And I thought it was expensive here in the US... Seems to me that protein from food would be much cheaper....

My opinion: HST Primer and Driver are probably the best you can get in regards to meeting label claims and for quality ingredients. Cost can be an issue for some, but if you use it only on the days you lift as has been suggested, it can last for a while. I just trust Bryan more than most others.
For inexpensive protein, I have always bought unflavored whey protein concentrate from supplementdirect.com. I bought 11 pounds for $44 and I can flavor it however I want (OJ, Nestle Quick, or no flavor at all). You can even buy up to 33 pounds for ~$80.
I have both Promer and Driver and the cheap WPC that I take on off days.

That flavorless stuff sounds pretty good considering you can mix it with anything... I'll have to think about that one. Has anyone else had experience with flavorless protein?

I took Ryan's advice and ordered 5lbs of strawberry banana Cytosport from site he suggested. That stuff is good!

Back