Electricity

Rain

Strangest thing...yesterday I tried out a gizmo that sends pulses of electricity through the muscle, whatever muscle you you apply the equipment to. I strapped it to my upper arm, and only went to level 5 out of 12. It really made my muscle contract hard, but I didn't think I'd feel anything today. But today I'm actually somewhat sore -- which is strange since I almost never get sore during regular weight training. I'm currently in the first week of negatives, and haven't really felt any soreness from 8's and forward. Along comes this thing, and whammo - soreness.

How does this actually work? Anyone got an idea?

Regards,
/ R

Strange... Those things supposedly make your muscles contract by sending pulses of electricity, so that you can actually exercise without the CNS taking notice. In theory it may be a good idea, but I hear that they are nowhere near as effective as a heavy weight.

I can only think of 2 explanations;
1. You applied it to a muscle you don't usually train (i.e. low level of conditioning), but I doubt it, since you said it was your upper arm.
2. Super high volume. Even a relatively light weight can cause soreness if the volume is far far more than what you are accustomed to. How long did you leave it on for?

Did you train at all that day? Maybe the combined volume of your normal training and this device was enough to create soreness (however I bet that the tension created by this device is nothing compared to that of weight training).

Since you are in your negatives, I don't think it can induce something more than just metabolic work... Any other ideas?

I definitely train my arms, even do isolations (although not now when in the heavy stuff). Do 3 times a week, mon, wed, fri, so I didn't work out with weights yesterday.

Volume: I had it on for about 5 minutes, I guess, where I gradually worked up to level 5 (which felt pretty intense). I was on level 5 for about 2 minutes, and during that time my upper arm muscles contracted (hard) about every third second, for about 2 seconds a time. Even though I obviously WORK harder during a weight session, I felt my muscles seemed to contract more intensely. Can that have something to do with the fact that I feel sore?

I've never tried this kind of equipment before, but it was a strange experience. Makes me wonder if there might be a place for this as a way of adding extra frequency to my existing workout schedule without affecting the CNS. For example, 3 regular HST workouts per week and a couple of electricity sessions in between, on the off days?

/ R

Back