Whey Protein

Reven

Well I just bought some non-flavored whey, what type of whey? No idea it was just labeled whey but for only 3.19 Canadian I figured who cares what type it is. I tried it and it kind of tastes like skim milk powder i guess. I'm pretty sure it's not whey since at 3.19 (2.10 US) they would have to be making next to nothing by selling it. Just wanted to check if whey protein concentrate (guess that's what it would be) tastes like powdered milk?

Steve

I only tried unflavoured whey one time (got a 1kg sample) and went straight back to flavoured - It was disgusting!

Can't honestly say whether it tastes exactly like skimmed milk, since I don't like milk either ;) but what I can tell you, is the stuff I had was an off-white colour, pale cream almost. It was sort of more 'fluffly' than my regular whey, if you can understand that, and also had quite a strong odour. It tasted creamy, but not nice (for me), so I flavoured it with milk shake powder, but it still had a rather unpleasant aftertaste IMO.

I believe the main costs invlolved 'normal' flavoured whey products is incurred in the processing of the product, and the actual whey itself should be very cheap if it doesn't have to go through the refining/flavouring processes. Actually, I think it's a waste by-product produced when creating cheeses or some such thing (some-one will correct me I'm sure).

Hope some of my rambling helps! If you found a cheap source and can stomach the taste, then I'd say go for it :)

Rob.

bear in mind that the whey you buy can be anywhere from 20%-80% protein and still be classed as 'whey concentrate'!!!
Did it have a nutritional information sticker? assuming it tells the truth, you can detremine the % protein.
I bought a 5kg bucket of unflavoured whey....it was good for about a week. i was experimenting with different smoothie recepies. but thank god ive finished it. it gets really tiresome.
To be honest I dont even know if it was genuinely whey!

Now i stick with very well known brands. I know there is still controversy over the 'quality' of certain products, but my thinking is that it is less likely that a huge company will tamper with their product if its in mass factory production.

if it tastes like skim milk then it's probably skim milk powder try mixing it with water see what colour it goes.
I get wpi 93% from new zeleand 12$ per kilo i use it for pre and post workout can't really notice the diff in taste when it's mixed with 50g of dextrose.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thedon @ Feb. 05 2003,5:30)]I get wpi 93% from new zeleand 12$ per kilo i use it for pre and post workout can't really notice the diff in taste when it's mixed with 50g of dextrose.
Just wondering where you actually get it from? if its not too private
tounge.gif

Back