HST with limited weights/equipment?

rcswp

Hi all,

I've just finished the 5s of my first HST cycle with the last microcycle to go. My results have been very encouraging so I'm really looking forward to my 2nd cycle.

The problem I'm going to have is that I'm already maxing out the limited weights in my small office gym (DBs up to a max of 66lb each, incline bench, flat bench, NO barbells or plates, 220lb chest press machine, 200lb pulldown machine, 200lbs Leg Extension machine, 200lbs Leg Curl machine).

For various reasons, I'm going to have to stick to this gym, so my key question is - how do I progress on HST with limited weights? Can I/Should I:

a) reorder the exercise sequence to do the smaller bodyparts first so they don't assist as much with the compounds for the larger parts (e.g. triceps/delts before chest?)
or
b) pre-exhaust with isolation exercises before the compounds
(but can isolations be used for 5s, 2s, negs?)
or
c) do everything in one session, which should tire me enough to keep the weights good for another cycle, at least?
(I've did am/pm workouts for the 15s and 5, 1xdaily for the 10s)

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions,

I worked out at home with a set of powerblocks to 65 lbs each, and a bench with flat/incline.

I did a whole first cycle easy enough, but I found a 24Hr fitness close and cheap. I'm moved on.

You can always do one arm at a time, with the machine. If you're strong enough for dips and pullups. You can always add weight to those by using a belt around your waist and tie on a dumbell, letting the weight hang between your legs.

You can really enhance pushups by putting your feet on a bench and push up from a decline.

So...what I'm saying: You've got to out think the situation and you'll find workarounds.

If you're working out steady, you'll gain even if you're not doing everything according " to the book".
thumbs-up.gif

Fatigue is not the goal for HST remember. I think that using unilateral reps is prob. going to work best for you, but for some exercises that prob. isn't feasible. Make the best use of isolations and stay in the 5s and negs range?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you're working out steady, you'll gain even if you're not doing everything according " to the book".
If you are talking about growing without using progression, I'll say "only to a point" then growth with stagnate.

Overall Ed asked me this in an IM and since I haven't run in to this issue I couldn't give him any reasonable advice. So

BUMP for more input. Let's help ED out.

Hang free weights off of the pins on the machines to gain extra weight - or secure them in some fashion. But if you do do that, make sure the central shaft isnt grinding (wont happen for light free-weights).

Some ideas:

- Convince the one responsible for the gym to buy heavier dumbells/extra weights for the machines
- Try a 20-15-10 scheme instead of 15-10-5
- Add some fly exercises

Rommeke_

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - much appreciated.  :)
Jester,
My worry about staying longer in the 5s and negs is that it's that much harder on my 40-yr old joints, unfortunately.  I did 3 workouts of 5s and 1 of 2s/negs before stopping last Wed for my SD and that was enough to start my joints complaining.  Prior to HST, the rep range that worked best for my was 8-10, so I really liked the different rep ranges of each microcycle.
When you say "make the best use of isolations", that brings me to my other question - how effective are isolations exercises in HST, particularly in the 5s/2s/Negs cycles?
Or should I use them in the 15s and 10s and drop them in favour of compounds in the 5s/2s/negs?
Rommeke,
I know constant load progression is one of the HST keys, and while it's logical that 20-15-10-5 should work, there must be a reason why the standard/popular progression is 15-10-5-2.
I always thought it was related to existing beliefs that these 3 rep ranges were generally the best for endurance/size/strength respectively?
Then again, I've read of people using other progression patterns so I'm likely to have to just try 20-15-10-5 to stay within the limits of my equpment and see what happens.
BTW, re flyes, I did them in the cycle I just completed and used 66lb DBs during the 5s (actually I was able to do 8s with 66lbs but that's the heaviest pair the gym has...)
I guess the other thing I could do is perform fewer exercises in one session to tire myself out so that I need to use lighter weights for the sets, rather than spread more exercises over 2 workouts a day which gave me more energy to max out the gym's equipment, which is what I did for my first cycle.
Any more suggestions are really welcome...I start my 2nd cycle on April 4th....
:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rcswp @ Mar. 29 2005,1:41)]I know constant load progression is one of the HST keys, and while it's logical that 20-15-10-5 should work, there must be a reason why the standard/popular progression is 15-10-5-2.
I always thought it was related to existing beliefs that these 3 rep ranges were generally the best for endurance/size/strength respectively?
Then again, I've read of people using other progression patterns so I'm likely to have to just try 20-15-10-5 to stay within the limits of my equpment and see what happens.
From Bryan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is nothing magical about using 15s, 10s, and 5s. Some people have used 15,12,10,8, and 5s, changing reps each week.

HST is laid out in 2 week blocks of 6 workouts (=increments) because this is what it generally takes you to go from one RM to another (e.g. from 15RM to 10RM, or from 10RM to 5RM).

Thanks, Dan - now makes more sense than when I read it the first time (which I guess happens pretty often here!).

This is how I've set up my new cycle. It's 3x weekly with AM/PM workouts (PM is either midday or evening as the gym is in my office building). I'm doing it circuit-style as I'm got a limited amount of time to train.
(I've upped the reps for legs due to the limited weights available).

This is what I did today:
AM CHEST/BACK/ARMS
Wide Grip Pulldowns 2x15 @ 160
Decline Machine Chest Press 2x15 @ 160
DB Heavy BentOver Raises 2x15 @ 44
DB Flat Flyes 2x15 @ 44
DB Wide/Mid/Narrow Curl 2x15 @ 33
DB Floor Triceps Extensions 2x15 @ 33
Left One Arm Rows 2x15 @ 44
Right Chest DB Floor Flyes 2x15 @ 16.5

MON Midday
Leg Extensions (Unilateral) 2x20 @ 40
DB SLDL 2x15 @ 33
DB Walking Lunges 2x15 @ 38.5
Leg Curls (Unilateral) 2x20 @ 40
DB Shouder Press 2x15 @ 38.5
DB Neutral-Grip Upright Rows 2x15 @ 38.5
Left Arm Curl & Press 2x15 @ 27.5

Abs are done during warmups, and I reckon my calves are pretty OK (just over 16") and don't need specific work right now.

What do you guys think of it? I've wondered if this is too many exercises but I felt pretty good after the workouts i.e. worked out but still refreshed (if you know what I mean), so I hope to stick to this and simply reduce the volume by cutting back on the isolation exercises if this positive feeling stops....

Thanks, guys
worship.gif

Back