15's 10's 5's in one week

Let me put it this way.

Strain=Deformation of an object due to stress, right?

Is strain traumatic to a structure? In some cases yes, some no depending on the magnitude of the strain and the structure.

So looking at this we can see that the "magnitude" of strain and what the strain is placed upon is what dictates whether or not it's a non-traumatic event, traumatic event or damaging event.

The thing is, time is also a factor is the application of stress.

Also interesting is that the research seems to suggest that the stress need not be damaging in order to cause growth. Or, maybe I read it wrong?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (navigator @ Aug. 24 2005,9:36)]The thing is, time is also a factor is the application of stress.

Also interesting is that the research seems to suggest that the stress need not be damaging in order to cause growth.  Or, maybe I read it wrong?
Exactly and you being the physicist can definatley elaborate on stress and strain a whole let better than me. Your point is exactly what we have been talking about at my forum, the Time Tension interplay.

Yup, again, doesn't only suggest it, comes right on out and says it.

Right now the HST cycle 15,10,5 or whatever tops at your 5RM which is 85% of 1RM; it looks like they are saying there is no benefit to going over 65-70% of 1RM which comes to around your 10RM, so it would be interesting to work with the same progressive load etc with a target of 10RM. What i have been doing is staying with my original HST cycle 5RM and when I start going greater than 70% of 1RM I focus more on getting the total number of reps for that exercise using clusters. So no more 3-4 sets of 5reps; just target total reps.

Well, the thing that's really got me thinking is the notion of mechanical work. HST has helped us to understand that progressive load is a stimulus for growth. Now, this TTI business is suggesting that time is a factor, too. But mechanical work is the product of the load (a.k.a. force) and time (TTI?). In our training, work can be progressed by simply increasing the load and/or the TTI (i.e., the volume of training).

At any rate, I cannot help but wonder if research isn't leading us to the mechanical work as a stimulus for growth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zoomz @ Aug. 24 2005,8:14)]What i have been doing is staying with my original HST cycle  5RM and when I start going greater than 70% of 1RM I focus more on getting the total number of reps for that exercise using clusters.  So no more 3-4 sets of 5reps; just target total reps.
What have been your observations with this approach? Any results yet?

Just finishing my 15's this Friday; will keep everyone posted once cycle finished. I start hitting the 65-70% 1RM near the end of my 10's, if anything it'll save my elbows doing 6 sets of 3 instead of 4 of 5's so we'll see. I hope to see others with much more experience than me explore this. Dans site has been very information in trying to understand the basics at least; I highly recommend someone just starting out to peruse the vast amounts of studies, it's a must IMO. :)

Ah, well, in that case, damage is unnecessary, as well as microtrauma in the context of damage to cell membrane. All that's needed is the tension to produce enough strain to elicit sarcolemma distortion and anabolic processes, at least from the study.

The thing is, I always thought some degree of damage was necessary for the growth factors. What makes them active outside of the cell if the cell membrane is not damaged even a bit?

Back