1-2 RM

King

It is perfectly fine to do that however the negatives are there so that you can do 5 reps with that RM, make sense?

Fausto is right.

Plus anyone who know me, knows I do not adevate 1 rep max lifting...especially for hypertrophy.

The risk/ return is to far out of balance.

Unless you are a powerlifter...there is no need, beside the ol ego check.

But if you are going to do it regardless make sure you warm up really good.

Ok, I did not even consider the safety side of it, if you're training alone this is not feasible or desirable!

1 RM are not to be done alone at all, if you're not alone then do the negatives and YES you can then use 1 RM if it is fine.

WARM up rewal good and make usre that you can handle it without injuring yourself!

That's what negatives are for. You work up to your 2 RM, doing 2 full reps then 3 negative only reps. It's in the FAQ under negatives/eccentrics if you want to read more.

Even powerlifters often save maximal lifts for competition as they don't want to get injured in training.

After my last injury I will now not use greater than 3RM loads but then I am an old bloke. I expect more youthful guys can train heavier and with less chance of injury. But if you can do negs why take the risk? My injury occured on the concentric phase of the exercise, not the eccentric, so I reckon negs are a little safer.

If you do use heavier loads than 5RM make sure you keep your form really good and don't try to do cheating movements to get the job done. That's when things can go pop!

its upto you dude,i wouldnt recommend it on a regular basis,but at the end of a cycle i do a week like this

mon 3reps max
wed 2 reps max
friday 1 rep max

i take extra care and use the weight very slowly.helped me gain some strength and pushed my high rep maxs up also.just be carefull,you have to be 100% confident in your lifts when maxing.take a well earned rest at the end of it.

if we're going for strength when maybe, but as everyone else has stated its a good way to get injured if done on a regular basis, but even for strength there are safer ways of going about it. well thats what i think anyway

Back