XFatMan's Basic Strength Program I

XFatMan

Sunday, March 23, 2008

For the next seven weeks, I’m going to follow the program outlined in the Excel spreadsheet available here. It’s set up in Kilograms and present values are just for demonstration.

Body Stats (using inches / pounds):
Neck 15.2
Biceps 12.8
Forearm 11.0
Chest 40.2
Waist 32.3
Hips 37.4
Thigh 22.2
Calf 15.2
Body Weight 158.7
Body Fat Percentage 16.8%

During my off-week, I was eating 12 – 13 calories per pound of bodyweight, hence the fat and weight gain. From tomorrow on, I’ll go straight down to 10. That should be good for an impressive fat and weight loss for the first week.

Monday, March 24, 2008

70% of projected 5 RM

Bench Press
3 sets / 5 reps / 120 lbs

Squat
3 sets / 5 reps / 114 lbs

Deadlift
1 set / 5 reps / 176 lbs – wow, that was difficult.

<div>
(XFatMan @ Mar. 24 2008,06:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Deadlift
1 set / 5 reps / 176 lbs – wow, that was difficult.</div>
It's supposed to be. That's why we do them...!
smile.gif

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

70% of projected 5 RM

Squat

Overhead Press
3 sets / 5 reps / 78 lbs

Power Clean
3 sets / 5 reps / 66 lbs

Bent-Over Row
2 sets / 5 reps / 78 lbs

As expected, the form on the power clean sucked big time. The bent-over row is a strange exercise. If I do it as described, i.e. pulling the bar against my lower chest, I can use a good weight for the beginning. But if I go for maximum contraction of my back, the weight I used was much too high and the bar will never ever touch my torso. How should I do the exercise?

<div>
(XFatMan @ Mar. 26 2008,10:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As expected, the form on the power clean sucked big time. The bent-over row is a strange exercise. If I do it as described, i.e. pulling the bar against my lower chest, I can use a good weight for the beginning. But if I go for maximum contraction of my back, the weight I used was much too high and the bar will never ever touch my torso. How should I do the exercise?</div>
The power clean is a very tough exercise to learn - don't be too hard on yourself as you orient yourself to the form.

For the bent rows - unfortunately what you're experiencing is a part of developing that exercise, and an overall issue with back strength development. You are severely limited by the strength of your arms when trying to strengthen your back. Bent rows hit some of the weakest parts of your arms. The best thing I can tell you is that you should progress the loads as you are able, provided you can do sets with good reps. In just a couple weeks' time, you'll notice a huge difference. You won't be taxing your back with maximal stimulation, but you will hit it as you develop the strength you need to do the exercise with heavier loads.

I went through something very similar two cycles ago - and honestly, the best thing I can tell you is just to stay the course, and be as patient as you can. The loads will steadily increase - and even if it takes a full 8-week cycle to get there, the point is that you will.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

I usually take one body fat reading per day. If the reading is far off from the expected, I redo it. My reading from Sunday – 16.8% - was obviously wrong, but since it was within the expected range, I didn’t worry about the hefty increase and accepted the first and only reading. The reading from Tuesday – redone three times – was 15.3%, and Wednesday – redone twice – was 15.1%. And today – tah-dah – I’m at 14.9%. Since all three reading were under 15%, I think I have achieved my goal. I actually can’t believe it yet.

My next goal is a bit more difficult. I’ll go down to 10% body fat by September 30, 2008.

Wow, great job destroying that goal. At the rate you are going, you'll hit 10% easily by the end of September. Maybe it sounds difficult but you'd only have to lose about ten pounds of fat and maintain your muscle mass in order to get there. You have, what? 20 weeks or something like that? So only half a pound a week would take you there.
I think you'll get it sooner than expected.

Yeah, what Totz said. With your dedication you'll do it easily in that time frame. Good job!

<div>
(XFatMan @ Mar. 27 2008,06:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And today – tah-dah – I’m at 14.9%. Since all three reading were under 15%, I think I have achieved my goal. I actually can’t believe it yet.

