Super Squats

Yeah, it's... questionable. Drink a gallon of milk and then do 20 reps of squats using your 5 RM or something like that, using a rest-pause sort of thing to get through the set. Whatever.

One thing that is emphasized in the book, is the importance of breathing during the squats. Taking deep breaths at the top of the move and only exhaling on the way up. There's a recommendation to even suck an extra gulp down, to the point where your lungs hurt, before you plunge. Exchale on the way up.

When I do high rep squats, I get an extreme pump, which I attribute to my body having to force blood where it is seldom needed. I'm wondering if there's merit to oxygen enriching your blood during a set of super squats with deep breathing, and getting that oxygen deep into muscle tissue. I can imaginee the muscle getting very efficient at getting blood where it needs to be.

I typically eat around 350grams of proteins a day across meals and shakes so I'm going to disregard the milk for now.

Although I do not have the book, I gained a lot of strength and good size gains from doing 20 rep squats. I think it has more to do with the pauses between reps, not the actual breathing technique. From what I remember, Randall advises taking your 10RM max and doing 20 reps, the rest pauses helps accomplish that. If you try it, you will be breathing as if you were doing all out sprints. They're brutal and do not have to be taken to failure. Eat right and you should be able to put 5 pounds on the bar a workout for a couple of months.

Doing 'what you can do for 10 reps' for 20 is what is recommended. I'm gonna squat till blood comes out my eyes and I foam at the mouth.

Back