Wildman's DUP experiment

I have been toying with the idea of DUP for quite a while now and finally got around to making a serious run at it. After much discussion with others who have tried this type of routine with success I have compiled all of my notes concerning the finer points of the routine and produced my own routine.

I will be using a three day per week schedule using full body workouts. You could also set this up with a push pull split and I have done something similar in the past with fair results just not undulated to the same degree as this program. I like the frequency of FBT and typically respond better to than I do on full split routines. Split routines work well for me when I can maintain a high level of intensity but I tend to be ready to lift again within three days and most of my schedules wind up working a muscle only once a week. If I had more time to devote to the sport I could certainly get enough volume in to require a weeks rest but it is just a hobby for me now as opposed to when I was younger so FBT or a push pull split works best for me.

Each day will target a specific skill set and set of muscle fibers. I will use a wide variety of exercises over the three days. The exercises are as specific to that days goals as possible. I will describe each days goals below and give some insight into how I selected the exercises for that particular day.

The first day is the muscle endurance day. The goal is to use a high volume with a large TUT to train the type I muscle fibers more directly and to increase mytochondria density in the muscle cells. To provide the high volume I have decided to use a 15 rep per set, three sets per bodypart scheme. To provide the high TUT I will be using a slow 2-3 second positive with a one second peak contraction followed by 2-3 second negative. I have selected exercises that have a fairly large ROM and are more specific to isolating each target muscle. I really want to focus on developing the endurance of the target muscle so I have tried to avoid compound movements for this day. Progression in weight is a secondary goal for this day. On the third set I will attempt to continue on past the 15 reps if possible. Once I am able to complete two additional reps I will increase the weight the next session. If I fail to make all of the reps on the third set I will use a rest pause to complete the reps and stay with the same weight the next week. I will try and avoid working to failure on this day.

The second day is the speed / power day. The goal is to use a moderate volume with explosive lifts and controlled negatives. I am looking to focus more on the type IIa muscle fibers on this day. To provide the moderate volume I have decided to use a 10 rep per set, three sets per body part scheme. Each rep is performed with an explosive 0-1 second positive and a slow controlled 1-2 second negative. I will be implementing a brief pause at the bottom of each rep to focus on fully stretching the muscle and building the tension to feed the explosive lift on the positive. I have selected both compound and isolation exercises for this day. Virtually any lift can be performed explosively but some isolation lifts are not as suited for explosive lifting. Progression in weight is a primary goal for this day. On the third set I will attempt to continue on past the 10 reps if possible. Once I am able to complete two additional reps I will increase the weight the next session. If I fail to make all of the reps on the third set I will use a rest pause or strip sets to complete the reps and stay with the same weight the next week. I will try and avoid failure on this day but if I reach failure on the strip sets I wont beat myself up too much.

The third day is the strength day. The goal is to use a low volume with a high intensity to stimulate the type IIb muscle fibers. I will attempt to lift explosively on this day but since the weights will be high I will be unable to complete the positive in less than a second. I will use a controlled 1-2 second negative with no pause or peak contraction. I want to keep the big weight in motion and use as much weight as possible. I have selected mostly compound exercises for this day since they allow me to use the most weight possible. Progression in weight is a primary goal for this day. On the third set I will attempt to continue on past the 5 reps if possible. Once I am able to complete two additional reps I will increase the weight the next session. If I fail to make all of the reps on the third set I will use a rest pause, negatives or power partials to complete the reps and stay with the same weight the next week. I am seeking to reach failure on this day. I should not be able to complete even one more rep on the third and final set of each exercise.

Due to the large amount of work I will doing this on a calorie surplus of 500 - 1000 above maintenance levels. Light cardio will be used on two of the off days. I have found my current PRs for each lift using the prescribed lifting style for the specific day. This will be the target weight to reach on the fourth week. I will run the program for eight weeks total and reuse the exact same program for a second cycle with the new PRs attained from week eight as my baseline. This will give me four solid weeks to attack each PR and hopefully be able to set new PRs.

