ZMA

ceeandeye

Hello everyone:

Could you share your knowledge/experience with the supplement ZMA?  I'm sure that you've seen the ads saying that it increases test levels and that there is a 'study' that proves it.  I look forward to reading your replies.

There is ONE study with the use of his supplement.  He measured Test and IGFI and the likes from memory.  HE compared his supplement to a placebo, which showed it was better than nothing but doesnt show if its better than any other source of zinc/magnesium.
THe study left out a large amount of information, including diet etc
I had a list of things at home that were wrong with it, but its probably long gone now.
But saying that, if you feel like trying zinc/magnesiuom supplemnets, just buy generic ones.  Dont worry about the hype of generic ones being encapsulated with calcium and it stopping absorbtion of the zinc, because that matters little.  Its HIGH calcium (>1000mg) in the presence of high phytate (the normal processing of corn tortillas come to mind) that inhibits zinc absorbtion

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But saying that, if you feel like trying zinc/magnesiuom supplemnets, just buy generic ones. Dont worry about the hype of generic ones being encapsulated with calcium and it stopping absorbtion of the zinc, because that matters little. Its HIGH calcium (&gt;1000mg) in the presence of high phytate (the normal processing of corn tortillas come to mind) that inhibits zinc absorbtion
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I remember reading about Victor Conte's comments on MFW that generic zinc and magnesium dont work or is poorly absorbed. Thats why his company, Balco Labs came up with ZMA, a formula which has the zinc and magnesium chelated with amino acids for way better absorption than generic brands.

Since then, there have been various knockoff brands by other manufacturers and they all have the same combination of Vitamin B6, Zinc monomethioine and Magnesium Aspartate. But heres the twist: Victor Conte says only selected manufacturers such as Twinlab uses QUALITY Zinc monomethioine, with the quality raw material at about $45 per kilo while other knockoff ZMA at $15 per kilo!

In the past, i have always looked for the cheapest ZMA as i assumed it is the same. I didnt bother about the huge gap in prices for certain ZMAs, like Biotest ZMA. But now, after reading Victor Conte's comments, i dont know whether i have been ripped off by buying GNC's ZMA. There are several threads over at MFW about ZMA. Lyle has also participated in it but there seems to be no conclusion.

Any opinions? or better still, evidence? :D

Is GNC's ZMA ok?

Victor is a spammer and scum.
Most of the people who advertise for him are also similar

&quot;All others dont have the magical ingredient, so buy mine!&quot;

zinc amino acid chelate (like zinc histidine) has improved absobability over zinc sulphate ~30-40%.

You can also buy generic zinc chelates if you look for them.
But also hte 30mg per day is a LARGE amount, some people get toxicity symptoms around this level, and its a level usually used to treate true zinc deficiency.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron_F @ July 23 2002,5:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Victor is a spammer and scum.
Most of the people who advertise for him are also similar

&quot;All others dont have the magical ingredient, so buy mine!&quot;

zinc amino acid chelate (like zinc histidine) has improved absobability over zinc sulphate ~30-40%.

You can also buy generic zinc chelates if you look for them.
But also hte 30mg per day is a LARGE amount, some people get toxicity symptoms around this level, and its a level usually used to treate true zinc deficiency.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I am not certain I understood your post's placement per se.

Were you calling me a scum? or saying I was advertising for him?

No, it was victor and his posse that are scum.
Victor doesnt write all his advertising copy, but all the people who write it up seem to follow a similar style.

I gotta stop writing stuff when I am tired, people seem to take it all outta context.
sleeping.gif

Nope - I was just trying to see exactly what it was you were getting at. Personally, I use a ZMA supplement (but will not &quot;advertise&quot; for the particular company I choose) and like it. To each their own I suppose.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron_F @ July 24 2002,9:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, it was victor and his posse that are scum.
Victor doesnt write all his advertising copy, but all the people who write it up seem to follow a similar style.

I gotta stop writing stuff when I am tired, people seem to take it all outta context.
sleeping.gif
Maybe it's not people that take it out of context, maybe it's the way you phrase things that leaves them litle choice.  
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (restless @ July 26 2002,5:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe it's not people that take it out of context, maybe it's the way you phrase things that leaves them litle choice.  
sad.gif
maybe after reading my post he saw himself as an advertiser?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron_F @ July 27 2002,3:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (restless @ July 26 2002,5:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe it's not people that take it out of context, maybe it's the way you phrase things that leaves them litle choice.  
sad.gif
maybe after reading my post he saw himself as an advertiser?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
LOL, not quite what i was thinking.

I hate to bring up old topics. But there hasnt been a conclusion for ZMA.

My bottle of GNC's ZMA is almost done. Should i go out and get another bottle?

Though the cost is low, i wouldnt want to waste money too.

Whats everyone's opinions on ZMA? Is all ZMA equal?

With backup by science would be nice.

Many of our customers use ZMA and the feedback has been quite good. It's not a &quot;get big quick&quot; supplement but most users say they sleep better on it and recover faster. Not exactly a scientific answer but at least the majority like it.

I've been reading about zinc in general and I'm told that it competes with copper and people who supplement zinc usually are somewhat copper deficient... I was told to take 1mg of copper for every 10mg of zinc and to take them separately... however depending on when you take either of these, the food you take them with, and the form (zinc gluconate, acetate, etc..) will affect the absortion and utilization... so its sort of hard to figure out what specifically and when and with what to take ....

Right now I use a daily multivitamin which has the RDA 15mg of zinc in it and 2mg of copper... I then take 25mg of zinc before bed.. suggestions/comments?

If you need better quality sleep then I would recommend using ZMA. If you're trying to get big from it then save your money.

Back