Alpha-lipoic acid

anoopbal

Has anyone tried this supplement.It is claimed to increase insulin sensitivity besides serving asa powerful antioxidant.A few studies have shown increased glucose uptake in diabeteic patients after ALA administration.

:) Anoop

I don't think it can significantly affect insulin sensitivity or creatine uptake in weight training people, although for diabetics it may be useful. As an antioxidant it probably is valuable if taken for an extended amount of time, like most other antioxidants.

i think its good for health if i'm going to go out partying, but for body composition i can't argue for it. anecdotally, many people have had good results with it, so i guess its possible we don't know the full story yet.

Anti Oxidant - yes, however a rather expensive one

Other htan that, it works wonderful to increase glucose uptake in diabetic rats. Humans are a different story

there is another factor, where is the glucose going. Most diabetic drugs that increase glucose uptake are nondescriminant with the glucose disposal, as it doesnt matter if its forced into muscle or fat, as long as glucose is lowered.

ALA mimics insulin and insulin is the only way for glucose to enter muscle cells. The problem is that ALA is synthetic and developed by supplement companies to rip people off because it does not work as well in the body as r-ALA which is produced by your body naturally. r-ALA has helped my results in an obvious way especially when taking r-ALA with creatine after your workout. r-ALA increases the amount of creatine your cells can uptake increasing cell volume and recovery.

Back