The exercises I selected for each day are below.

Monday:

Decline crossover fly
Lat pull
Leg extension
Cable leg curl
Side shoulder raise
Pec Dec reverse fly
Dumbell kickout
Dumbell curl
Neck raise / Neck curl
Cable Crunch

Wednesday:

Pec Dec fly
D-Handle Lat pull
Dumbell box squat
Goodmorning
Standing row
Incline dumbell shrug
Rope tricep extention
EZ-Bar preacher curl
Reverse EZ-Bar forearm curl
Weighted incline situp

Friday:

Dumbell bench press
T-Bar row
Front squat
Straight Leg Deadlift
Military press
Barbell shrug
French press
Barbell curl
Reverse barbell wrist curl
Weighted crunch

I am spending this week setting my target weights for each of the days. I have already worked out Monday and Wednesday before I decided to start a log. I am trying hard to not be too agressive on the weight this time around. I have just finished up a fairly heavy split cycle and will approach this a bit more gradually. I am concerned that it will be too much volume overall so it is best to use lighter weights and see if I can train myself back up to using some of the heavier weights I am used to. I dont like to sandbag but I want to make a reasonable go at this as a natural trainer. I know my recovery aint what it used to be and isnt as high as some of the augmented trainees I spoke with to build this routine. Some of the examples were split to AM / PM routines.

Monday:

Decline crossover fly
- 45# 3x15 - This was pretty close to what I could do.

Lat pull
- 145# 3x15 - This felt light to me except the forearms became very fatigued with the long rep times.

Leg extension
- 145# 3x15 - I have a bit more in the tank on this one. Felt heavy near the end.

Cable one leg curl
- 25# 3x15 - I like the feel of these. The peak contraction is a nice change of pace.

Side shoulder raise
- 15# 3x15 - I was thinking I could do more but these are normally an explosive movement. This turned out to be a good weight.

Pec Dec reverse fly
- 65# 3x15 - I believe I can do more on this one. It fatigued me but I can do more. I can feel the rhomboids nicely.

Dumbell kickout
- 35# 3x15
- Wow what a pump! This was a good weight to use. The pump nearly stopped the movement by rep 13 or so.

Dumbell curl
- 25# 3x15 - Another good pump. I might be able to do 30s with some more practice. Slow reps are tough.

Neck raise / Neck curl
- 45# 3x15 - Been a while since I did these. Supersetted the two movements. I felt this the next day.

Cable Crunch
- 90# 3x15 - I can do more on these but my partner is quite a bit lighter than I am. It gets hard to pull against a heavier weight and keep form.

Wednesday:

Pec Dec fly
- 110# 3x10 - This I can do more on. Might add another 20# to these as the target weight.

D-Handle Lat pull
- 155# 3x10 - I can pull more with the back but my forearms were fatigued some from this. The explosive movement hits forearms hard as well. I will target 175#.

Dumbell box squat
- 75# dumbells 3x10 - These really winded me. We were low on time on this day and took short rest periods. I will target 85# I think. Nice and low on a milk crate with a deload. Felt good.

Goodmorning
- 135# 3x10 - I actually think I can do more but am timid about these. I will stick with this for now.

Standing row
- 110# 3x10 - Might be able to sneak out more weight on these. Technique was rusty for me and chest too big to clear smoothly. Sticking to this weight for now.

Incline dumbell shrug
- 75# dumbells 3x10 - This was light for me. I shrug some big numbers though because of years of it. My partner had trouble. He will stay here. I will try 90#.

Rope tricep extention
- 80# 3x10 - A great pump in the tris. Got to feeling heavy at the end. Could do more with worse form so I will stay here.

EZ-Bar preacher curl
- 75# 3x10 - Bicep explosions! This was awesome and tough for me. Staying at this weight. Partner wanted to go up a little but he was lifting his butt on the last reps. I told him to wait until he had them all with solid form, no cheating.

