15s way too heavy

A

Alek

Gawd I love this forum. So much nicely given advice and right on target too!

Just finished 15s, and I have one thing that has never happened to me before as I tried HST for fun (never full cycle). That is... Every single one of the 15s excersises was HARD and heavy. I almost had to cheat to get 15 reps. Felt like it was my Rep Max when done. Strange considering that if anything I am probably eating too much, not too litlle.

Is this a good sign or a bad one?

In the last work out of the phase it is normal to approach failure, but the 15's are a peculiar lot, the main emphasis should be on the burning sensation in the muscle, a deep burn. Hitting failure before the burn isn't helping kick off the needed response, if this is your case rethink your weights and concentrate on the movement itself not the weight, use peak contraction, slower reps or pulse reps to emphasize the burn.

I do get a burn... But when out of the gym!? My muscle ache and burn. Is this the same?

Oh and... I feel weak and lethargic since starting the HST, all throughout the day and require alot of sleep. There's gotta be a connection here somewhere.

uh i think it's not the same burn. by burn dkm means while you are doing the set, your muscles complain and give off a burning sensation that makes your face twitch
laugh.gif

Correct, the burn should be during the set.

How long are your workouts, with proper nutrition and adequate but not too much work in the gym you should come away feeling a bit worked but not drained. Check your diet (see Bryans articles on eating for size and the FAQ on diet and nutrition) and your workout length. I suggest eating more carbs (especially during 15's), depending on how many you are eating currently, I may be way off though, since I am assuming (you know a$$ out of yada yada yada) much.

I am eating 3200 kcal (BW X 16). Some 40% carbs. I feel pumped all day long, I mean my muscles feel real tight all day long. My workouts are 45-55 minutes total. I am probably if anything eating too many carbs... That is I end up eating more than planned. My body kinda makes me crave them more than usual for some reason.

But today... hehehe. I woke up without bloatedness (probably thanks to jules vinegar advice). So without the bloatedness I was much better off in seeing the progress.

Also I saw that I actually have better definition than when I started, and my arms seriosly seem HUGE. And my 2 pack (lol) is better defined than when starting
happy.gif

Whatever i'm doing it seems to be working :), so I guess i'll be happy with the non-burn :)... But what's the point of the burn anyway? Is it neccesary for a proper cycle or?

The burn (during the set) is lactic acid, no?
Flushing the muscle/tendons/joints with it is supposed to promote tendon strength. At least, that's what I got from reading the articles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alek @ May 07 2005,1:31)]But what's the point of the burn anyway? Is it neccesary for a proper cycle or?
Good, I'm thinking of some Vinegar myself latley.

OK, Long story short.

Burning in the muscle is a cause of byproducts, mostly Lactic Acid buildup. Lack of oxygen, hypoxia, produces a chain of events that kicks off a protein kinase called Mitogen Activated Protein Kinase Extracellular Regulating Kinase 1 and 2, MAPK ERK 1/2 for short. MAPK ERK 1/2 was indentified as a marker of hypertrophy but to a lesser degree than MAPK P38, another MAPK. Inducing the burn during a set makes one
reasonably sure they are inducing this road of hypertrophy. That's why we do drop sets and or high rep sets in the heavier weight to elicit this response. Increased metabolic work, IE burn or lactic acid buildup, also increases the quality of the tissue plus, a real yummy effect, it helps with connective tissue repair through collagen rebuilding. HST prescribes the 15's to be a precursor of sorts to prepare the tendons for the onslaught of working heavy via the burn, lactic acid, prepping the tendons and other connective tissue.

Is it neccessary. I feel yes, but some skip the 15's, but one shouldn't skip the drops or high rep sets during the heavy stuff because you will be missing out on all the wonderful stuff that it brings. ;)

Sorry didn't mean to step on your post there Rovi, I guess I was writing my essay as your posted your brief but effective answer. Sorry bout that, but you are right
thumbs-up.gif
Are you doing your homework? ;)

Back