2 newbie questions I havent heard addressed

• Thread starter imported_eric.malitz
  • Start date
I

imported_eric.malitz

I just did my 2 weeks of 15's (I have worked out for 4 years and done HST in the past when I first started lifting)

1. On the max day (and the harder days leading up to it) how am I supposed to be able to my maxes for ALL the exercises? For example, I do my max set for weighted pullups, then dumbbell rows, but by the time I get to curls, my bi's are not nearly strong enough to do the max curl set because of the other biceps involving exercises.

2. Taking the first question into account, I dont know if I had a bad workout day overall or whatever, but i feel like on my max 15's day I certainly wasnt stronger- if anything, weaker on certain exercises. Whats the next step in this case? drop the max's by 5 pounds and start over or move onto 10's??

definitely move into the 10's.

it's no big deal if you weren't able to lift exactly what was planned. you'll still be able to add weight to the bar and make your progressions.

it's a lot to ask of a seasoned lifter; to get stronger within two weeks. I would hold off on evaluating your current cycle for another month...

what are your goals?

Am I reading you wrong? your second to last workout would have been merely one increment less than your maxes, and you supposably completed those.
If you were on a subsequent HST cycle, that workout above would have been your former maxes, so it's not two weeks of strength gains, but rather an entire cycle of work that has brought you to this point.
You should be well able to continue your progression into new territory, but as was stated, not to worry if you flag a bit toward the end of the workout; just cluster anything you need to. You are still stronger than you were before and the workload is the key; not making the intermittent maxes. As a "first" cycle, progression and consistency is all that matters.
When you hit the max fives and go beyond, the maxes take on a different sense of importance, both improving strength and monitoring your cycle; they tell you when to deload or, finally, to SD. Still, clustering, MS, 3's, and negs are fine at this point if you'd rather not SD.

Look to get all reps of the first set. Cluster the remaining sets, if needed. Save iso's for last, and if you can't do them, who cares!?!?

what do you mean by 'cluster'?

and do most of you do 1 or 2 sets for major group exercises?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">what do you mean by 'cluster'?</div>

just a means to complete a set.

ie, I intend to hit a set of 15 reps, but come close to failing at 13. in order to complete the set, I rack the weight, breathe, and then complete two more reps.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">and do most of you do 1 or 2 sets for major group exercises?</div>

yes...and no. generally, volume decreases as load increases.

I don't do one set for anything except if I'm having trouble with 15's.
If I'm doing 2 or 3 sets, I do the same for all four exersizes.
I do bi iso's once a week and tri's once a week.

Eric

Actually this has been disucssed before, just not a thread dedicated to it...and almost ad nauseaum...anyway.

Cluster = as the word implies, divide your reps into clusters and use this to complete the target reps, usually the rest is not as would be for a second set, i.o.w. minimal in this case!

Many of us do 1 set for 15's and use little rest in between, but that is relative and very individual (i.o.w. do not look for exact guidelines).

If you do a second set, do not bother with targetting the exact number of reps specially on the last day of a rep range...on this day alone you can and should hit failure on the last rep (this of course is my opinion).
wink.gif

Last but not least: IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING TO DO ISOS LAST, THEN DROP THEM!
biggrin.gif

Back