DB's instead of BBell Bench

Nightfly

Hello,
Wondering if using db;s in the bench (incline, or for that matter flat) is ok to use instead of the barbell. I may not have aspotter at all times and wonder if I am missing anything. I belive I may not get as strong but then again will get a bigger ROM, more balance, and possibly a better looking chest rather than shoulders.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nightfly @ June 28 2005,9:43)]Hello,
Wondering if using db;s in the bench (incline, or for that matter flat) is ok to use instead of the barbell.  I may not have  aspotter at all times and wonder if I am missing anything.  I belive I may not get as strong but then again will get a bigger ROM, more balance, and possibly a better looking chest rather than shoulders.
Using dumbbells is fine and will give you fuller ROM and require more use of those stabilizers, which will decrease the load you can handle, but still effective none-the-less. Now, if you are like me and have a huge ego, then stick to barbells so you can lift more weight.
laugh.gif

Personally I prefer the motion for dumbbell presses - not only is there a greater ROM but it feels more natural too. I like the extra stretch that they give you too...plus I don't train with a partner so I don't have to recruit a spotter.

Having said that I tend to alternate them with the bench press for the same reason that Biz uses Bench :-D

Both are second to dips in my book though...

Cheers

Rob

I've always used dumbbells for chest but have had trouble incrementing the weight steadily upward, as is required with HST. I was also having to zig-zag more than seemed productive, so for my next cycle I'm going to be benching exclusively with a barbell. (And dipping, of course.)

I used to be a proponent of going for as full a stretch as possible on dumbbell benches, but not anymore. Now I just think it's a good way to hurt your shoulders. Body mechanics allowing, you should be able to get good results even if you keep your upper arms about parallel with the floor at the bottom of the movement.

I use strictly DB's for my inclne bench as the incline barbell press bothers my shoulders a lot. I used to do flat bench as well before all these HST guru's got me thinking otherwise. Now I alternate inclines with dips and then flies to finish as a good stretch.

I use power hooks so that I can load up a lot of weight on the DB's because I don't have a spotter and they work great.

Mike

Back