15 min. cardio session after hst workout ok?

i read in this article that short, low intensity cardio sessions after workout is great, but dont know if its the best for the hst philosophy. Heres a quote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Moderate duration, low intensity cardiovascular exercise leads to increases in both insulin dependent and insulin-independent glucose and amino acid uptake in muscle and liver cells for several hours after the exercise bout. So as a result, cardio can be somewhat anabolic for muscle tissue (from a nutrient partitioning viewpoint). Also, cardiovascular exercise burns a good amount of calories (and therefore fat) and leads to increased muscular uptake of nutrients for hours after exercise (there’s that nutrient partitioning again).
what do u guys think about this during hst? it seems to make sense, but maybe not a lot of it.

i train 3-4 times a week and run 3 days a week 45min which is proberbly too much but i would never mix cardio and weights, not good if you run low on energy stores while training your body will start to eat itself (protein),if you have to,try 5 mins max.

haven't u read the article though? cardio at low intensity after a workout creates a partitioning affect.

i kinda think thats bs, but ive heard that low intensity cardio should b done after a workout for various reasons on other sites.

Hey :)

Nothing wrong with what you want to do as long as you have proper pre and post workout nutrition.

There are a lot of people here who do the same thing that you are proposing. It's pretty convenient after all. After lifting weights, since you are at the gym already and the treadmill is just there, why not use it already?

If you have no idea about pre and post workout nutrition, that's what you should read up on first, then when you understand their purpose, you can apply that knowledge in really seeing and deciding for yourself what you can and can't do. I already told you that it's ok, but it still is a different thing to really "own" something that you decide to do, which is why I'm also advising you really read up. Don't worry, a simple search will most probably give you what you need.

Regards and good luck! :)
-JV

I'm confused, where does it say in that snippet that the cardio was after weight training?

You also have to consider what it is you are trying to accomplish and how intensity and duration play their parts.

In my viewpoint, you are wasting calories that you will need.

We recommend as per HST a workout of maximum 1 hour, it may take longer if you need to set up weights, wau\it for partner etc, but the actual work itself should not be longer than one hour.
butbut.gif

As Dan says I do not see where it mentions that the cardio is doen after the workout, I am sure you know that after an hour workout, you body will go into a catabolic state, and it will likely start scavenging on your muscle tissue, so it is not a good idea.

However cardio on days off is very much in...and most of us do it some more than others but it is definitely a way of controlling body fat andf maintaining cardio vascular health.

So as other say "ditto" it is not a very good idea as stated.

i was just wonderin if it was okay to do after the workout because in my quote, it says cardio after has a partioning effect on ur muscles, which is good. but i dont know if its the best to do during hst.

and yes, i know a lot about pre, post w nutrition.

Two to three should do.

Medium to high intensity, 20 - 30 minutes should get to the fat reserves and "eat some"
laugh.gif

Hi B.B!

I personally go to the gym between 4-6times a week for weight training and cardio. I love doing weight training everyday (and love the fact that HST is a way that that can be done!) but don't always make it for the 6 times a week - in anycase I do cardio in every session too.

Weights last max 40mins cardio is for 20mins, fairly intense (sometimes intervals, sometimes just building up and down in intensity, sometimes just the same level throughout but always fairly hard).

I'm trying to cut a little at the moment so I eat a lot of my carbs around my workout (including pre and post workout shakes) with the idea being that I will be fitter and will burn more fat at rest rather than burning fat in the actual workout. I'm not a fan of that because I'd rather be fitter and I hate doing medium intensity for a longtime - depends on your goals though, I'm also not a bodybuilder trying to hold onto every last ounce of muscle at all costs.

When bulking previously I've never used cardio but have always felt unfit and too flabby, I'm now going to continue to use cardio at all times but adjust my calorie intake according to whether I'm cutting/bulking etc.

Cheers

Rob

i have to do cardio after workout...so protein shake with glucose....45mins weights then glucose drink..25 mins cardio.. proten shake..1 hour later some real food :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heavy Duty dude @ Oct. 04 2005,2:29)]Use a fat burner if you do that. And either keep intensity low or do HIIT for a short time.
dont worry, if u read the quote that i first posted, it said to keep cardio at moderate to low intensity for 15 min.

im only planning on doing it for low intensity. anything higher and i think ill start robbing nutrients from my muscles.

in fact, heres a bit of info from abcbodybuilding.com about post workout cardio:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Circulation

After completion of a hardcore workout, waste rich blood tends to pool up in the target muscle group. While a blood pump is excellent and has been shown through many studies to enhance growth( for example lactic acid can actually increase testosterone levels (1, 2, 3) !), I would highly suggest focusing on bringing as many fresh micronutrients( vitamins ) and macronutrients ( carbs, proteins ) to the muscles immediately following a workout routine. In order to do this, you will want to assist your heart in circulating blood throughout the body.

This is best accomplished through some form of aerobic work, or movement with oxygen. The worst thing you can do is lay down on the ground and pant for 30 minutes. After an anaerobic, waste building workout, it's best to do the opposite. You can accomplish this through riding the elliptical machine, very slowly for 5 minutes or flexing and posing for 5-10 minutes.

After which I would lightly stretch the target muscle group. Not intensely as in fascia stretching, which will be included in the program, but more therapeutically applied. Stretching for 1-5 minutes will definitely enhance recovery.

basically, 5 min. is what these guys recommend, but then again, i dont know who to trust. abc and t nation r both very renowned bodybuilding websites. oh whatever, just another thing to wrry about...

Back