just for curiousity....what are the 15s doing??

I

imported_davewins

I'm starting HST today for the first time. I will be doing 15's and I am going to look very weak but I can care less. Just curious what exactly the 15s are good for?? I know that heavier weight less reps is good for building mass but what is 15's good for?? Just curious in the science part of it I guess...thanx in advance

You need to re-read the theory behind HST. After your SD (strategic deconditioning) you muscles will be suitably deconditioned to the training stimulus and consequently a 'light' load will be sufficient to produce a growth stimulus.

ps yeah you feel a bit silly sometimes with the first weights of a cycle but you can guarantee you will grow more over the next couple of weeks then anyone who doesnt understand what your doing
biggrin.gif

<div>
(style @ Feb. 22 2006,11:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You need to re-read the theory behind HST. After your SD (strategic deconditioning) you muscles will be suitably deconditioned to the training stimulus and consequently a 'light' load will be sufficient to produce a growth stimulus.

ps yeah you feel a bit silly sometimes with the first weights of a cycle but you can guarantee you will grow more over the next couple of weeks then anyone who doesnt understand what your doing  
biggrin.gif
</div>
cool thanx. Yeah I have no problem doing 15s and looking weak. I definetley trust this program. I am going to be following it perfectly. I'm just gonna feel weird doing close-grip bench press. I am going to have 2 and a half pounds on each end of the bar because my routine calls for 50lbs for the 1st day of 15's. Oh well...

Dave,

I think I am right in saying that it's best not to start with a weight that is less than 50% of your max for that rep range. If you find that to be the case just use the same weight for a few sessions or reduce the increment a bit from one w/o to the next.

So instead of '50,60,70,80,90,100',

you might use '60,60,70,80,90,100'

or '75,80,85,90,95,100'

Depends on the exercise.

Whilst it's a good idea to try to make the increments (and therefore the progression) as large as possible, starting at 50%, or below, of your max can seem just a little too light.

Also, go for the burn during the 15s. So at the start when the weight is light do more reps and/or slow down the cadence so you can really feel that lactic acid building up.
biggrin.gif
I tend to do at least 20 reps for each exercise at the start of 15s.

It's the lactic acid that you want to prep your joints and tendons for the heavier 10s and 5s to come. For the science behind this, read the FAQ.

well for close grip bench my 15 rm is 75lbs. I used 5lb increments and it called for 50lbs for the first day. I did it and it didn't seem way too easy.

Here is a extract of the FAQ- E-book, you really should read it.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
34.1. The 15s in HST

Before you give up completely on the 15 rep range, try lowering the weight... The 15s will accomplish what they are designed to even if the weight isn't that heavy.

It just has to burn like the &quot;dickens&quot;. So, slow down the pace, squeeze and stretch, and try to enjoy them. You should feel tired afterwards, but there isn't any real benefit (size wise) from killing yourself.

The 15s are designed to condition your tendons for the upcoming heavy loads.

During the first 2 weeks of 15s, you are only going for intense burning. You want the kind of burn that starts small but then by the end of the set you can hardly bear it.

Do whatever it takes to both get this burn, as well as increase the weight every workout.</div>

and...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">

Utilizing lactic acid as a stimulus for tendon repair/health

Now HST incorporates a few other things such as higher reps (for lactic acid) to prepare the muscles and tendons for future heavy loads. This serves as &quot;regular maintenance&quot;.

Without it, you increase your risk of chronic injuries and pain. The metabolically-taxing reps enhance healing of strained tendons.</div>

That should give you a crystal clear picture, however this is not mandatory but it certainly helps, I use it each time.
cool.gif

<div>
(davewins @ Feb. 23 2006,02:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">well for close grip bench my 15 rm is 75lbs.  I used 5lb increments and it called for 50lbs for the first day.  I did it and it didn't seem way too easy.</div>
Sounds like you have it just right then. You are starting at 66% of your max.

I usually find that after a 9 day SD the first session or two of 15s just 'feel' a lot heavier than expected, but as I get to the end of the 15s I have (so far) always managed to get 15 reps out and still be one or two reps short of failure. 15s usually give me a good pump even from a single set.

Fausto: Thanks for popping those quotes in. Must re-read the FAQ myself. I was kinda hoping that Bryan's HST book would be out before having to go through all that extra staring at the screen again. I gave my printed copy away to a mate so I'll have to print it out again. I really hope the book is stuffed full of illustrations and pics and that that is one of the reasons why it's taking a while to get it sorted.

also your 10rm is heavier than your 15rm but your muscles are under tension longer on your 15rm (bin reading some of ridgleys stuff)

some cool insights in the 15s Lol,
i am also looking forward to the book, me and a few of my friends are getting copies as soon as it comes out.

Back