1 Rep Maxes - useful for training or just bragging rights?

nislyj

Does testing and knowing your one rep maxes for the big lifts fulfill any important training function, or is it simply a way to gauge your strength vs. the next guy?

As I progress through my second cycle, I can visibly see my body changing and all my lifts are up significantly across the board (noob-gains, yeah!) but I've never takien the time/injury risk to go all out on that one rep. I'd rather just keep improving than risk blowing something out on a single rep.

Or am I missing something big here? Seems like a lot of people I talk to put a lot of stock in their 1RM's, and so far, I really haven't cared. Should I?

Thanks!

No, it doesn't matter. If you just want to grow, then you are fine just testing your 5 rep maxes, at the end of your cycle. For most exercises I only test my 5 rep max at the most. Only for the deadlift do I test at 1 rep max, because a strong deadlift is one of my goals. But unless you are a powerlifter, or just want to see how strong you are at one rep, then its totally unnecessary.

They're useless in comparison to someone else, for the most part.

They're highly useful for self-analysis and comparison, IMO. Significantly more useful than a 5RM ... ? Potentially. If I could only choose to test one? 5RM.

Good reference Fist! Like all studies, it has many flaws but, taken together with many other studies, indicates the same general results.

I think 1 RMs are good for training yourself to push yourself harder. A lot of people test 10 RMs or 5 RMs and kinda puss out when they do it. It gets hard so they count that as their RM when in reality, if they could get beyond those mental barriers, they could push or pull more than they think. Achieving a new max single on a deadlift changes you, makes you stronger mentally, not just physically.

So yes, I would test 1 RMs at least a couple times a year. However, that's me and I am interested in strength as well as size. If you just want to be big and look strong, then you don't really need to do them. As long as you are progressively adding weight to the bar over time, you will continue to grow.

I really appreciate the input, guys. I really like Tot's point about getting past those mental barriers.

It's also nice to know if you've increased your maximal strength significantly or not.

I think 1 RMs are good for training yourself to push yourself harder. A lot of people test 10 RMs or 5 RMs and kinda puss out when they do it. It gets hard so they count that as their RM when in reality, if they could get beyond those mental barriers, they could push or pull more than they think. Achieving a new max single on a deadlift changes you, makes you stronger mentally, not just physically.

So yes, I would test 1 RMs at least a couple times a year. However, that's me and I am interested in strength as well as size. If you just want to be big and look strong, then you don't really need to do them. As long as you are progressively adding weight to the bar over time, you will continue to grow.

I thought i had posted a message to this thread, similar thoughts to Totz though my post was not as well stated.

There is simply no fluff surrounding a 1RM attempt. You either get it or you don't; and you can't blame success or failure on "fatigue" from the previous reps, etc. 1RMs seem to me to be a more PURE measure of strength, so if you are interested in strength you should test your 1RM.

1RM's can be tricky, and can mess with your head. You load the bar with 245 thinking it's your max. You easily move the bar and quickly complete the 1 rep. You shake your head and add 10 pounds; then take a 5 minute break. You then BARELY complete the rep at 255; the spotter says he "didn't really touch" the bar, but you know he touched it... just not sure how much he helped. You're then thinking, "if I had tried 255 initially then I probably would have gotten it... bummer" So your 1RM is 250 or maybe it's actually 260 if you hadn't done multiple reps at near max loads. Maybe you would have been able to force out 260 when fresh? Either way, the data is still very useful in determining pure strength progression.

For me, those exercises that don't require a spotter are the best for testing maxes. Dips, Deads, Chins, (even squats with the right setup/equipment). If you fail, there is no serious danger of injury.

Bragging rights are a bonus though. Telling people you can deadlift 600 lbs sounds a lot cooler than saying "yeah, well I have a 5 RM of 220 on bench press mother ****er!" and they are all like "what's 5 RM mean? I don't understand."

Sheeple, whether lifters or not, tend to ask "how much can you bench press," like that is the holy grail of strength. I simply tell them that that I am a sissy-boy and too afraid to get injured to try for my 1 RM. I do, however, tell them that I use 240 pounds for dumbell incline presses for 6 reps and they usually look at me in a very strange way. Of course, I don't tell them that I mean 2-120 pound DB's and not 240 pounds in each hand. F em all! :cool:

Hah! The bragging rights bonus isn't going to do me much good until my lifts are worth bragging about. :)

Back