2nd HST Cycle Need Advice Please ---- Thxs

XORN

Hey,

After my 1st HST cycle which I was really happy with , I will be starting a new one soon.
I am currently on my SD and will be starting an modified HST Cycle after SD is over.

this is how my previous HST Cycle was like...

( All Wieghts in KG - not including the Bar wieght )

Decline Bench Press --- 5 RM = 55

Slight Incline Dumbell Press --- 5RM = 2 x 28

Clean & Push Press --- 5 RM = 45

Shoulder Press --- 5RM = 2 x 24

Barbell Shrugs / Reverse Shrugs --- 5RM = 70

E-Z Bar Bicep Curls Med & Close Grip --- 5RM = 40

Reverse Grip Bent Over Row --- 5RM = 60

Close Grip Triceps Bench Press --- 5RM = 45

Squats --- 5RM = 65

Calf Leg Machine Press --- 5RM = 100

E-Z Bar Decline Crunches --- 5RM = 36

Deadlift --- 5RM = 90

I did the normal 15 x 1 - 10 x 2 - 5 x 3
Which lasted me roughly 2 hours - i will be reducing the number of excercies fot the next cycle to this >>

( All Wieghts in KG - not including the Bar wieght )

Squats --- 4RM = 77.5

Deadlifts --- 4RM = 100

Flat Bench Press --- 4RM = 67.5

1 Hand Dumbell Curls --- 4RM = 24[/B REMOVED - Added in - 1 Hand Dumbell Rows

Slight Incline Flys --- 4RM = 2 x 28

Miltery Press --- 4RM = 45

Dumbell Tricep Extension --- 4RM = 2 x 24 [/B] REMOVED
Weighted Chinups --- 4RM = 24

Machine Crunches --- 4RM = 60

This cycle will be like this >>

14 and 12 Rep x 1 Set
10 and 8 Rep x 2 Sets
6 and 4 Rep x 3 Sets

Which wil last 6 weeks >>

Now what do you guys think of this cycle ?

Any advice on excercies and the rep and sets ranges will be usefull >>

Thank You

Last edited:
Hi Xorn,

Just my brief input for now.

Your first workout - way too much. Two hours in the gym three times a week, unless you're a professional athlete, is too much. Plus you had a lot of unnecessary exercises, duplicating themselves.

The second workout looks more sensible. The frequency and reps/sets range are fine.
Unless you are alternating workouts, squats and deadlifts in the same workout are very hard going, especially when you're lifting near your rm. Do one or the other, or alternate.

Personally, I dont think you need one arm dumbbell curls AND weighted chins in the same workout either.
Nor do you need flyes AND bench press. Unless you are a very experienced lifter, or competitive BBer, then I wouldnt bother with the flyes for the moment. Benches, and dips will work your chest much more efficiently.

Also, you have two chest exercises, but only one back. Your back is a much larger muscle group, and needs to be hit from various angles. I appreciate that chest are one of the 'show group' of muscles, but in reality, upper body size, posture and strength comes from a good back workout, rather than a chest one.

In short; squats OR deads, not both in the same workout. Drop the flyes. Drop the dumbbell curls and tricep extensions. Your bis and tris will get enough work from the benches, military presses, and chin ups - remember, you're training 3 X a week. That is, over the week, a lot of work. Dont overtrain.

Have a good read of the Simplify and Win thread, for some better w/o examples.

Good luck

Brix

Thank you for the information ,

I agree my 1st HST Cycle was quite abit stressing due to amount of time it used to take.

I agree I need to alternate the deadlift and squats but at the moment i feel comfortable using them both in same workout cause i dont think am using that much heavy wieghts at the moment , once i get to that stage i will alternate them both.

I will drop the 1 hand dumbell curls and tricep extensions from my workout and add in 1 hand dumbell rows for back.

Thxs alot for the advice.

I would love to add in dips instead of flys but the machine at my gym is the assisted one and its hard to use wieghted dips on that :(

Unless you have a need like martial arts or powerlifting assistance I would ditch the Machine Crunches and add in a Trap exercise like Shrugs or something. Your core muscles are going to get plenty of work supporting your Bench, Squat, Deadlift and other compound movements, but bigger abs aren’t going to make you look bigger. However, bigger traps will make you look bigger no matter if you are wearing swimming trunks or a business suit.

Like Brix said a big upper back will make you look big and powerful. So unless you are going for a “fitness model” look (big chest, defined abs and small back, which only matters when you’re not wearing a shirt) I would make sure to develop a powerful back, which will make you look bigger all of the time. It will also signal to other lifters in the gym that you know how to workout and are not just a poser.

I’ve only been lifting for 7 months and have been getting comments from everyone about how “big,” “huge,” and “thick” (wearing my work cloths) I look which I attribute more than anything to doing heavy Deadlifts which are developing my back.

Hi Grunt,

I see your point about training back for better muscalor frame but i also want to have a 6 pack along with it .

I will add in dumbell shrugs also but i really dont want to leave out crunches because i hardly ever workout my abs and am afraid when I start cutting in a few months time - it will take some time before my abs start to apear - or do squats , deadlift , chins - work my abs more than enough ?

Cause to be honest machine crunches i consider to be fairly easy going at the end of a workout dont you agree?