My next goal is a bit more difficult. I’ll go down to 10% body fat by September 30, 2008.</div>
Tah-Dah!!
smile.gif

Big time congratulations! Controlling our own bodies is one of the keys to controlling our lives. What you have done is all the more impressive, since we understand how difficult it is.

I have no doubt you'll be able to complete your next goal of 10% by September 30 as well.

Thanks a lot.

They say it gets really tough once you hit 12%, that’s why I’m a bit careful. The only thing I am really strict about is calories in vs. calories out. I don’t control very much what I eat or drink, but recently I have paid attention to eat as much protein as I can.

Friday, March 28, 2008

That was the same workout as Monday. I felt weaker on the Squat but a little stronger on the Bench Press and Deadlift. A bit weird, isn’t it?

70% of projected 5 RM

Bench Press

Squat

Deadlift
1 set / 5 reps / 176 lbs

Sunday, March 30, 2008

The changes (in inches and pounds) …

Biceps 13.0 (+0.2)
Chest 39.8 (-0.4)
Waist 32.1 (-0.2)
Hips 37.0 (-0.4)
Thigh 22.4 (+0.2)
Calf 15.0 (-0.2)
Body Weight 158.0 (-0.7)
Body Fat Percentage 15.3%

Last Sunday, the body fat reading was wrong, so there’s no direct comparison. Last Thursday, the reading was at its lowest, 14.9%. Today, it’s 15.3%. Detail: I’m eating 10 calories per pound of bodyweight and do eight cardio sessions per week. Something is very wrong here – metabolism slowdown. To fix this, I’ll do only one cardio session per day and slowly up my calorie intake. Next week, I’ll eat about 11 calories per pound of bodyweight.

I don’t think there’s reason for negativity. If my biceps and thighs could grow on 10 calories per pound of bodyweight, imagine what they’ll do with some extra fuel.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Yesterday, I ate a bit more. I slept better, and I felt pretty energetic this morning. Today, I’ll eat 12.5 calories per pound of bodyweight. With the workout in the morning and the cardio session planned for the afternoon, this will create a 500-calorie deficit. This is all I want to shoot for each day of this week – a 500-calorie deficit.

75% of projected 5 RM

Squat

Overhead Press
3 sets / 5 reps / 84 lbs

Power Clean
3 sets / 5 reps / 70 lbs

Bent-Over Row
2 sets / 5 reps / 44 lbs

The form on the Power Clean was slightly less terrible than last Wednesday, especially on the last set. I must look like a clown doing this exercise – except for the red nose. Who cares? Rome wasn’t built in a day, either.

Since the Bent-Over Row was more of an arm exercise last Wednesday, I decided to restart with minimal weight. Form was much better and I could actually feel the back muscles being worked. So perhaps going for maximal contraction is the way to go.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

On Sunday, I ate about 15 calories per pound of bodyweight, and yesterday I ate about 12.5 calories per pound of bodyweight. Body fat is dropping again, so I’m doing something right. Since today is a very lazy day without much exercise except for a 5-round jump rope session in the morning, I’ll eat 10.5 calories per pound of bodyweight. This will give me a 500-calorie deficit. I apparently lost 260 g / 0.6 lb of body fat since Sunday – not bad, really not bad.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

75% of projected 5 RM

Bench Press
5 sets / 5 reps / 124 lbs

Squat

Deadlift
1 set / 5 reps / 184 lbs

The Bench Press and the Deadlift were surprisingly easy. That must be because there are more calories available.

<div>
(XFatMan @ Apr. 02 2008,06:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The Bench Press and the Deadlift were surprisingly easy. That must be because there are more calories available.</div>
Or your getting STRONGER!!
smile.gif
Good work XFM.

I agree with Bax - you're getting stronger, XFM.

One question - how do you get to 124 and 184 pounds? What plates are you lifting with?

Back