ok guys need a little help

Joe.Muscle

So my gym is having the best loser contest...for losing weight.Which I am not participating in. But a couple of my friends are all trying to see how much we can all buff up to in the next 3 months...now I am not talking about getting fat...I am talking best lean muscle gains. So naturally I want to get into the challenge with them. The thing is they dont know I regular visit this forum...so I am hoping I have you guys on my side for extra knowledge and power. So that being said...I need some recommendation on beeting these guys. I am fixing to get real detail oriented with my protein and calories.

So here is my profile please take a look and help with my plan of attack.

I will be working out Monday wed friday.

I will be doing the following exercises.
10 degree incline bench 4 sets
Back rows 4 sets
Shoulder press 3 sets
Leg press or squats 4 sets
abs 3 sets

I have started drinking 9 glasses of fat free milk a day..b/c it tastes better than shakes to me and I am getting in also 2 protein bars of 13 grams a day. B/c of my desk job it is hard to eat every 3 hours so normally i get 3 decent meals a day.

I am currently weighing in at 185% and I have 11.5 % bodyfat according to electronic hand help machine I have.

I am six feet tall.

Any suggestions???

Put some Muscle Milk in that fat free milk. Mmmm it tastes so good, you wont be disapointed. Or drink 1% to get some more calories in.

What exactly are the rules to the challenge? If it is just weight than I suggest going on a hardcore bulk. And if you have to maintain your body fat percentage than maybe bulk hard for 9 weeks and then cut dramatically for 3? That might be a bad idea I dont know what do the other guys think?

Joe G

I would in throw chin ups/ lat pull downs. Is that shoulder press standing? It should be. You should do straight leg deadlifts on the day you leg press to hit those hams. Supposedly the ideal diet is somewhere around 55:30:15 carbs, fat and protein. Pre workout nutrition, high GI carbs and whey, during the workout drink a sports drink and perhaps some more whey then some a complete meal with perhaps some Udo's choice, low GI carbs and a slow digesting protein like casein. If you eat a lot of EFA's and perhaps some CLA it will help to keep your fat down.

I would change 2 of he incline sets in to weighted dips. Also why not use some whey powder. Whey is cheaper and better than bars and milk, Espically after work out. 3 meals a day is fine, but u can probably get in a postwork out meal of whey and fructose right after your workout right? anyways good luck. Dont go to GNC, go to Costco

Make a shake and bring it o work.

Read the HST FAQ's.

Also, some great, healthy foods include the following (foods are from the abs diet power 12)

1.Almonds and Nuts - building muscle, fighting food cravings

2.Beans and Other Legumes - building muscle, helping burn fat, regulating digestion

3.Spinach and Other Green Veggies - Neutralizing free radicals

4.Dairy Products - building strong bones, firing up weight loss

5.Instant Oatmeal - boosting energy, maintaing blood sugar levels

6.Eggs - building muscle, burning fat

7.Turkey and Other Lean Meats - building muscle, improving immune system

8.Peanut Butter (all natural-sugar free) - boosting testosterone, building muscle, burning fat

9.Olive Oil - lowering cholesterol, boosting immune system

10.100 % Whole Wheat Breads and Pasta - preventing body from storing fat

11.Protein Powder - building muscle, burning fat

12.Berries - protecting heart, enhancing eyesight, improving memory, preventing cravings

I'm guessing these foods will go more toward building muscle than McDonalds or grandma's dumplings.

Don't be too scared of the fats. They help a lot on a bulk, in my opinion. How many calories are you taking in? I'm about your height, and I have to take in 4000-5000 to bulk. I'm a little heavier though, so maybe you don't have to eat as much.

Also, I know you are conditioned and everything, but I think bulking can work more effectively sometimes with slightly fewer sets. I prefer 2 compounds for legs, 2-3 for back, 2 for chest and then maybe 1 or two isos for the arms. I only do 1 or 2 sets for each exercise when doing sets (currently I'm clustering) and I continue to grow. Might work for you.
My philosophy is that you should do as little work as possible when bulking, to save more calories for building mass... but then, I have to eat a massive amount to gain, so I have to try to save calories wherever I can. Maybe it's different for you? I don't know. Just something to consider.

Good luck.

Thanks Totentanz !

Yeah i like your idea of reducing sets.

I am considering doing just that b/c like you said it will help with bulk. I bulk really good however like everyone else I start adding it in the stomach after a little while and after cutting all the way down this summer and getting my desired look I promised myself I would get to bulky again...but its just fun to see that t-shirt swell up....hehe.

Anyway I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

wrestling mark thanks for details post...however I have read the faq a couple of times..hehe
laugh.gif

I like to drink soemthing like fruit juice or gatorade during a workout to keep my blood sugar levels high and (supress cortisol production?). Just personal preference.

I'd use A & B workouts, alternating only compounds MWF:

A: olympic squats, bench, bent rows, standing press, shrugs

B: deadlifts, dips, chins, standing press

Back