Whey Protein Isolate

abanger

Which type of whey protein isolate is the "best," & why? Cross-Flow Microfiltration, Cold-Filtration, Microfiltrated, Ultra-Filtration, Hydrolyzed, Ion-Exchange, or some other type?

All are just technical names about whey proteins. Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey is the best one I have tried. It is mostly composed of whey isolates as well as aminogen for better protein synthesis.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(ryder22 @ Mar. 27 2009,5:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">All are just technical names about whey proteins. Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey is the best one I have tried. It is mostly composed of whey isolates as well as aminogen for better protein synthesis.
biggrin.gif
</div>
I'm a huge fan of ON 100% Whey, but note that it is NOT a pure isolate. It has a majority of whey isolate, but there's also the lower-quality whey protein concentrates in it.

Here's a bit of info I scraped together:

- Hydrolyzed Whey is enzymatically partially digested. It splits proteins into smaller chains and amino acids (di and tri peptides). This makes it the most digestible source of whey protein for easy small intestine absorption.

- Cold-Filtration is a process of separating proteins by micro filtering the mass all while using a cold environment. These filters remove the unwanted fat and lactose. Cold Filtration Isolate is just about fat free and lactose/sugar free.

- Microfiltered is the same as above, but not in the cold environment. The production costs are thus cheaper but the product is typically not as pure or delicious.

- Cross flow uses a proprietary membrane technology for a highly pure and undenatured isolate. It removes a lot of flavor and can be used in drinks.

- Ion-Exchange separates the proteins via their electrical charge. Ion-Exchange isolate is virtually fat free and lactose/sugar free too, and should get you over 95% protein left.

- Ultra-Filtration is a combo of cross-flow and cold-filtration

But anyway, the fact is that isolate (no matter which you choose -- some are more expensive than others) is better than concentrate. But at some point if you're paying something $15 per pound, things are a bit out of control and you don't need to do that.

Some products that are pure isolates:
- All the Whey - Whey Protein Isolate
- Species Nutrition - Isolyze
- Ultimate Nutrition - IsoCool
- Nature's Best - IsoPure
- Syntrax - Nectar

But I'm perfectly happy with my 100% Whey Protein from ON. Majority isolate is fine -- but pure whey protein concentrates give me gas that you wouldn't believe.

I have been using NOW whey isolate in the unflavored version, which I've been paying about $70 per 10lbs shipped.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Apr. 02 2009,4:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">it wont make any damn difference</div>
That was my understanding as well, but I'm still curious as to which is better, however insignificantly.

Which type was used in HSN PRIMER/PRIME+?

FYI, Blade uses &quot;micro- and ultrafiltered through a patented low-temp, low-pressure process&quot; in MyoProtein.

I love ON, but will buy whatever's on sale at our BB store, helping them stay in business. Then I take the money I save and spend it on the best vitamin/mineral supps. I think you do more good this way.
Or go get some steak.
smile.gif

Back