Cardio for those that walk anyway

ian

I walk an hour to the gym, do my workout, and walk back.
I then walk where ever im going that day, I always have walked miles and probably will.

Point is that im that used to it that I do believe it is of any weight reduction use to me and I could get on a treadmill and walk all day without breaking a sweat.

So how do I do cardio to lose fat (without losing muscle)?

You could turn your walk into a HIIT session on the way to the gym, or on the way home or whenever else you are walking somewhere. I wouldn't do it all the time, obviously, but once in a while maybe, since you're out anyway.

ian,

Doing "cardio" has two benefits:

1. Your cardiovascular conditioning is improved
2. You burn more calories than when you do nothing. People that normally do nothing, lose fat when they start doing cardio, and burn more calories than they eat. In fact, you don't have to do "cardio" to achieve this (i.e. exercising with an increased heart rate), using up more energy by any form of physical exercise works fine.

Judging by the amount of walking you do, your cardiovascular conditioning is pretty well covered.

Remains the point of burning more calories than you eat.

When you walk, you burn calories, whether it seems easy or hard to you, whether you sweat or not. If you are experienced you burn about the same amount of calories per mile as when you are inexperienced.

So you could increase the amount of walking you do, or look at your diet and eat less calories.

Since you probably don't need the cardiovascular benefits, just change your diet to include less calories

Good luck,

Rommeke_

Back