Adjustment in peaking days

JimStorm

Hi all,
I've studied the HST protocol and I made some changes when it comes to peaking days (i.e. when you perform a set to failure for aprox. 5,10 or 15 reps). I think it's to heavy when you want to perform all failure exercises on the same day.
Thats why I made the following schedule:
HST.jpg

The red values are max weights (in KG). The preceding 5 days are resp. 50/60/70/80 & 90% of that weight.
Comments or questions are welcome!
- Jim Storm, certified Fitness Trainer

If I read your spreadsheet right, you will have about 3 workouts per rep cycle that use the same weights from a previous rep cycle. This is okay once in a while if it can't be helped, but on a regular basis and for several workouts in succession, it may be an issue worth addressing. When you do your max weight at each rep range, then drop the weight back down for a few subsequent workouts in the next rep range, you lose the principle of progressive loading.

The approach used by most here is to find your maxes, which you have, and just work backwards from there subtracting 5-10 lbs (2-4kg in your case) per workout. You can do it by percentages as well, subtracting 5% per workout. I.e. if your max is 60kg for 15 reps, then going backwards for the workouts leading up to your max day by 2kg, your workout would go more like: 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60kg. The for 10 reps, your max is 68kg, then the 10 rep block would look like:58, 60, 62, 64, 66, 68kg. So, a few overlapping weights, but only two and then you are back to progressive loading, and that was assuming your 10 rep max would cause an overlap in weights, which it may not.

Wow, if all that isn't confusing, then I applaude you. Let me know if any of that makes little to no sense.

Thanks for your substantive reaction BIZ! No, it's my goal to increase my rep max weight(RMW) every following rep cycle (if possible of course). That's why I made it in Excel. All weights are calculations, based on that RMW.
Of course my choice to train within a 50-100% range, based on the RMW for 'n' reps is very subjective. Your suggested range lies somewhere between 80-100% when I'm correct. I think it's just a matter of experimenting. By the way, I think working with %-values in stead of LBS or KG is more exactly when it comes to stipulating your intensity.

Note: I included a comment within my spreadsheet about that weight adjustment.

Back