2x week HST

abarlament

I know some of you have done 2x/week HST routines, I'm thinking about doing one of my own, since I have to do a lot of PT this quarter at school (for an ROTC competition called Ranger Challenge, it's a PT test, orienteering, shooting, building a rope bridge, a 10k ruck run, stuff like that).

Anyways, I was going to do something like

Squat/Deads
Bench
Row
OHP
Lat PD/Chin
Weighted abs

Volume possibly at 20 reps per exercise (cluster), does that sound about right for lifting twice a week, or should it be higher? I have good recovery ability, I've done 6x a week full body earlier this year, but I'll be concentrating on cutting calories this time.

twice a week. The other stuff is the PT 4 or 5 days a week, and possibly some extra running if the regular RC training workload was low that week. Calories won't be insanely high, I'd like to lose some weight to help with the run.

I haven't lifted in about 4 weeks because I was at Airborne school, so if I've lost any size I might regain some size if I've lost any, same with strength. I'm starting with weights usable for the 15 rep range.

Ordinarily, I'm thinking that you might up the reps a bit to get closer to the volume that you'd have in a 3x/week routine. However, if you're going to cut and have all that other activity it might not be the best to do so. So, I'm not sure, perhaps some with more cutting experience will chime in there.

One thing that I'm thinking is that 1x/week squats may not be optimal. Depending on how much quad/glute recruitment you get in your deadlifts I'm thinking you might instead try stiff leg deads with squats, and then it might be more feasible to do both each workout. For me, at least, SLDLs are a lot easier to do in the same workout as squats than regular deads are. I get some quad / glute work from regular deads, but not like from squats, so I'd be reluctant to do squats only 1x/week.

Everyone's different, so YMMV, but that's how I'd approach it.

Back