Also I will alternate squats and deadlifts now --- so monday and friday will be squats and wednesday will be deadlifts.

will start of workut with wieghted chins followed by squats / deadlifts then bench press etc etc this will be get the most taxing excercices out of the way first.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing separate ab work. The factors that come into play are the time it takes during your workout, recovery and what you really get for your effort. Having 6-pack abs is more about body fat than anything else. IMO doing extra ab work beyond what you’re already getting from your compound exercises isn’t going to make much of a difference in how your 6-pack looks compared to losing body fat. However, if it gives you peace of mind and doesn’t hamper any of your heavier lifts then I don’t see any problem including them.

The main reason I mention this is because 15 years ago when I first lifted I was all worried about getting fat and losing definition, which being naturally skinny I felt was my strong suit. However, in worrying about such things it took me almost 3 years to bulk from 135 lbs. up to 168 lbs. Now 15 years later (much less testosterone I’m sad to say) I’ve bulked from 140 lbs. up to 170 lbs. in 7 months because I stopped worrying about body fat and have either cut out or cut back all “ancillary” work and focused on compound exercises, eating and resting.

If you really want to get big I feel you should focus on heavy compound movements. Once you are getting close to as big as you want then worry about sculpting your body, abs, arm isos etc. . . . Just a more efficient if not pretty way of doing it IMO.

Since abdominal muscles don’t have a huge potential for growth, (strengthening yes) I don’t spend time doing extra ab when my focus is just to get bigger. Eventually I will start to focus more on improving my powerlifts at which time I will add in more ab work as assistance exercises.

Thank you Grunt and Brix for the excellent advice you guys have given me -----

I have reworked my workout keeping in mind what you 2 have said and came up with this workout

Wieghted Chins
Squats / Deadlift
Flat Bench Press
(Chest Dips - Need Advise on This )
1 Hand Dumbell Row
Miltery press
Dumbell Shrugs

Now on the Dips part - I would really like to add this to my routine but like i mentioned before my gym only has the assisted machine for dips and i cant seem to figure out how i can use the dips in a progressive load fashion for hst on that machine ?

maybe do Asssited dips for 14 - 12 x 1 set and do Bodywieght 10 - 8 x 2 set then Bodywieght 6 - 4 x 3 set but how would i add increaments etc? or should i just skip dips and add in something else or shall i jus leave out dips alltogether?

Now on the Dips part - I would really like to add this to my routine but like i mentioned before my gym only has the assisted machine for dips and i cant seem to figure out how i can use the dips in a progressive load fashion for hst on that machine ?
If your gym has power racks you could do dips the way I do at home. I place the safety bars at the height I want with the hooks on one side on the hole above the safety bars. Then I put 2 Olympic bars across the safety bars and it forms a sort of triangle and I can do dips using the Olympic bars. Because the hooks angle the Olympic bars in I can vary the width depending on where I grab the Olympic bars.

Another option if the assisted dip machine doesn’t allow enough room for hanging weight from your belt is to hold a Dumbell between your ankles or knees. You could also try putting the weight in a small backpack on your back, though this can screw up your center of balance if it gets heavy.

(much less testosterone I’m sad to say.

Wouldnt it be great to have the higher test levels now, with the knowledge that we have now accumulated over the years..... or even the knowledge we now have, back in the days when we had the testosterone!

Oh well...

XORN,

Yes, your routine looks much better now.

Personally, I would do the squats or deads first, working the thigh and back mucles, as they require a huge amount of effort, and if you start with the chins - which are also highly energy consuming - you may find yourself not as efficient by not lifting as much as you could for the squats/deads.

It makes sense to me, to work the biggest muscles first, so I have the most energy for them.

But thats just a small point. Otherwise I think your routine looks good. You should see some good results.

Most assisted dip machines that I have seen, the knee pad/seat usually has the function to collapse, allowing free bwt dips? Therefore, you can hang various weights - in increments - from a weight belt, or, as Grunt suggested, between your ankles/legs?
Otherwise, dont fret, just keep on with the flat benches instead.

Keep us posted on how you get on... oh, and remember to eat!

Brix

Wouldnt it be great to have the higher test levels now, with the knowledge that we have now accumulated over the years..... or even the knowledge we now have, back in the days when we had the testosterone!

Oh well...

That sure is the truth!

Thxs Brix for the advice about using squats/deads first in my workout ----- I will definatly do that :p

I will keep u all posted on my results :p

and yes about eating ----- Month of ramadan at the moment :( I have a gap of 7 hours where I stuff myself with 3k+ cals and 180 g protien but am looking on the bright side at the moment because every night is a massive feast in our family - which means ------ Chicken / brown rice / fruits / chicken massale / chicken tikka / all variety of fish :) fruit chaat ( about 10+ different fruits cut up into lil bits and some spicy masala on top of it for a really healthy desert )

I always open the fast with a whey protien shake in milk and then hit the gym 30 min later afterwards another protien shake then start munching away on the chicken and rice + fruit chaat --- then 3 hours later another feast oof rice and chicken + protien shake :)

its really hard to eat so much in a short time frame but i know I have to otherwise my time in gym is a waste without the cals and protien to back it up .

so i know this month all my calls and protien will be from good source :)

Back