complex vs simple carbs

jwbond

when i cut i try to keep on injest simple carbs post workout shake. however, i have heard of some using simple carbs (ie dextrose) to up their carb intake throughout the day. can you use simple carbs to increase your carb intake without large amounts of fat gain?

i always thought comlex carbs were best, but now i am second guessing myself.

there seems to be two opposing shools of though with respect to this and like you I always believed that complex was better but it seems to point to the fact that simple Carbs are a good and viable way to suppliment a diet with extra carbs

but then that's not based on any sound research just personal experience, however bulking on simple carbs had me put on a little extra viceral (tummy) fat, although it was the fastest bulk-up I ever had :confused:

yeah i am interested since it i am getting tired of eating so dang much. i have a real fast metabolism so i have to eat rediculous amounts to bulk.

do you think the tummy from the simple carbs are from additional calories or the insulin spike?

also, wouldn't an insulin spike be better for when bulking to tell your body to put on weight? or will it tell it to put on fat?

youre in the wrong forum section...there is one specific for diet...

i guess you know the difference between simple and complex carbs? well post workout it seems not to matter that much what kind of carbs you consume but usually (independently if cutting or bulking) you want to get the carbs as soon into your system as possible to fill up your glycogen stores, thats why most people rely on fluid simple carbs.

it is right that simple carbs push insulin more then complex carbs (simply because the body can break em up faster) but this depends on the total carb load - that said, a small amount of simple carbs will push insulin less then a huge amount of complex carbs...

so, insulin is nothing bad in particular...for an anabolic environnement you need insulin...but unfortunatly it will also cause fat storage...well bulking without fat gain is simply not possible... but hey, even protein does spike insulin so...

to sum up, wheter bulking or cutting, besides (directly) post workout you want to rely on complex carbs... of course you can also fill your calories up while bulking with simple carbs, but you will probably end up with a worse muscle/fat gain ratio...

Personally, I never worry about it much. I just try to hit my calorie and macronutrient goals however I can. I don't gain much fat during my bulks either... but then, I've never gained fat very easily, so who knows.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ Dec. 10 2005,11:01)]it is right that simple carbs push insulin more then complex carbs (simply because the body can break em up faster) but this depends on the total carb load - that said, a small amount of simple carbs will push insulin less then a huge amount of complex carbs...
This is the problem with complex vs simple classificatin, and why most of hte world has dumped the classification.

Just becuase its a 'complex' carb doesnt mean that insulin or glucose remains low.

the terms have nothing to do with glycemic or insulinemic responses.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Dec. 09 2005,11:51)]
wow.gif
1-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ Dec. 10 2005,11
wow.gif
1)]it is right that simple carbs push insulin more then complex carbs (simply because the body can break em up faster) but this depends on the total carb load - that said, a small amount of simple carbs will push insulin less then a huge amount of complex carbs...
This is the problem with complex vs simple classificatin, and why most of hte world has dumped the classification.
Just becuase its a 'complex' carb doesnt mean that insulin or glucose remains low.
the terms have nothing to do with glycemic or insulinemic responses.
so what do YOU recomend aaron?

well BUT a food that contains a lot of simple sugar usually also contains lots of bad fats...moreover, food that contains lots of complex starchy or fibrous carbs usually fills you up faster...what i mean is, it is much easier to eat 300g of chocolate then to eat 300g of oats...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ Dec. 10 2005,9:12)]well BUT a food that contains a lot of simple sugar usually also contains lots of bad fats
Actually, there are lots of foods that are high on the glycemic index that are not high in any kind of fat. Corn, carrots, raisins, most breads, bananas ...

so I guess the general feeling is Either complex or simple would do the trick as far as bulking is concerned (but simple in pre workout drink b/c it's more practical)

However simple carbs would tend to lead to a greater fat gain than Complex :) ??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HSTMunich85 @ Dec. 12 2005,1:38)]Cooked carrots are very high up there - thats what makes the difference
Not really

THere has been four studies on carrots and glycemic index, one raw, three cooked.

The raw is rated at 16

The cooked are 32, 49 and 92.

The 92 measure seems to have not enough repeat measures

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rakki @ Dec. 12 2005,6:58)]However simple carbs would tend to lead to a greater fat gain than Complex :) ??
not really, its just far easier to overeat with 'simple'

Back