Reverse EZ-Bar forearm curl
- 60# 3x10 - A good pump in the brachialis. I think I can go a little more but was on the edge of using leg drive so I will stay here.

Weighted incline situp
- 30# 3x10 - I used to do more weight on these but it has been a while. Easy to explode on so a good choice. I will stay here for now.

Friday:

Dumbell bench press
- 110# 3x5 - This felt heavy for me but I think I can push a bit more.

T-Bar row
- 185# 3x5 - This was too light and we will adjust for a higher weight. Used the double D handle instead of a over-under grip. That was nice.

Front Zercher squat
- 225# 3x5 - Been a long time since I have done these. It felt uncomfortable but I expect to be able to add a bit on these.

Straight Leg Deadlift
- 225# 3x5 - No problem at that weight. My partner was starting to bend his knee so close for him.

Military press
- 185# 3x5 - As usual, a bear for me but my partner captain shoulders had another twenty pounds in him.

Barbell shrug
- 375# 3x5 - Heh, he. My revenge. PArtners deltoids may have more power but I got the traps. Spent years pounding them for PLing. He used 305#. Was killing him to, he he.

French press
- 85# 3x5 - Not an accurate name but a narrow grip EZ-Bar overhead tricep extension is more than I want to type. I wnat more out of these. Could really feel the middle head on this so the promise of a bigger sweep is there.

Barbell curl
- 85# 3x5 - Did these nice and clean with no sway or leg drive. So we can go up a little if we want.

Reverse barbell wrist curl
- 185# 3x5 - Was out of practice on these and did not get a good center grip so came out of balance. I made the reps but didnt feel right. Will get better at it.

Weighted crunch
- 125# 3x5 - Will try and up the weight on these as well. Had no real trouble on this.

After the full week I could feel the summation of the work. I slept very deeply Friday night and arose an hour later on Saturday. I suspected that it would be difficult so I will be utilizing a full spread of supplements with this routine. BCAAs an hour before the workout. A whey shake made with milk and Creatine Monohydrate a half hour after each workout plus another dose of BCAAs. I am shifting back into a six meal per day plan as well. Macros will be 55-60% protein, 35-40% carbohydrates, 10-15% fats. I dont measure out everything as I should but since I have eaten this way for many years, I get in the ballpark. I will be using a 500 calorie surplus above maintenance level instead of my typical 1000 calorie surplus. I can increase the calories if I start to feel fatigued.

I decided to move this log to another site that I frequent. Since this routine isnt HST I do not feel proper logging this here. Bryan and the rest of the guys are so kind as to host this forum for us all. It feels as though I am betraying the commitment thay have made to us. I will post my future HST cycles here and I still am a promoter of HST.

<div>
(Wildman @ Jun. 30 2009,9:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I decided to move this log to another site that I frequent. Since this routine isnt HST I do not feel proper logging this here. Bryan and the rest of the guys are so kind as to host this forum for us all. It feels as though I am betraying the commitment thay have made to us. I will post my future HST cycles here and I still am a promoter of HST.</div>
Hey Wildman, don't worry, most of us writing logs here aren't using HST at the moment or didn't use HST at some time during the logs. I don't believe there is any problem doing so. Every type of training and the conclusions drawn from it are welcome as trying different things is part of the learning process not only individually but for the whole group.

Wildman, like electric said, it's all grist for the mill. I didn't even know what a DUP was until I looked it up! Cheers.  
smile.gif

Posting the methodology, practice and results for any particular program will enable others to see what has and hasn't worked for different individuals. Whilst the efficacy of a program should not be judged solely on the results of one or two trainees, it would still provide useful info that might then be incorporated into other programs etc.

It's always an interesting exercise to try to understand how certain aspects of a routine fit in with what we already know about the science of strength and hypertrophy and to see if the results are predictable.

There is always much to learn.

Don't worry if you don't receive loads of comments either. It doesn't mean no-one is interested. Lots of folks read the posts here without ever commenting. And that's  
cool.gif
too.

Back