Am I Doing This Right!!??

gypsylifter

Hey all,

Need your opinion here!

I am in my first week of HST and i am just trying to work out my max RPMs for my 15’s 10’s and 5’s

So last night I hit the gym and did 1 set of each of my exercises for 15 reps

As follows (in pounds)

Squats (x1)
Chest Press (x1)
Bar curls (x1)
Shoulder press (x1)
Tri Downs (x1)
Row (x1)

So the above weight where my absolute MAX 15 reps for 1 set each.

Next Steps:

To work out what I now need to do for the next 2 weeks I need to essentially workout the 95% 90% 85% 80% 75% of what my max 15 RM weights are?
For example, I will start this on Monday and my first 15 rep 2 set sessions will look as follows
(All of the below are at 75% of my max RMs above)

Squats (x2)
Chest Press (x2)
Bar curls (x2)
Shoulder press (x2)
Tri Downs (x2)
Row (x2)

Does this look right to you?

I’m just so wigged out by HST as I have always done my absolute max and then two days later upped that by a bit and so on. its seems weird to me that I am working out my max and then doing such LIGHT weights for 2 weeks only to end up right back at my max on the 6th session? I just don't see how this is putting enough stress on the muscles to grow??

You clarity and confirmation on all of this is much appreciated

Matt

...I have always done my absolute max and then two days later upped that by a bit and so on.

Yes your understanding of HST is correct and yes your 15s will be easy especially the first week. Expect to pick up a lot of your fatigue during the 2nd week of 10s, both weeks of the 5s and any further you decide to push it. Then your week of SD and first portion of the 15s in your next cycle will allow you to continue your recovery. 2nd week of 15s and first week of tens will be recovery neutral and then you will start to accumulate fatigue again.

That being said maybe you shouldn't do HST. Regularly working in your max range is fine if you are continuing to grow. In fact, if you're making good gains there is really no need to switch programs.

However, I am going to assume that you decided to do HST because you've hit a slump in your previous program. This is likely because your recovery isn't in order since you are maxing out all the time. So you have two options, go easier and periodize (HST) or keep daily maxing and recover better. If you want to increase your recovery the two easiest ways are eating and sleeping more. If you're already gaining 0.5lbs a week in bodyweight (or more) a further calorie surplus will have diminishing returns. If you're already getting 8-9 hours of sleep again there isn't too much to do there. After this there are a lot of other recovery options such as massage and mobility work but food and sleep are your easiest gains to get in order.

@gypsylifter,

If you tested your 15 rep max last night (Tuesday or Wednesday?) then you should be starting a 9 day SD today so not lifting again until the 10th day, do you know your 5 and 10 rep maxes if not you need to test them before you start SD.

If you are concerned by the lighter loads in the first week of each mesocycle you could always

1 - Slow the tempo of the eccentric part of each lift and therefore putting the muscle under a bit more stress, however once you have taken 9 days off the load may feel heavier than you expect.

2 - keep the rest period between the two sets to a minimum and therefore making the 2nd set more difficult

On another note some people may add say 2.5% to their current rep maxes and work out the 75% etc from that figure this will mean at the end of the 2 weeks you will be attempting a new 15 rep max or I used to start at 80% working through to 100% on 5th day and then attempting a new rep max on the 6th day of each mesocycle

Last edited:
However, I am going to assume that you decided to do HST because you've hit a slump in your previous program. This is likely because your recovery isn't in order since you are maxing out all the time.

Yes exactly, my issue was that I would max out on all exercises. My strength would stop and my gains would stop too.

Another issues is I play Rugby Union as well. So I HST Monday Wednesday and Friday but am also playing rugby Tuesday Thursday and Saturday... its a lot on the body...

I think HST will benefit me here because it has periods where weeks are quite low impact on the body and I think I will be able to do rugby and the workouts at the same time without being too fatigued? provided I eat and sleep as much as possible

Thoughts?

I think HST will benefit me here because it has periods where weeks are quite low impact on the body and I think I will be able to do rugby and the workouts at the same time without being too fatigued? provided I eat and sleep as much as possible

I feel you can look at recovery versus muscle stimulus fairly simply, you likely fall into one of four categories:
  • Balanced: You are working hard, you're tired but not overly and you are seeing progress. Just keep going.
  • Over worked: You feel rundown all the time, you are getting sick more often. Recover more or work less.
  • Over recovered: You feel great but you aren't making much progress. Work more or recover less (eat or sleep less, use this with moderation).
  • Slacking off: You're couch potato, do something with your life.
HST isn't magic but it is trying to create a balanced, progressive stimulus that your body can adapt to from beginner to advanced. However, you are adding in an extra variable of rugby and the training that comes with it, there is nothing wrong with that but every game and training is going to create a different level of stress and recovery needs. There are a million ways to manage this but to stay progressive in your workouts it will all come down to doing as much volume as you reasonably at a steadily increasing intensity can and then slightly increasing that in your next cycle.

One example of this would be for you to keep your current lifting regime, however instead of maxing keep 1 or two reps in the tank. Record that and then in two weeks try and beat it by one rep or 5lbs. (For instance if you got 175lbsx15 reps, try and do either 180x15 or 175x16 after two weeks) If you get your number, don't go all out and set a new PR just aim to beat it again in two weeks. This will allow you to not stress your body to the limit.

However this will also create consistency but not "mental toughness" so you will have to keep in mind that when you are training you are setting easy to succeed reasonable goals and when you are competing you are leaving it all on the line.

So I've rattled on long enough but here is a summary of my points, train with purpose and train to get better in the long term. No cookie cutter program will auto-magically do that for you, you need to understand the mechanisms of your body and then make the best decisions you can and be adaptable (or hire a strength and conditioning coach lol).

Back