Vitamins, Supplements, and their Ratings

shouit

Okay, here is the deal. For the last 6-7 years, I have taken GNC Mega-Man Vitamins. A friend was the manager and told me that these were the best. I didn't know any better, and took them. Recently, I have moved and have gotten away from the GNC spell. I am trying to be better about where I buy my supps for cost and quality. A friend of mine, where I live told me that Sam's Club Multi Vitamins are very good. And so, I checked them out. For the price, they rock. (GNC @ $40 and Sam's @ $8) But how good are they? I read the label, but my old friend at GNC told me that a lot of vitamins don't get absorbed by the body and that is the problem with cheaper vitamins. Is this true?

Also, what should someone who is interested in losing weight take for supps. I used to take everything under the sun, but now I am trying to be conservative...

NOW
------
Sam's Multi-vitamin (Double dose approx = to MegaMan)
Sam's Flaxseed Oil(2000 mg)
Gluc/Cond(approx 2000 mg combo)

Should I take Creatine again?
Also have this supp a friend of mine told me to try out, Zantrex-3 by www.ZollerLaboratories.com, should I go on that?

Used to take Xenadrine, but that stuff messes with my head anymore.

Any advice? Thanks.

It's true your body needs to absorb vitamins and doesn't always do so with 100% efficiency. So a vitamin with 100% of what you need isn't necessarily providing that for your body if it isn't all absorbed. As I understand it taking a mega dose such as you find in GNC vitamins helps but isn't the total answer, your body has other requirements in order to metabolize certain vitamins, like vitamin E which is fat soluable, so simply pouring them in by the ton just doesn't do it for those. It's a step in the right direction though. If you can find a way to get the same dosage at a cheaper price, go for it.

Although they didn't list their source, I saw on another board that the Mega-man vitamins weren't all that great, but that the Mega-man Gold were rated very good.

I use GNC for vitamins myself, so this is something I'm trying to track down. Anyone found any vitamin comparisions?

www.drumlib.com has comparisons of various supplements with prices too. This could prove to be useful.

As for the vitamin-mineral supplementation, usually not everything needs to be supplemented. Folic acid and a B-complex vitamin might be necessary depending on how processed and refined one's diet is. Also, if one's diet is low in fat, the fat-solubles might be lacking and again, this could mean supplementation.

I'd go as far as to say that if one's diet comprised of largely, fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and meat (beef in particular), liver, eggs and dairy stuff, it's pretty much complete. Supplementation of vitaimins/minerals would then be a question of witch-hunting really, to see if any one nutrient could be lacking. Usually, it boils down to taking EFAs.

For me, it's about a brown-rice risotto with beef and nuts (this savoury rice combo just makes you come back for more...) or wholemeal pasta/bread with meat and salad etc. I whip up protein shakes in milk, and tend to have fresh vegetables and fruit on the sides. If I don't eat a micronutrient today, I know that I'd get it tomorrow since I do employ a varied menu. Furthermore, it takes more than several days for pathology to arise from micronutrient deficiencies, and this being the case, I wouldn't go paranoid about consuming the RDI every day.

To reply shouit in specific:

1. Also, what should someone who is interested in losing weight take for supps. I used to take everything under the sun, but now I am trying to be conservative...

>>>> EFAs are good medicine. Fish Oils, 6gm/day.

NOW
------
Sam's Multi-vitamin (Double dose approx = to MegaMan)
Sam's Flaxseed Oil(2000 mg)
Gluc/Cond(approx 2000 mg combo)

>>>> The glucosamine and condroitin are for joint pain?

Should I take Creatine again?

>>>> Yes, do please take creatine if possible. This has so much positive effects on lean mass and overall health that there is no reason not to take them unless one had kidney/liver problems that made creatine therapy contraindicative.

Also have this supp a friend of mine told me to try out, Zantrex-3 by www.ZollerLaboratories.com, should I go on that?

>>>> The ingredients are not listed... although they make some pretty wild claims. Zantrex-3 sounds too good to be true. Besides, nothing has been proven to beat the good old EC... and if I were you, anything that boasts to be ephedrine-free yet is hundreds and thousands of percent more effective at burning fat than ephedrine is a scam. The way they cite their proof is totally disgusting anyhow. Can't they even give me the author names? I'd avoid this nonsense product if I were you :)

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

ps The nerves and jitter of EC will wear off after about 4 weeks. This can be further avoided if you started with small doses and worked your way to the full dose. The supplement FAQ has information on taking EC, so this might be of interest to you :)

Thanks for the info.

As for ECA stacks, the problem isnt when I am on it, granted, I do get a bit more anxious (and my wife says, obnoxious). But, the real problem is when I come off of it. I get a sever headache for two days, even if I come off slowly, taking half doses for a while. Basically it is difficult for me to function during those two days.

I am taking Flax to 6 grams. I am taking Gluc/Cond for my knee. Going on creatine when I go on my cycle, just finshed testing max's start it a week from Monday. Thanks again.

animal stak from universal is a well bought one I guess...but its kind of expenssive with 15 $ a month...

but well...universal in generell has got some really interesting products...and the quality is probably good since theyre in business for a long time...

Back