volume confusion

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by wwewrestlingguy, Dec 19, 2005.

1. wwewrestlingguy

wwewrestlingguy New Member

How much volume is too much? I'm a young guy (17 years old) and seem to have a lot of energy for training. I've never gotten real good results from HST but I think it's because I've been too concerned with overtraining. I never feel like I'm really pushing myself with HST. I look at other people's training volumes and when I use similar volumes I don't get anything out of it. I can probably handle alot of volume and I'm thinking of starting a new cylce the first week of January. Any suggestions???

2. Use the most you can and still workout frequently without suffering from strength deficits.

3. bodyguard

bodyguard New Member

If you have a lot of energy than do 3 sets with the 15/10/5
    :)

4. jvroig

jvroig Super Moderator

I doubt anybody here can give you a solid figure that would be accurate for you.

The volume rule is simply what Dan just mentioned, or, as I like to state it (and quite frequently at that): Do as much as you can without sacrificing your ability to train frequently

Don't worry, you can determine what that is for yourself after a few trials. There's no other way to do it, due to so much personal differences. You just have to learn to listen to your body. As another often quoted saying here goes, "Everybody's got to manage their own training".

5. Downward Spiral

Downward Spiral New Member

You haven't gotten good results? Perhaps you should take a look at your diet, and not your training. You should be gaining some form of weight if you're eating enough, be it muscle or fat.

6. wwewrestlingguy

wwewrestlingguy New Member

Thanks guys.. my diet's fine, I'm pretty sure I just need some more volume. I'm starting a cycle on January 2nd and it will have more volume, so we'll see how that goes.

7. semajes

semajes New Member

Everything is relative to your level of conditioning, as well. There is no one answer. You have to lift a heavy-enough load, for a long-enough time. Oh yeah, and it has to be frequently-enough, too. :)

8. corvettecris

corvettecris New Member

Sorry, but I'm still new to HST: Say you do 3 sets during the 15/10/5's. Isn't your volume decreasing over time? IE: (15x3=45, 5x3=15)? Or is my perception of volume terribly wrong? Is this ok, to decrease volume as load increases?

9. Joe.Muscle

Joe.Muscle Active Member

Wrestling guy...not to dispute you b/c without looking at your diet, we can not tell if you are fine.

But at 17 several things should be happening.

A) If you are lifting correctly and eating correctly you should be growing off any routine at your age just b/c of testosterone at your age.

B) Definatly if you are doing HST correctly and eating you should be gaining???

C) I am not sure of your conditioning but unless you have been training for a while and at 17 im guess you have not, again you should be gaining.

D) At 17 most likely your metabolism is in very high gear. You are prob burning lost of calories a day just by being young and active.

I know how hard it is to reach calorie requirements for me everyday when i eat very clean and I am 27 with slower metabolism than you. So If I were you I would take a close look at my diet. Maybe you should throw in a protein milk shake and some creatine. Your grab you a double quarter pounder once a day. Dont get me wrong chicken, tuna and steak would be better but at your age I really think from what it sounds like that you are not hitting your calorie requirments.

10. noobie

noobie New Member

corv, the volume is decreasing over time because the load is getting higher, so you will naturally be unable to lift so much, but 3 sets during the 15's and 10s is a good bit especially during the end of each rep scheme, I think that's why bodyguard said if you have a lot of energy. I can pull off 2 sets of 15, 2 sets of 10s and 4 sets of 5's but thats when i start excluding most isolation exercises in the 5's. Plus, I'm running on 11 hours of sleep everyday now since i'm on winter break for a month from college :D aka lots of energy.

pzhang

11. semajes

semajes New Member

Also, a lot of us do try to keep volume pretty consistent -- especially from the 10s to the 5s (ie. two sets of 10, three or four sets of 5s).

If you are new to weight training, three sets of 10s is probably more than you need.

12. corvettecris

corvettecris New Member

Rodger that. I guess that's why someone said (Dan or Bryan?"): Do 15x1, 10x2, and 5x3. Think of anything more as a bonus, but not required.

I am by no means a noob to lifting, but when it comes to HST, I am still wearing diapers.

13. semajes

semajes New Member

That volume is a good place to start. Run through a couple of cycles and if it needs tweaking, there are lots of things you can do.

14. jvroig

jvroig Super Moderator

Take note that whatever number of reps/sets that were suggested is merely a starting place. You eventually have to know the volume you can manage and still train as frequently. Again, it boils down to managing your own training. Follow the basics first, then monitor your fatigue levels and your performance, and adjust as necessary.