Whey Protein/Weight Gainer Supp

Siskin#55

Hey friends, keep in mind I am paraplegic (although It shouldn't have any bearing on what happened below).

SUPP's used: CytoSport CYTOGAINER, Muscle Milk, Multi-Vitamin (Solaray brand)
Serving is 4 scoops for cytogainer. I took 3 scoops in water once daily to help add calories and protein.
Muscle milk is 2 scoops, I only used this as a post w/o protein drink which i added halfway through my first cycle. I also ate very clean foods.

Prior to the CYTOGAINER, my liver enzymes were normal on all my annual exam bloodwork tests. I let my physician know how I was training and the supp's I planned on taking, so we did blood and urine tests to keep an eye on protein and liver enzyme levels.

No excessive protein in my urine.
Liver enzymes were elevated ==> The high end of the range is 65 and my level was 83. We waited 6 weeks for another blood test. It did go down to 76 even though I continued the 3 scoops and I also added muscle milk on w/o days only and kept my food intake the same. My physician asked me to stop taking all whey protein supp's. On 9/8/06 I had my final blood work and my liver enzyme levels are normal now at 60.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Do you think it's the added amino acids?
or the increase in protein? (averaged about 150 - 200 grams per day and i weigh about 145 - 150.)

Is there another whey protein/weight gainer supp you guys recommend thay may not elevate my liver enzymes?

Also, since my liver enzyme levels went down while I was taking the whey protein supp's, do you think they would have eventually gone down to a normal range?

Any opinons or references to websites or studies on this issue is appreciated.

Michael B

mmmm no responses?

UPDATE: I just had a liver ultrasound. Came back Negative.

I'm going to have all the bloodwork tests I can have done since insurance pays @ 100% ....primarily concerned with Hepatitis and raised Iron levels.

Going for a second opinion with me mum's doc who she works for. He had some good questions and concerns on additional bloodwork. He mentioned that striated muscle can increase liver enzymes but iron levels would also be elevated: hence testing for elevated iron levels.

.....saga continues

Michael B.

sorry to revive this thread, but I have an update.

Labwork drawn on 5/30/07 shows NORMAL Liver Enzyme levels (AST @ 23.0 and ALT @ 49).

** i dont know where I got 60 from in my earlier post?

I and my Dr. suspect CytoSport CYTOGAINER was the reason my liver enzymes went up. That supp has man made "Lipids" in it. Lipids can affect the liver enzyme levels. I quit takin all supps as of August 2006. I and my Dr. believe a Whey Protein w/o all the added stuff would be ok.

CytoSport CYTOGAINER is not a good supp, at least for me.

Michael

Back