Alternative to Negatives

spearman

Hey guys,

Just looking for some ideas. I train alone and cant do negatives, so i have been continuing with the 5's, but i wonder if i would be better doing some 1 or 2 rep maxes instead? What do you think?

Thanks

S

You can perform negatives with some exercises even if you train alone. For example, chins or dips, helping the concentric portion with your feet. With other exercises you can lift the weight using both arms (or legs) and then lower it with one.

If the above is not an option, you could go on with your 3RM. If you want to, cluster your sets to reach a predetermined number of total reps.

Whatever you decide, throw in some metabolic work too (if you aren't doing this already).

Best of luck,
Dimitris

Agreed. If you can't do negatives, then keep upping the weights somehow. Whether it be cluster reps, push press instead of strict military press, or other options, just increase.

I just finished my first cycle and had the same concerns about neg's as I train alone. I did leg press, 1 leg at a time, and weighted dips and pullups, using my legs to get to the top of the lift.

I've never been as sore from a workout as I was from my first all negative workout. I would prefer to continue using the negatives, even if I'm limited to the above exercizes after the experience I had with them.

Agreed. The heaviest weights seem give me the most stimulus by a long shot. I find the heaviest weights + metabolic work + high calorie diet = big gains. At 5xweek frequency and eating like a pig i started gaining well from the 5rm onward.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ Jan. 10 2006,9:59)]You can perform negatives with some exercises even if you train alone. For example, chins or dips, helping the concentric portion with your feet. With other exercises you can lift the weight using both arms (or legs) and then lower it with one.
If the above is not an option, you could go on with your 3RM. If you want to, cluster your sets to reach a predetermined number of total reps.
Whatever you decide, throw in some metabolic work too (if you aren't doing this already).
Best of luck,
Dimitris
could you further define "metabolic work"??

I am guessing I am doing it... just may use a different description :)

The purpose of metabolic work sets is to create an environment like that seen in occlusion studies. In other words, you are trying to activate the erk1/2 pathway (after activating the p38 pathway with your heavy sets). This is typically achieved by perfoming a high-rep set (15-20 reps), by using pulses, the rest-pause technique etc. Ultimately you are aiming for an intense feeling of burn in the target area (the result of lack of oxygen in the muscle, occlusion).

If you are not so sure about the meaning of pulses and similar techniques, just pick a weight near your 15 rep max and rep out (as many reps as you can get).

Hope this helps,
Dimitris

is metabolic work supposed to be done throughout the 5-rep workouts?

I had planned on doing 2 weeks of 15s, 2 weeks of 10s, 2 weeks of 5s, then a week of 5s + drop sets , followed by my week of SD.

Should I try to hit drop sets during the entire time I am doing 5s?

There isn't a definitive guideline about metabolic work. Most people start incorporating it in their programs when the number of reps per set gets pretty low (somewhere in the vicinity of the 5's, depending on their actual rep scheme). You may even opt not to do it every workout, but maybe every other workout, depending on your program and available time.

So, it's up to you, really. You could start your 5's + drop sets every other workout during the first week to see how you are handling it, and then decide for yourself when and how often you should be doing them. Do not go overboard, though, you do not want to compromise your ability to lift heavy later in the cycle.

Cheers,
Dimitris

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ Jan. 13 2006,2:50)]Do not go overboard, though, you do not want to compromise your ability to lift heavy later in the cycle.
Cheers,
Dimitris
yeah, that's what I figure too. DOMS really can set in with the drop sets....we shall see.

Back