Getting ready to try HST!

I think I am retarded when it comes to the quote button.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Keystone

It is easy to use the quote button, highlight the test you want and copy it, then click the quote button, paste and click it again

laugh.gif
You almost got it right
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No you not retarded, but you funny, I'll give you that
laugh.gif

Here - make it simple, the text has to be between the quote signs eg :[quote.] text you want [/quote.] you can physically type the square brackets etc, etc, then the text, then again the square bracket with the forawrd slash.

Easy way - click quote button, paste text you want, click quote button again.

One thing I also don't quiote now how to use the one in the normal reading mode, this is iun the answering mode.

Figured it out. woohoo. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sorry, should have warned you there! , what kind of load did you use?

I was justing using a light load to get my 15RM. I am sure it was my breathing. Plus, I did them after quite a few dips and pullups since I was testing those too. Like you said, I am sure part of it was the fact I was doing 15 reps too.

I plan on alternating various exercises on my subsequent cycles. Squats/deadlifts, flat bench/incline bench, military presses/rear delts and rows/chins. Wanted to get my feet wet first with a plain jane cycle and then expound on it from there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Simple as it is is good! Towards the 5's and negatives you can then add some metabolic work (also up to you).

I also elected to skip the negatives my first time around. I can also change that too if you think I should. I was planning on adding them on subsequent cycles as well.

I will sound dumb now: what do you mean by metabolic work? I tried to google and it and couldn't figure out exactly what you mean. I will search the forums also.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Keystone

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I will sound dumb now: what do you mean by metabolic work? I tried to google and it and couldn't figure out exactly what you mean. I will search the forums also.

I did some searching and seems like you are referring to drop sets and burn sets?

PS. Getting to be a pro with the quote button now. :)

Keystone

Key

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I plan on alternating various exercises on my subsequent cycles. Squats/deadlifts, flat bench/incline bench, military presses/rear delts and rows/chins. Wanted to get my feet wet first with a plain jane cycle and then expound on it from there.

Good, plain Jane for now is good, as long as you have the basic six deads/squats/bench/dips/chins/shoulder presses that is all you really need.

Alternating like that is good as you get to use all the exercises you want, ans still keep progresssion, while avoiding burnout!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also elected to skip the negatives my first time around. I can also change that too if you think I should. I was planning on adding them on subsequent cycles as well.

This is not too much of a problem, as you are trying out, but do them when you can, they are the big builders :D

Changing is not up to me, you are your own "master builder", I can only tell you what I think, and for now that is not a sin, just don't be surprised if you don't get much growth, as that will also be normal, many of us do without the negatives when short of a partner, then you can prolong the 5's for the saemamount of time and try to "push the envelope" so to say, with the 5's by adding as much as you can.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I will sound dumb now: what do you mean by metabolic work?

Nothing dumb about it, here's an extract of the "pimp my hst e-book"

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1.3 Scheduling of HST Phase and Sections
As mentioned before, I prefer layering in the techniques according to each phase. More or less, this is the general template (though there are exceptions.)
Note: Because of this layout, most isolation movements are not performed during 15s. This is intentional.
HST Phase
Section
15s Core
10s Core + Specialization
5s Core + Specialization + Metabolic Stress + some optimization techniques
Post-5s Core + Specialization + Metabolic Stress + all optimization techniques

3.1 Specialization and Metabolic Stress Terminology
Below are some terminology you will see again and again in the Specialization section. Again, some of the explanations are getting a little ahead of their proper sections in this document, but it’s probably better to get exposed now before you get bombarded with it later.
3.1.1 Stretch point exercise vs. Peak Contraction exercise
These are Position of Flexion-related terms. Essentially, stretch-point exercises are exercises that work the target muscle through a particularly stretched range of motion. Usually the sticking point is at the point of full stretch. They increase strain through stretch and increase MAPKp38 activity and accelerate sarcomere hypertrophy. Most stretch-point exercise is single-joint, isolation movements with the exception of legs (SLDL, sissy squats.) Peak-contraction exercises are exercises that work the target muscle in its most contracted range of motion. Virtually all peak-contraction exercises are isolation movements. These don't increase strain that much over normal compound movements, but they do a great job at increasing metabolic stress, fatigue, MAPKerk1/2 activity, and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy in the target muscle. Most of y'all been doing this movement for years. There are POF tables detailing a sample of them. Note: certain movements can "qualify" as both, but the actual technique does vary whether you want to emphasize the stretch or the contraction.
3.1.2 Static hold vs. Loaded Stretch (LS)
Static hold is just holding the weight at a certain position. Your static strength is greater than your concentric strength, though less that your eccentric strength. Static holds let you milk the benefits of the muscle's contracted or stretched point and can be way to extend the TUL of a set. Loaded stretches are essentially static holds in an extremely stretched position. When a mildly heavy-to-heavy weight is held in an unusually stretched position for sufficient time, the passive-stretch reflex kicks in and slowly increases the effective tension at that point. Natural application of loaded stretch is to simply perform a static hold with your stretch-point movement at that load. That facilitates a progressive element with loaded stretches. A more thorough discussion is covered in the respective Customizing section.
3.1.3 Partial vs. Pulsing
Partials are about performing a rep in a limited range of motion. You can't use as much weight as you would with a static. However, you introduce concentric and eccentric motion. Various applications exist in using partials to accentuate strain and accentuate metabolic stress. A more thorough discussion is covered in the respective Customizing section. Pulsing are essentially partials with very short ROM (like 1-3 inches.) Pulsing with peak contraction exercises is perhaps the most effective way to generate metabolic stress. A variation of pulsing, by hitching the myotatic reflex, exists in order to accentuate strain as well. A more thorough discussion is covered in the respective Customizing section.
3.1.4 Pulses vs. Pulse Stretch (PS)
Pulsing is a form of generating high metabolic stress. It involves working at the ROM near contraction.
Pulse stretch is a form of generating extremely intense stretches. It is a variation of ballistic/PNF stretching and is arguably the most effective and dangerous technique to generate strain.
PS is “bouncing” at near stretch. That is, as the weight approaches lockout, suddenly “slack” the weight to rapidly increase the speed of the descent. Then, suddenly change direction, raising the weight. When this occurs, an intense contraction should occur. As soon as this happens, lower the weight, stretching against this contraction.
3.1.5 Rest pause
Ideally, you'd hold the barbell in its locked out position until you can do another rep. But, what I espouse (for boosting metabolic stress) is a combination of rest-pause and a steady progression of normal, then partial, then pulse, then finally static movements in order to extend TUL.

Man...it gets too long...you'd better download it and read it, it is well worth it.

here's a link:

Pimp my HST- Ebook

and another
all other useful topics

Cheers

Fausto

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]just don't be surprised if you don't get much growth, as that will also be normal

I will take whatever I can get. I am in no hurry. I am just really excited to start implementing HST. I am completely sold on the science/research that is behind it and I haven't even tried it yet. :)

To take it slow, I figure I will do a plain jane cycle, then a cycle with various alternating exercises and prolonged 5s and then incorporate the negatives in on my third cycle. That should keep me busy for almost 6 months doing that.

Thanks for the pimping HST ebook. I will read through it today.

At this point, I think I probably should just shut up and lift. :)

Thanks again.

Keystone

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At this point, I think I probably should just shut up and lift.

No such policy here!

You keep talking, maybe next start a thread with your log or something like that!

Happy HSTying
laugh.gif

Back