Resistance Training & Pulse Rate

OneMoreRep

One thing that has always concerned me is my pulse rate.

i think it's like 60-72 about avg... i am curious as to why this is so... I mean i workout ALOT more then the avg. person i'd figure my heart rate would be lower the sedentary individuals but this is not so...

I know some people with heart rates with like 50-60 and they do NOTHING...

Genetics asside is there a physiological explanation for this??

Does building muscle force the heart to work harder?? Thus elevating the heart rate?

Does more muscle increase pulse rate?

Thanks !

That's not a bad heartrate. Mine is around 50-55 typically. I know several people who's heartrates are over 90.

yes but still mine's 72 typically...... i'd think after years of training my heart rate would be better then a couch potato.....

Mine is a solid 69!
tounge.gif
happy.gif
laugh.gif

I think a lot of it depends on your elevation (I wanted to look this up the other day.) I am pretty sure runners in high elevations and especially mountain climbers have pulses as low as the 30's.

Anyways, you don't want your pulse to be too low.. I heard somewhere that 0 isn't too healthy.
crazy.gif

-Colby

70bpm is an excellent pulse rate. Is that what it is 1st thing in the morning? If you want to lower it, do tons of long distance running. When I was really into running, my pulse was like 45 bpm's, and that was in the middle of the day! Now it's in the 60-70 during the day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyways, you don't want your pulse to be too low.. I heard somewhere that 0 isn't too healthy.

laugh.gif
Colby, you crack me up!
laugh.gif

Anyhoo... back to OneMoreRep...

Standard heart rate for males is 70bpm. Of course it can vary a lot (and does), but having 72 is quite normal. I don't think it is resistance training that actually lowers that. At the moment, I'm under the impression that it is lots of regular cardio exercise that actually lowers the resting heart rate of athletes. So like chiefhog said, running would cure your woes, but there really is nothing to cure. Your heart seems perfectly healthy.
thumbs-up.gif

Regards,
-JV

Weightlifting illicits less of an aerobic response. Therefore, one won't gain the aerobic adaptations such as a low pulse and respiratory rate. This comes, in part, from left ventricular hypertrophy. Simply put, the heart becomes more efficient at delivering oxygen to the body.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Aug. 10 2005,5:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyways, you don't want your pulse to be too low.. I heard somewhere that 0 isn't too healthy.
laugh.gif
Colby, you crack me up!  
laugh.gif

Anyhoo... back to OneMoreRep...
Standard heart rate for males is 70bpm. Of course it can vary a lot (and does), but having 72 is quite normal. I don't think it is resistance training that actually lowers that. At the moment, I'm under the impression that it is lots of regular cardio exercise that actually lowers the resting heart rate of athletes. So like chiefhog said, running would cure your woes, but there really is nothing to cure. Your heart seems perfectly healthy.  
thumbs-up.gif

Regards,
-JV
oh yes i know that cardio WILL lower the heart rate that's a given.

But i am curious as to whether or not resistance training has an affect on heart rate at all, negative or positive.

Back